Diablo III Blog on Class Changes Coming, PTR Download Button Active On Launcher, Blue Posts, Curse Weekly Roundup

Quote from phatosen

Quote from AlucardIX

http://us.battle.net...opic/6521343540
    People always bash on WW barbs nowadays...

This guy truly has it figured out. Don't kill mah WW-barb! Being disconnected every 10 mins because of WW is bad enough...
    His point about barbarian gear is moot. Barbarian gear is more expensive because of how fast they farm exp and blast through content, and consequently how popular they are, it is not a justification for the efficiency ceiling differential. It probably takes similar amounts of gold to put together most builds (Critical Mass, Double Tornado, or equivalent DH, WD, and Monk builds) to the point of being able to farm act 3 comfortablty, but the payoff at the end is clearly weighted towards barbarians right now when we talk about very high end gearsets. I'd rather they focused on making other classes and other builds of barbarian just as viable but its hard to see them doing that efficiently without tying moving faster into killing faster the way the tornado build does, which won't lead to a lot of build diversity.

As to 1.0.5's mystery changes that will wind up as buffs even though they look like nerfs, I suspect as others do something like the following. How damage reduction is calculated is going to change substantially through a buffing of the baseline damage reduction of armor and resistances, and to compensate for that skills like War Cry and Energy Armor and passives like them are going to be nerfed to roughly the same effect they have now in terms of damage reduction gains. The reason for this being two fold: first, for pretty much every class that has an effect like this, it is the most ubiquitous skill of that class, and in the case of some (wizards primarily) it is locking out other skills and runes because of it, making those skills under-utilized. Second, damage relative to EHP probably needs to come down some before PVP goes live to prevent it from being an affair made up completely of one shots where temporary damage immunity skills reign supreme.
    Quote from Molster

Quote from Timmylol

Quote from Zinjil

So nerfs get compensated by other ways then. I wonder how and what they will do!

I'm guessing they will be "re-balancing (i.e. nerfing)" the skills/runes that are deemed absolutely necessary right now, and buffing the underused ones to make them more competitive.

A good example is the whirlwind/sprint/into the affray/thrive on chaos synergy, I highly doubt Blizzard will leave this alone the way it is. Then there's skills like Overpower/Cleave/Threatening Shout that are overlooked not because they're bad, but simply get eclipsed by better skills.

Thats not what they mean tho, We would see that by datamining (see that some were nerfed, some were buffed) something is changing that we cant datamine, whatever it is, buffs everything, in return I guess they needed to nerf the skills (But they still end up stronger)

The only thing that comes to mind, when they say something like that, is that with PvP there will be different numbers associated with skills. A PvE number and a PvP number. They mentioned this while talking about PvP many months ago. They will look like nerfs, but they will only effect PvP.
    Please don't make my WD worthless again!
    I'd love for my legendaries to be hand-delivered by vibrantly-colored equines.
    I call bs. As a DH my class, my build, my playstyle or my performance was nerfed several times since May 15th. Blizzard may call it a bug fix, or sometimes outright lie and say it's a buff, what I get is a net nerf.

I don't expect it'll bee different this time either, whatever they say. I'll have to grind for different gear, find a different build, plan different farming routes. I'll have to climb the ladder of effectiveness again, with no apparent reason.

Sigh. No, actually I don't have to, but let me see the patch before I quit.
    Quote from m4st0d0n

No, Blizzard clearly broke your heart. You should punish them, and quit now.
    Seriously man, if you want to quit the game because of a class/skill nerf, you're playing for the wrong reasons.
    AWWWWWW hells yeah! Winner Winner chicken dinner
    My guess is this has a lot to do with the CC changes comming down the pipe. We already heard they are going to remove the CC reduction for inferno (on the first hit anyway) and have the CC resistance stack with each new CC. I imagine this means that some of the existing CC numbers and timers are going to come down.

When we see the datamine changes we'll see things like "stun duration reduced from 10 seconds to 8 seconds" and think "NERF!" but the reality is that in inferno we only get a 6 second stun in the current game due to CC reduction. With the changes, we'll actually be GAINING another 2 seconds to the stun, but the tooltip change and datamined information will not make us realize that's what's happening.

I'm fairly certain this won't have much to do with Damage at all.
    Diablo 3 playthroughs and guides via Kagekaze's Domain or Twitch TV
    Come on by and comment on YouTube or chat on Twitch, twitch chat is often watched
    lol i like the fact that most off us are sharing the same wallpaper like the picture was taken :P

now lets go for some PvP, is Jay Wilson gona take part in that arena ??? :lol:

http://eu.battle.net...ew#/fanart-0095

No More Auction House!
    My faith is restored to them :Thumbs Up:
    Now just give us and a offline mode like sc2 B)
    WOOOOT! pvp ptr!!!!
    aweeeesomeee

I hope its coming out soon ;
    Finally..! And congratz to the winners ;)
    Quote from phatosen
    Seriously man, if you want to quit the game because of a class/skill nerf, you're playing for the wrong reasons.

Oh no, I'm playing for the right reasons. Those reasons might not be the same as yours though. But I don't see the reason in your post. Think it over what you just said.

-----

I see this warning to fansites as another PR fail of Blizzard around Diablo 3. Most things are fine, 1.04 did good, people are playing, and then wham, Blizzard comes out of it's silence and breaks the calm with a "DON'T PANIC" warning. I see people panic just because of this warning, including myself, because historically, fixing the game resulted in nerfs to my class, builds, gear, etc.
    Quote from phatosen

Quote from m4st0d0n

No, Blizzard clearly broke your heart. You should punish them, and quit now.

I really wonder what the SC2 folks think, when balance changes were actually handed out, some rather big ones too back in the old days.
    Quote from m4st0d0n

Quote from phatosen

Oh no, I'm playing for the right reasons. Those reasons might not be the same as yours though. But I don't see the reason in your post. Think it over what you just said.

All I'm saying is you sound reeeeally butthurt.

Quote from m4st0d0n

I see people panic just because of this warning, including myself, because historically, fixing the game resulted in nerfs to my class, builds, gear, etc.

Big picture bro. Look at it. If nerfs were hitting you, odds are it was hitting others too. It's called "balancing". Unless you're suggesting Blizzard is out to get you.
    I don't mean to be rude, but threatening to quit a game because of changes that haven't even been announced is just silly.

Quote from achan1058

I really wonder what the SC2 folks think, when balance changes were actually handed out, some rather big ones too back in the old days.

SC2... The old days? Game's 2 years old man. :D Yeah, well... SC2 can't really be compared to Diablo 3, it has an ENORMOUS PvP scene, Diablo doesn't... Yet :)
    each time cookie-cutter strategy gets nerfed by blizzard, a kitty dies!

so they usually left them be...

WW barbarians can be rest assured their precious, 15-years-old cookie will remain main playstyle forever. be sure not to try anything else, cause it's so fun...

(coming from a diablo1 player who played many many barbarians, some of them WW)

seriously, i'll be pleasantly surprised if WW gets nerfed (OR other playstyles brought to same level of efficiency), but blizzard tends to avoid changing the obvious culprits IF they are popular (look at wc3 - BM, DH, DK/Lich and AM were changed... well never, even when obviously being cookies and overpowered... for years)

i would be indifferent to whole stuff, if only my gear wouldn't mainly coming from AH, collected by *someone* who has a *certain skills* that allow him to farm while power-leveling where i can't - basically, i feed that *someone* through my own farming - so it kinda matters
    a reluctant follower of Clavdivs, The God balancing ideas. you can find more about it by visiting the following topic:
    http://www.diablofan...-future-patchs/

the website of Clavdivs:
    http://savediablo3.wix.com/diablo3#!home/mainPage
    Quote from von_Oberstain

WW barbarians can be rest assured their precious, 15-years-old cookie will remain main playstyle forever. be sure not to try anything else, cause it's so fun...

seriously, i'll be pleasantly surprised if WW gets nerfed (OR other playstyles brought to same level of efficiency), but blizzard tends to avoid changing the obvious culprits IF they are popular (look at wc3 - BM, DH, DK/Lich and AM were changed... well never, even when obviously being cookies and overpowered... for years)

i would be indifferent to whole stuff, if only my gear wouldn't mainly coming from AH, collected by *someone* who has a *certain skills* that allow him to farm while power-leveling where i can't - basically, i feed that *someone* through my own farming - so it kinda matters

All of the heroes you mentioned did recieve a nerf/buff at one time or another. WoW has "flavor of the month" classes that gets adjusted as well. Just because it's popular doesn't make it immune to nerfs or buffs.

I can see the Sprint: Run Like the Wind rune for barbarians being nerfed. Possibly a nerf to it's proc rate to either remove it or to make it weaker. Wizards had their proc rate on Energy Twister lowered, Demon Hunters had their proc rate on Caltrops completely removed.
    Quote from m4st0d0n

Quote from phatosen

-----

I see this warning to fansites as another PR fail of Blizzard around Diablo 3. Most things are fine, 1.04 did good, people are playing, and then wham, Blizzard comes out of it's silence and breaks the calm with a "DON'T PANIC" warning. I see people panic just because of this warning, including myself, because historically, fixing the game resulted in nerfs to my class, builds, gear, etc.

I think you are looking at this all wrong. No need to panic at all.

They know we datamine information. They also knew if we just post that, People would go crazy thinking there are nerfs (when most of them will not be) So they were kind enough to say "Hey, youll be seeing something like this, but it wont be the full picture)

This information should have been posted only when we datamined the info, but there was an issue with too many people getting the info in this email, and then someone posted it to reddit (which shouldnt have happend, and was silly as seeing we don;t even have the datamined info yet)

But Its just a friendly "Hey, the numbers you guys always pull wont be exactly what you see at face value, let people know" that's nice.
    I'm gonna be pissy if they give Witch Doctors any nerfs.
    HC - Clydecash lv. 20
    Molster, thanks for link ;)
    We are waiting for your class changes datamine :)
    Quote from urasim

Quote from von_Oberstain

All of the heroes you mentioned did recieve a nerf/buff at one time or another. WoW has "flavor of the month" classes that gets adjusted as well. Just because it's popular doesn't make it immune to nerfs or buffs

hmmm... and i thought i've played a thousands of games throughout all patches... could it be possible i'm wrong? (citing from memory):
    - DH was nerfed ONCE - mana burn from 300/200/100 to 150/100/50, still left with ~20% more dps and +6-7 attributes more than others (BM excluded), and if that wasn't necessary, i don't know what was. and it happen like 5+ years ago
    - BM actually got buffed with WW (similarity coincidental) collision removal (also left with dps/attributes matching those of DH) - worse, viable alternative FS was nerfed
    - AM aura was changed (also needed, also happen long ago)
    - undead heroes - i can't remember any significant changes (except shop removal of clarity potion, in like 1.07, maybe earlier)

point is, it all happened very long ago, and for bunch of patches following just... ignored

however, this not being WC3 forum, no point pursuing that further. just pointing out the way blizzard handled popular imbalances by ignoring them in the past

in d2, i wasn't complaining type - 0 complaints in total (all classes played, different builds). i don't have problem with barbarians whatsoever, OR their skills - it's the impact they have on AH.

buffing other classes/skill to a WW level would keep everyone satisfied and game diverse and interesting... but numerous whines 'if my imbalanced build gets balanced and i find myself equal to others, i'm leaving the game, cause i can't abuse no longer' look too much like official forums and doesn't bring any good
    a reluctant follower of Clavdivs, The God balancing ideas. you can find more about it by visiting the following topic:
    http://www.diablofan...-future-patchs/

the website of Clavdivs:
    http://savediablo3.wix.com/diablo3#!home/mainPage
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes