Top 5 Best Diablo Clones

As everyone awaits more Diablo III goodness to come out of the Blizzard offices, there are more than a few games out there to provide us our Diablo "fix". A legion of Diablo "clones" that are simply waiting to be played. While not clones in the strictest sense of the definition, these action RPGs most certainly borrow the core concepts that made the Diablo series a success. They're good games, and if you're a fan of Diablo, you'll definitely want to play them.

Top 5 Best Diablo Clones
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hellforge: Forging a passion for video games.
    those game's shouldn't even be considered in the same league as diablo II.
    Nicey. I didn't play anything there except Titan Quest: Immortal Throne which is by the way a pretty good time killer, really is a Diablo 2 clone. Act 2 = desert, Act 3 = forests, there's even a quest where you need to find a Jade Figurine :P but it's still an awesome game gameplay-wise and pretty much expands Diablo 2 in a way with a completely different class system, I would advice to give it a try.
    The top rated three are terrible compared to Diablo, which would mean that these newer ones are even worse.
    Still they are pretty decent, but not actually worthy much of the time.
    I'm dissapointed that Nox or Throne of Darkness are not on this list.
    Probably a young fellow wrote this.

EDIT: I'm 20.
    Quote from "KonataX" »
    lol it can still easily be a ranger since who said you cant shoot arrows at melee distance xD

Quote from "Archie" »
    The Barbarian is from Arreat, a very cold snowy mountain top, but they are much tougher than normal humans, so they don't need warmth.

Quote from "Archie" »
    Where are Barbarians originally from? Sumeria, or more specifically Mesopotamia, AKA Europe. Think the Alps and the Pyrenees

Epic quotes... all of them
    i wonder why ??,shouldnt be Hellgate too???
    + they are so many games who are just like diablo, Elders Scrolls
    I admit Titan Quest is very identically,but its not dark-gothic
    When All the Corrupted Souls Will Fall In To My Hands No Angel Or The Bravest Hero Cant Defeat Me
    Im The Essence Of Darkness
    Beware Foolish Mortals The Death Nearly Aprochesee[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, since when is Dungeon Siege a Diablo clone. Heh, you probably never played them anyway. You should add tetris while you're at it. Hey Sol what gives?
    Quote from "KonataX" »
    lol it can still easily be a ranger since who said you cant shoot arrows at melee distance xD

Quote from "Archie" »
    The Barbarian is from Arreat, a very cold snowy mountain top, but they are much tougher than normal humans, so they don't need warmth.

Quote from "Archie" »
    Where are Barbarians originally from? Sumeria, or more specifically Mesopotamia, AKA Europe. Think the Alps and the Pyrenees

I totaly agree with 1st and 2nd place (sacred and Titan quest) - they are the best clones of diablo right now. but there is one more game wich isnt in list its the chinese game - Blade & Sword.

here is review of the game.
    http://www.armchairempire.com/Reviews/PC%20Games/blade-sword.htm

note that blade&sword was before d2 ;) more like diablo 1 clone
    Quote from "Paladin88" »

I'm dissapointed that Nox or Throne of Darkness are not on this list.
    Probably a young fellow wrote this.

EDIT: I'm 20.

I've never seen Nox mentioned on this website. It truly is a fantastic game. I went back and replayed it just a month ago.

Now that's what I call a Diablo clone. :D
    Frigid Highlands anyone?

Quote from "KonataX" »

Quote from "Archie" »

Quote from "Archie" »

Don't get so hasty about Sacred, they ain't supporting it anymore very well, it's laggy and things like that. And Sacred 2 is totally different from D2.

And the maker of Titan Quest has actually said that he was wondering why no1 is making a clone of the very best game ever, so he decided to make one, tadaa, Titan Quest was born. :)
    I'd definitly vote for both Sacred & Fate. Loved them both :)

Lv01 Witch Doctor --> 11:30am EST - May 15, 2012
    Lv60 Witch Doctor --> 12:52pm EST - May 22, 2012
    5. Mythos:
    Hmm, well can't really say much about this as I never had the chance to play it. Hope it'll come out some day, it seems to have alot of potential.

4. Divine Divinity:
    Never played it, aren't really interested in playing it either.

3. Dungeon Siege II:
    Quote from "Paladin88" »
    Yeah, since when is Dungeon Siege a Diablo clone. Heh, you probably never played them anyway. You should add tetris while you're at it. Hey Sol what gives?

What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever played Dungeon Siege 1? Then play Dungeon Siege 2 after that, you'll see just how much of a Diablo clone Dungeon Siege 2 is. It ruined the game for me, they used the concepts of Diablo in a game that played quite differently, and it left a game that wasn't really anything. Dungeon Siege 1 was so much better. Basically, what they did was, they went "hmm, Dungeon Siege 1 was a good game, not great but good. What if we throw in some stuff from Diablo 2? Might make it better..".

Anyway, it depends how you look at it. One might say that every Action RPG is a Diablo clone, and they'd be right to an extent.

2. Titan Quest:
    Quote from "Romak" »
    Nicey. I didn't play anything there except Titan Quest: Immortal Throne which is by the way a pretty good time killer, really is a Diablo 2 clone. Act 2 = desert, Act 3 = forests, there's even a quest where you need to find a Jade Figurine :P but it's still an awesome game gameplay-wise and pretty much expands Diablo 2 in a way with a completely different class system, I would advice to give it a try.

Heh, yeah and Act 1 = grasslands, act 4 = underworld (the Greek equivalent of hell.. well okay, also heaven, but whatever).

I thought it was a nice game, but the things I missed mostly were skills that stand out on it's own, cool sound effects, cool monster death (monster death were handled solely by the engine, while fun at the start it just lacked something there..). The different combination of masteries you could make also left alot to be desired when it comes to differentiating. Played a character with Dream and Warfare? Well, than you'd better not play another character that has Dream and Defense because it'll feel like playing half the same character all over again.. Which pretty much limited, imo, the different feeling classes to 4. Which is exactly the opposite of what they wanted to achieve. So.. the game is fun for one or two rundowns, but that's it.

1. Sacred:
    I played a demo before it was released. I liked the idea of mounted combat back then, and it seemed like an *okay* game. Then years later I remembered it and tried to play it, but it was really dissapointing. I can't really explain, just the art direction and everything looked so.. boring.
    This signature has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM
    I played all of those game's instead of "Mythos" because it isn't out yet, And maybe even won't get released because Flagship Studios got kind of bankrupt, but all i can say is: They all sucked pretty bad !

Nothing can compare to the diablo franchise.. just nothing..
    But hey, thx anyway.. :)
    While none of them are as good as Diablo II, I gotta say I really like Titan Quest. I would've put TQ on top of the list. Sacred didn't even keep me long enough for a single play-through, whereas TQ was fun enough to play through several times.
    Dungeon Siege is a Clone but its a crap one... Theres no fun playing it, you just have to walk, find a group of monsters and simple watch your character killing them automatically, of course that you could disable automatic retalation but was still boooooring.

I dont know if it is just my impression but all those "clone games" make you get bored really fast, and i dont know why, many of them are good, like Titan Quest.
    Quote from "Daaavid" »
    I dont know if it is just my impression but all those "clone games" make you get bored really fast, and i dont know why, many of them are good, like Titan Quest.

That's exactly what I thought. Then I thought about it some more, and noticed they're all missing these things: diversity of skills, over-the-top effects, over-the-top monster deaths... The animation, graphic style and sounds is what makes Diablo much better than those games.
    Then there's also the individual flaws within these games.. But you can look at my previous post for that one :)
    This signature has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM
    Mythos was pretty tight, but sad to say I don't think it'll ever be getting released. Runic's (former Flagship Seattle guys, they are NOT responsible for that mess that is HGL) making something new that should surpass anything they did with Mythos. I've been talking to their lead dev for a really long time now, and he's a pretty cool guy alright. I feel bad that Mythos went down, because that game had so much potential.

I listed DS2 as a Diablo clone because it damn well is. I mean, it might not seem that way, but play the first game and you'll see its roots. It's not a bad game, either, though multiplayer's pretty regrettable for its lack of secure servers and shoddy functionality. Damn good game to play at LAN parties, though I'll hand it that.

Divine Divinity's not really a Diablo clone per se, but the combat and skill system's about the same as D2 and most of the game consists of that despite its more Ultima VII-ish concepts.

I'd have listed Nox, but that game deserves an article of its own, IMO. It's just that good and I don't consider it a clone because it was in development at the same time as Diablo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hellforge: Forging a passion for video games.
    Hmm. I'd definitely say Mythos looks pretty cool...but..

Why not just play D2? lol It beats all those games and lets face it...ITS A DIABLO GAME :D

But i can say this:

The only diablo clone i want anything to do with is the one that drops an Anni :)
    Quote from "Millitia" »
    those game's shouldn't even be considered in the same league as diablo II.

Quote from "Ivaron" »
    4. Divine Divinity:
    Never played it, aren't really interested in playing it either.

Quote from "Tats" »
    Why not just play D2? lol It beats all those games and lets face it...ITS A DIABLO GAME

Divine Divinity is by far one of the best isometric RPG's ever made. Better than the Diablo series even.

Militia is right, they aren't in the same league. DD is one notch above.
    Punchifying crotches since 1987.

Vote:
    http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17929
    "Fate" is good D1 clone

anyway - if you look for beter than Diablo clone - maybe "Gothic" 1 / 2 / 3 will change your point of view for RPG's :P
    A knight is sworn to valor.
    His heart knows only virtue.
    His blade defends the helpless.
    His might upholds the weak.
    His word speaks only truth.
    His wrath undoes the wicked!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes