Let's Get Realistic -- Inferno Wizard Build

After seeing the video posted on DiabloFans main page recently, I figure that we may all be underestimating the difficulty of Inferno. I put together this build based off some more realistic expectations (assuming it really is going to be hard as sh*).

http://us.battle.net...gYiO!dUV!YZbYaY

I think it's got some great survivability, but is also capable of dealing some decent damage. Only part I wasn't 100% comfortable with is Conflag -- that could be changed, but I didn't really see anything else that seemed necessary.

Edit: Also note that it has the ability to deal 3 different types of damage, which may be key in later difficulties (even though there are no immunities, there will certainly be high resistances to specific types of damage).
    Playing a Wizard. Looking for Demon Hunters to play with.
    If you're taking Arcane Orb you should also take Arcane Torrent with Crimson Runestone and forget about Meteor imo as these 2 spells have awesome Synergy.
    Here is my Wizard build for Inferno, maybe it can give you some ideas. http://eu.battle.net...YVQm!YdU!bZZcZb
    Nice build dude, I only changed 2 things, Energy Armor for Archon with Golden Rune and Conflag for Evocation.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VmgYiO!dUT!YbbYaY
    Casanova: Arcane Orb + Torrent do have great synergy, but I was shooting for the 3 different damage type (2 main spells + sig. spell) to help against resistances. If you run into a arcane resistant enemy, I'm not sure the +30% damage would overcome the resistance difference. Not to mention meteor is superior damage when just looking at the numbers, even with +30% damage.
    The idea behind my spells were fairly simple -- cast meteor (the time it takes to drop all 13 meteors should be longer than normal meteor spell) then while the meteors hail down, throw out AOrbs. When meteors finish, repeat.
    I do like your build, it's really solid. I also appreciate your input.

zerObit: Thanks man. I try to avoid builds using Archon for now because we still have no idea what abilities we are able to use while in this form. I don't totally agree with the Evocation point -- in my build there's only 1 spell on a cooldown, and 20% doesn't decrease it that much, nor should it need to be used too often if played cautiously. But, it's certainly an option, as I'm not totally convinced the build needs Conflag.
    Good point, seemed to miss that. In that case I'd swap out Evo for Blur, for the 20% melee damage reduction. Assuming that in Inferno you will be taking melee damage, 20% less with what the higher level mobs will be hitting for could be quite nice.
    Wheres the slow bro? That build looks more like you intend to take it in the face rather than keep them away or stop them.
    Not my choice imo.
    One is never hurt by being given additional choices, only by taking them away.
    A QUADRILLION MAGIC FIND is worthless if you can't kill shit!
    Build wasn't created with the intentions of playing solo.
    Pretty decent Build, but i doubt it will work out well on Inferno.
    If you consider taking Meteor as your main nuke Ability, i would replace Arcane Orb in that case.
    In your case i would replace Arcane Orb with Arcane Torrent, while using an Obsidian Runestone.

Thanks to the Runestone you will be able to lay down Arcane Mines, wich deal damage when walked over, aswell as slowing the enemy.
    And this Spell would only cost you 20 Arcane Power !
    No, mines really won't work. They are wayyy to situational. They also aren't spammable like AOrb is.
    I'd still stick to Arcane Mines. Seeing your pretty defensive Build. You are quite able to kite the Monsters around. Placing Mines and Casting the Meteor Strike, should work out pretty well.
    I think that the builds here focus too much on dmg and too less on survivability. The truth is that with inferno u likely have to go 1 single target spells. 1 aoe dmg spell and 4 defensive spells.

Ive chosen my single target to be missile cause of the 0 cost. While Desintegrate is awesome aoe spell + the passive it also slows everyone that it hits.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aebZSi!ZUg!aZYbbc

The 4 defensive cooldowns are focused on surviving and crowd control, especially burst dmg. There will be burst especially from enchanted minions and those spells can protect you from that.

And the passive for extra health per sec is simply because you will be too fragile to enter melee to gather orbs.
    Quote from Bloodyrose

I think that the builds here focus too much on dmg and too less on survivability. The truth is that with inferno u likely have to go 1 single target spells. 1 aoe dmg spell and 4 defensive spells.

Ive chosen my single target to be missile cause of the 0 cost. While Desintegrate is awesome aoe spell + the passive it also slows everyone that it hits.

http://us.battle.net...bZSi!ZUg!aZYbbc

The 4 defensive cooldowns are focused on surviving and crowd control, especially burst dmg. There will be burst especially from enchanted minions and those spells can protect you from that.

And the passive for extra health per sec is simply because you will be too fragile to enter melee to gather orbs.

Mhm, I'm afraid that with using Disintegrate in lategame, be it Hell or Inferno you will barely be able to stand there and cast it.
    Ofc untill you get some gear.
    I'd say replacing either Teleport or Slow Time, with let's say Arcane Hydra, wich would work well with your Passive, or Arcane Torrent with an Crimson Runestone, that Disrupt targets and increase your Disintegrate damage on them by 30%, should work way better.
    Infernal will be tough but I do not think it is going to be that tough. That video was from Blizcon and many things have changed since then.

The issue I see is that you have problems spamming the Arcane Orb(Nova) even with Astral Presence. The Electrocute with the increased AP will help with the regen but you might have to use that skill more often than you had planned. I think a better passive would be Arcane Dynamo since I do see using Electrocute a lot to regen AP and with the more you spam Electrocute the more damage that Meteors will do or if you need to use Arcane Nova.

My guess is that the build is doable in all modes including in solo play. In solo play you may want to have some more slow but you do have a follower to help with that.
    It's kinda hard to plan when we don't know gear levels, or how hard inferno really is. I am curious about archon for example, just have to wait and see how good it is, and how well it works in inferno. Also how much resources we have (depends on gear etc) and how much we need regen skills etc. If getting hit in melee is avoidable, or something that you should expect also affects the builds and what runes you choose etc. It's even harder to make a build since I haven't even played beta:)
    Quote from Swindley

It's kinda hard to plan when we don't know gear levels, or how hard inferno really is. I am curious about archon for example, just have to wait and see how good it is, and how well it works in inferno. Also how much resources we have (depends on gear etc) and how much we need regen skills etc. If getting hit in melee is avoidable, or something that you should expect also affects the builds and what runes you choose etc. It's even harder to make a build since I haven't even played beta:)

So far everything is speculation anyway. I'm pretty sure that everyone's build will change as soon as they are able to play the game.
    While I did not have the chance to get into the beta, I feel like most of the talents that boost up survivability should be pick up for pvp instead of pve. CC is seems to be better for inferno solo since avoiding damage feel more appropriate than simply boost up survivability, as you do have spells like teleport to keep your distance from the mobs, and adding cc into that mix of spell just gives you that much more time to dish out damage to finish off the mobs instead of picking up talents that increase your damage intake. Then again, we don’t know how fast those mob travels in inferno so there is no telling whether cc/teleport will buy you enough time/distance to take out the mobs before they catch up again.
    This build I made in 2.5 secs but with a little tweeking it will be bomb! Make meteor hit build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#gkSbZO!YcU!YcZYbZ
    Don`t roll into it!
    Quote from InfamousGK

This build I made in 2.5 secs but with a little tweeking it will be bomb! Make meteor hit build http://us.battle.net...SbZO!YcU!YcZYbZ

I'd replace Ice Armor with Energy Armor and a Crimson Runestone.
    > All Resistances boosted by 120%, even though you want to avoid damage, especially melee. Those resistances are the perfect choice for ranged mobs/bosses. Even if they hit you, you get way lesser damage.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#gcYZSb!UgS!cZZbbb

My melee range wizard.
    Electrocute w/ Obsidian for free point blank AOE
    Wave of Force w/ Crimson for destructive point blank AOE and knockback
    Arcane Orb w/ Crimson for destructive ranged attack/AOE
    Frost Nova w/ Golden (8.5 sec CD) to keep groups away
    Slow Time w/ Golden (15 sec CD)
    Ice Armor w/ Golden (+25% armor for 10 seconds when struck, stacks 3x) Yum armor! Yum slow!

Passives:
    890 health per second with armor on
    20% decreased melee damage taken
    When reduced below 20% hp -> wave of force!

Yeah I'm planning on Inferno trying to kick my ass.
    Ultimately I think it comes down to how well high tier gears will be scaling with spells, if the dps from gear is high enough aka you kill the mobs before they even get close to inflict any damage. Some of those survival talent might not be necessary except maybe early inferno or boss fight, I am very curious how well they will scale. None the videos that I have seen in beta give any hint on how difficulty really is inferno.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes