Patch 1.0.4 Interview with Jay Wilson and Andrew Chambers

Some people are already discussing Topazes above, but the move away from MF on gear in the future has me wondering what Topaz will do in helms...

Also, I have to say I'm not crazy about the Paragon Levels portrait graphics thing. Isn't this the exact kind of thing they told us we'd be getting for our banner? Why invent some new portrait thing that lots of people are never going to see (most people are still playing single-player) instead of giving us something cool to customize our banners (which we see every time we log in)? I realize it's a small matter, but I wonder if they just forgot about banners...?
    Question to the community about this quote:

"There was talk, back during the Reddit AMA, about bosses dropping rares on the first kill past normal difficulty. Did this make it into 1.0.4?"
    "That did not make it into 1.0.4, but it is still something we want to add to the game."

I could swear patch notes said this change was made. Did Jay Wilson misspeak or am I having a senior moment?
    Quote from Necro4Ever

Question to the community about this quote:

"There was talk, back during the Reddit AMA, about bosses dropping rares on the first kill past normal difficulty. Did this make it into 1.0.4?"
    "That did not make it into 1.0.4, but it is still something we want to add to the game."

I could swear patch notes said this change was made. Did Jay Wilson misspeak or am I having a senior moment?

You know I'm remembering something really similar being said but I can't remember what either. I remember seeing it in the patch shortly after AMAA and thought at first it was that change but it was just worded really similar.

You're not completely off your rocker. :P It's not in the game but I remember thinking for a moment it was in some patch notes too.
    Quote from Catalept

Quote from Sikk

Ladder not fun? Please stop telling us what's fun.

Watching a handful of nutters that no-one else even has a chance of competing with racing to the top of a paragon-level ladder is fun for you? I'd have to see a vote before I could believe you weren't in a very small minority.

Unless you're seriously suggesting that they were saying that ladders in general were a bad idea? You're not, are you? Because that would be very embarrassing.

I take it you didn't play D2. Ok you can sit down now.
    He misses one of the entire points of the ladder seasons. It wasn't simply just another starting point to do the level race game. The biggest reason people are clamoring for it isn't the damn levelling race, but rather the economic reset that comes with it. While there will still be bots in each ladder grinding up gold, the market that 'matters' won't be flooded with all the old gold. Any old items (say, old crappy legendaries) will be flushed away as well.
    Quote from Wransik

Quote from st0rmie
    If anyone actually does have 318%, without NV, without follower (as Wransik claims in post #4), I'd like to see a profile link.

http://eu.battle.net...4/hero/15888952 there you go, and that's with a crappy gem. No set rings as well which would boost to a total of 330 which is the absolute max before NV and without follower.

Aha! So the legendary weapon is the key.. 35% in a slot where normally you can't get any. Thanks for clearing that up.

And the rings.. Band of Fallen Heroes and Screaming Chain, right? Only ilvl 61 so they can't have 18% MF but then get a 15% set bonus.

I'm not sure it's entirely reasonable to say he "clearly has no idea about his own game" for not being on top of an obscure combination of legendary items which allows one class to break 300% MF, but again, thanks for showing us how it's done.

Edit: Found a guy with the (perfect?) 330% - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/realspiffy-1397/hero/7591365
    Quote from st0rmie

Quote from Wransik

Quote from st0rmie
    If anyone actually does have 318%, without NV, without follower (as Wransik claims in post #4), I'd like to see a profile link.

http://eu.battle.net...4/hero/15888952 there you go, and that's with a crappy gem. No set rings as well which would boost to a total of 330 which is the absolute max before NV and without follower.

Aha! So the legendary weapon is the key.. 35% in a slot where normally you can't get any. Thanks for clearing that up.

And the rings.. Band of Fallen Heroes and Screaming Chain, right? Only ilvl 61 so they can't have 18% MF but then get a 15% set bonus.

I'm not sure it's entirely reasonable to say he "clearly has no idea about his own game" for not being on top of an obscure combination of legendary items which allows one class to break 300% MF, but again, thanks for showing us how it's done.

Edit: Found a guy with the (perfect?) 330% - http://us.battle.net...97/hero/7591365

Yes that's a perfect set and the max you can get, but still you don't need all those fancy sets to break the 300.

Well yes saying he has no idea about his own game might be a bit over the top, but I would say that most of them have totally lost track about what's going on in and outside the game, if not he would have known (for example) http://www.diabloprogress.com/ where he could have checked the top 10 MF list before saying that you can't reach 300 :)
    I don't like ladder...at all, I am happy there is no ladder.
    And I've played D1 and D2 + LoD basically till I got D3.

Lot of changes, we shall see how things will work out in the field.
    Interesting days to come.

Have fun and thanks Molster :)
    Quote from Number1337

"Part of the reason we did that is we feel that Magic Find on items creates a lot of decisions for players that we don’t feel that, at the end of the day, are very fun."

/cry You killed it, you really killed it. I cant believe you did it. WTF have you done man are you even human?

Have to agree that the old feeling of MF is going down the drain.

Also, from the interview:

We are essentially asking them to trade current power for future power and that is not an uninteresting choice, but is also not a very fun choice. You want to be powerful now, you don’t want to have to wait for power.

Promoting instant gratification ftw.
    Quote from GreenWins

I'm tired of them dictating what is "fun" and what isn't "fun."
    If I see another interview where a developers use the word "fun," I'm going to explode.

That's how I feel. I mean the entire time they were building up to release they spent more time explaining to us that we actually didn't enjoy the aspects of the old games that we thought we did, rather than just explain why something new is also ok. If their defense for systems is "Well you don't know what fun is" then they are sorely out of place.
    Quote from Cyeron

We are essentially asking them to trade current power for future power and that is not an uninteresting choice, but is also not a very fun choice. You want to be powerful now, you don’t want to have to wait for power.

uh where's the instant gratification in having to make 100 level to obtain the same thing? It is not like that now you have to trash your entire MF set immediately, because devs suddenly "Here take this 300% magic find" you just slowly get rid of it (you can also pass it to different characters) in favour of more combat oriented pieces.

I do think that it is kind of clever actually, instead of saying "we're taking away MF on Gear" they have basically created a system that transitioned the "need" for it on the gear away from it, in a seameless way.

I do kinda hate the current MF system cause I have to nerf my character in order to get the better gear, but in the end is gear I do not use since I need the MF or I won't drop it. But when I drop it I do not use it! it's kinda of a vicious circle.

And swapping is horribly tedious, however it is also necessary at this stage.

The new system does not trivialize the current MF gear, instead it make you, while you level, needing less of it so that you can focus your character on combat stats.

I do not honestly see all the fuss some are making over this.
    Quote from Zifnab

Quote from Cyeron

uh where's the instant gratification in having to make 100 level to obtain the same thing? It is not like that now you have to trash your entire MF set immediately, because devs suddenly "Here take this 300% magic find" you just slowly get rid of it (you can also pass it to different characters) in favour of more combat oriented pieces.

[. . .]

I do not honestly see all the fuss some are making over this.

I only said he promoted instant gratification.
    He claims that he "knows what we want" and that what we want is being awesome right away.

If you look closely to my response I never mentioned the new paragon levels being instantaneous nor did I say that Jay directly involved the above statement about the choices for those levels (which will take long to get to max for without a doubt). However, if you only read the above part of the interview;

You want to be powerful now, you don’t want to have to wait for power.

Is without a doubt speaking of instant gratification. Since he's mentioning it and at the same time implementing a new "leveling race" it is sort of a promotion (or provocation if you'd prefer that), seeing that many players will come back and just meet a new brick wall, as they won't be getting their instant gratification.

When I read the above I felt like the man was a shrink, having made a thesis in "knowing what my gamers want".
    If he really knew what his playerbase wanted I really don't see why they implemented a cap to MF; it was the least desirable change back in the polls if I remember correctly.

And just to clarify: All the "fuss" people are making is really just people feeling that an aspect of gameplay that many people loved is being changed. The new paragon levels will, in my belief, make up for the "loss" on the long run, but I don't see how the game mechanic MF will ever be the same with the cap.
    Ah that's fine point taken.

I see, valid point of view.

Honestly I do think it is just an unhappy phrasing, if he really wanted to promote instant gratification the implemented change would have been different, but maybe it is just me. *shrug*
    Well, people who already have the absolute max 330% MF will only get a 10% nerf ... that's not such a big of a deal ...

Also, one thing that is overlooked, is that Paragon levels get you GF as well...so you can stack up to 375% MF and 375% GF when you reach level 100, without making any compromises on your gear ... that's worth the 10% nerf on the cap in my opinion.

The cap is justified since the purpose is to discourage people from gear swapping ... if you could go as high as 600% MF, people would still swap.
    Paragon system looked awesome then they said its for 1 char only! What a nice way to force me to play 1 char.

rip 9 alts
    "Then at long last, Azmodan shall reign as the Prime Evil!"
    Quote from Zifnab

Ah that's fine point taken.

I see, valid point of view.

Honestly I do think it is just an unhappy phrasing, if he really wanted to promote instant gratification the implemented change would have been different, but maybe it is just me. *shrug*

I agree that promoting may not be the correct word for it. English is not my native language and my vocabulary is therefore limited. As long as you got the point when I clarified what I meant.

I chose the word "promote" due to the following: He mentions instant gratification as something every player wants. He is the game director and therefore expressing something that his playerbase "wants" will give it a "positive view". He does not say "But you ain't getting it" as that would totally kill it. I don't know of any other words I could use in the context but provocation. I guess i lack a proper wording for it.

- - -

On a side-note, taken from the official forums:

Originally Posted by (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

We're also planning to run some interviews and developer chats surrounding patch 1.0.4, and we'll be sharing those on the Diablo III front page. Be on the lookout, as we'd love to get you involved in any live chats we host.

Anyone know if this will come?
    Looks like some WD skill changes weren't listed or they didn't get into final version?

Grasp of the Dead:Groping Eels : Increases the damage done to 416% (up from 26%) weapon damage as Physical.

I guess they forgot that, as basic version of this skill has increased damage, old rune would be meaningless now.

Spirit Barrage: Phantasm : Summon a spectre that deals 225% (up from 45%) weapon damage as Physical over 5 seconds to all enemies within 10 yards.

I guess that one would be too good? I still hope they forgot to list it.

Wall of Zombies: Barricade : Increases the width of the Wall of Zombies (Previously the zombies attacked for 80% weapon damage as Physical).

Again looks like forgot that one?
    Ah i posted it in wrong topic. Sorry for double, you can delete both of my posts from here.
    Quote from Unrealsiege

Paragon system looked awesome then they said its for 1 char only! What a nice way to force me to play 1 char.

rip 9 alts

forces you in no way

if you chose to play right now before the patch with alts you gimp a main character since you're not farming with them

nothing changes...whenever you choose to forgo one char's xp you choose to forgo another's...it's basic RPG common sense
    Quote from Unrealsiege

rip 9 alts

moar longevity, when you reached 100 on a char pass your MF gear on another and go

@Cyeron: I totally got your point now so no worries, I'm italian so english is not my native language as well. :)
    But I know your pain, there are some english words that are confusing so us non natives can get the wrong impression :P
    For example "appreciate". I work in customer support in English, once my senior told me to use the word more often in "bad news" communication. I did not got it because it sounds very "positive" as a word much like "I enjoy your suffering, dear customer" that was my impression. He clarified that expressed emphaty and understanding but I still find difficult to digest.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes