Diablo ]I[ is epic but..

Quote from Kisho

You're not forced to use the RMAH, or even the regular gold AH.

If you don't feel excitement when getting a legendary or identifying a rare item, that's not something Blizzard can fix. The problem lies in you (and while I say problem, it isn't really: it's just that your tastes have changed, so you do not find the same things exciting anymore. Which is fine). I know I feel excited when I see an ilevel 63 rare drop, just waiting to see if I get something awesome (got a couple of really nice items so far).

You don't need to farm for 8 hours a day. You only need to do that if you care about being number 1: if you don't, then you can go at your own pace. There's no rush, so stop feeling like there is. Again, those are your feelings, not any fault of Blizzard's.

Step away from the game. Take your time. Focus on yourself. You don't need to touch the AH if you don't want to, you can farm everything yourself. Everything will take a lot longer, but that seems to be what you want, so.

So no, there are no fixes for the game to address your problem. Because your problem 100% lies within yourself. Don't blame Blizzard because of your own attitude towards the game.

On a final note, you seriously left your family for 2 weeks to play D3? As in, left the house entirely and left your wife to deal with the kids by herself? I can understand taking a week or two off of work, but leaving your family? Get your priorities sorted out.

It's a bit harsh to say that I left my fiance and have her deal with the kids her self. My girls are 8 and 10, they can mostly take care of them selves. I mostly played during the night and of course I went home between work and playing Diablo 3, I'm not an complete deuce. ;) My fiance even made a visit to the LAN, and laughed at us been nerds. ;)
    Quote from Greenjoke

Quote from Freyrlindal

Exactly! Spot on!
    I love Diablo 3, but the thing is the item hunt is turning me off, big time! Like I said, I did tell my self that I wouldn't be able to get the best items in game and the rarest. But I should get something interesting. I was looking forward to wield some mediocre items and cool unique weapon or armor.

what time period is appropriate for what items? what is mediocre?

example:
    Mediocre: 800 dps weapon with ok stats.
    instead of
    Rare im fine with not having: 1200dps weapon with the right stats and affixes +socket.

Mediocre: Amy with right stat and half the affixes of the rarest item.
    istead of
    Rare: Amy with high right stat and second stat and higest affixes.

Mediocre set items: ilvl 59-60 with the half or 1/3rd of the set bonues on ilvl 61-63
    instead of
    Insanly rare set items: with high of everything.

edit: forgot the time period you asked for, well those 200 hours should have given me atleast a half or full low level set items and some legendary rings and ammy's that where mediocre but not the best of the best. But still usable items.
    Quote from Ramsey

One thing that cannot be argued with is the fact that many people just don't feel as much satisfaction grinding for items as they did in Diablo 2.

This is so true. I remember in D2, searching for that one Unique or Rune come hell or high water. And I also remember IDing every rare worth IDing, like amulets and such. Sometimes I would find really good ones! If not, I always had the Uniques. And then, the crafting amulets were so very good.

I also don't like the forced use of gold as currency. I think the prices were much easier to understand when we used PSkulls, duped SoJ and legit SoJ, and later runes. I miss trading. I miss trading for things like dracs for rends, nigma for nigma, etc. That type of stuff really made the game fun for me.

I even miss Baal runs, and the old sorc tele cs runs in classic, and the cow runs.

I've thought, many times, about saying screw D3 and going back to D2.... but the spam bots really ruin the experience in D2.
    I think Blizz really did drop the ball on the Sets/Legendarys, they are fixing them, and that is great. (I cannot wait!)

I also think that 60/61/62/63 items should have a slightly higher "minimum" base for rolls.

Also, MOAR skills + affixes that are more powerful would not hurt one bit!

That being said, I am having a blast with Diablo 3, and literally find GREAT items pretty much every single day.
    Quote from Mutilate24

Quote from maka

I'm sorry, snowhammer, but I completely disagree with you. I played D2 for 10 years, the overwhelming majority of it spent in SP or small LAN/tcp ip games, and let me tell you this: I saw many of the good items in D2, and I didn't need to trade, didn't need to go to D2JSP, and didn't need to grind 8 hours a day. The exception to this were the very top high runes; i never saw those, but they were way too rare. What I'm saying is that getting your own upgrades in D3 (totally ignoring the AH) takes WAY longer than in D2. You tried to make it sound like it's not like that, but it is. You can add to that the fact that items in D2 were way more inspired. In D3, all you're hoping for is "bigger numbers". You want gear with more Dex that you already have, with more Vit than you already have, more crit, etc. In D2 there were loads of items, especially Sets and Uniques, but also Rares, that had affixes that were DIFFERENT. Not just "oh, cool, these boots have 50 str more than my current ones, so technically they're an upgrade, hurray". The items in D3 are lacking in the 'flavour' and 'variety' department, i don't think anyone can argue with that.

I think you need to qualify that a little more in order to drive home the point you are trying to make. I would fully expect that anyone who played D2 for 10 years on a regular basis would see a fair amount of the best items, especially considering the changes to the loot distribution over the years. If you play D3 for the next 10 years I would expect that you could say the same thing. That is to say you found perfect or close to it rolled items multiple times. D2 made it linear though. You knew what items you wanted so you hunted specifically for them. As of right now D3 is all about the random items at the right ilvl that will hopefully roll the right stats. Is that more or less fun than D2? That is a matter of preference. I do agree that itemization is a tad boring and I do miss some of the crazy(er) affixes. I think Blizz got the message and we will see some changes.

But, you see, that's being reasonable. That's disliking D3 without being pejorative or somehow having a D2 God Complex. I have no doubt that the item hunt in D2 was more enjoyable than currently in D3. What I do doubt is that anyone truly had all the best items in D2 within 2 months, or even 5-6 months, because itemization at launch in D2 was terrible. I do NOT give Blizzard a pass for going down the same road in D3, though. Legendaries and sets being, by and large, useless in D3 was a horrible misstep. Bashiok asking if a legendary should be better than a blue was... well it got me pretty incensed - OF COURSE IT SHOULD! Rarity should have some bearing on power, that's a given in this environment. To ask that question really bothered me because it felt as if Blizzard didn't really understand that we don't want to find very rare items like legendaries and sets and have them be total crap. That was a mistake that Blizzard never should have made.

However, they are planning on addressing this, and that makes me feel that a lot of people who are complaining *will* be back after it's fixed. People want to hunt for items, but they want it to be on their terms. And, frankly, I still refuse to believe that 12 years later in our adult lives we still have the same desires for gaming that we did back in our teens. And, whether or not anyone admits their desires have changed, I think it's a big part of the backlash - people remember being 15, 16, or 17 and loving the shit out of D2. We're not 15, 16, or 17 anymore... and we're not going to get the same rush. That is not to say that D3 cannot give us a rush, it's just not going to be the same.

Ultimately, we, the fans, were pretty pushy about D3 being released ASAP, and I think we had a hand in this because D3 does seem rushed. But, how much of that rush was related to the pressure we created? I can't say, but I have no doubt that it was in some part related. Sometimes Blizzard has to realize that what we ask for isn't necessarily what's best for the game.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    I quit reading when I saw the first use of the word force.

Get a dictionary, OP (and the rest of you whiners who keep saying you're "forced" to do things in this game).

Also, who leaves their family for 2 weeks for a release? I should have quit reading at that point.
    Quote from Kaoskadosk

I'm getting fed upp with all this RMAH conspiracy nonsense crap...

It's easy to write everyone off as a consiparacist or tin-foil hatter, but think about it for a second; the RMAH is Blizzard's recurring revenue model for DIII. Recurring revenue is a desirable business model, they want to make as much money off of DIII as they can. There is nothing wrong with this, it makes perfect business sense.

However, when Blizzard says things like "item drops are not balanced around the RMAH" I just don't buy it. I don't think they are some evil entity with the sole intention of changing the game in any way that best suits the RMAH regardless of what negative affect it may have on gameplay (that would be a conspiracy theory), but do you honestly think it doesn't factor into the decision making process at all?

They built this feature for a reason, they're not going to make changes to the game that make it undesirable or irrelevant.
    Quote from AudioCG

I think Blizz really did drop the ball on the Sets/Legendarys, they are fixing them, and that is great. (I cannot wait!)

I also think that 60/61/62/63 items should have a slightly higher "minimum" base for rolls.

Also, MOAR skills + affixes that are more powerful would not hurt one bit!

That being said, I am having a blast with Diablo 3, and literally find GREAT items pretty much every single day.

This. I play 2-6 hours every night before the wife gets home from work and I find somthing of value every night. Some nights its just a pair of gloves that will sell for 200K gold, maybe a ring that looks good for my starter set when I level my Barb.. Other nights I hit the jackpot and find a weapon that sells for 8+ Million gold. It's been taking about a week at a time, but I end up with 20ish million gold and buy one really nice piece for my self.

During that time, Ive found 4-5 very very nice piece (worth 15+ million) that I am using myself.

I think the item system needs tweaks (as you say, and as I've already said in this thread too!) and a larger section of the poulace will enjoy the item hunt.. I just dont think its as far off as alot of the people think it is.
    Quote from BigEd781

Quote from Kaoskadosk

It's easy to write everyone off as a consiparacist or tin-foil hatter, but think about it for a second; the RMAH is Blizzard's recurring revenue model for DIII. Recurring revenue is a desirable business model, they want to make as much money off of DIII as they can. There is nothing wrong with this, it makes perfect business sense.

However, when Blizzard says things like "item drops are not balanced around the RMAH" I just don't buy it. I don't think they are some evil entity with the sole intention of changing the game in any way that best suits the RMAH regardless of what negative affect it may have on gameplay (that would be a conspiracy theory), but do you honestly think it doesn't factor into the decision making process at all?

They built this feature for a reason, they're not going to make changes to the game that make it undesirable or irrelevant.

The game would NOT be fun if amazing items were not very rare.. every time I see someone type this comment your making (dont get me wrong, I see where your coming from, I just don't agree) I feel like the one saying it just isn't understanding the game. People talking about the item drops being ballanced around the RMAH are just making to big a blanket statement. The items in the LAST, HARDEST difficulty, inferno, need to be rare otherwise the game would become pointless very fast. (Everyone would have BiS gear within 50 hours of play time, and then everyone else would have it because all of those items would be on the AH, and then there would be no point to playing)
    Quote from BigEd781

Quote from Kaoskadosk

RMAH is built to take a large third party market into the game to prevent players from being scammed and hacked, while also making it easier for those who want to use money to purchase items to do so. I'm sure a large percent of those who want to buy items with money haven't done so because they've been afraid of the risks.

The money they make from RMAH is 1€/$ per item sold, which is basically a nominal fee. They need some amount of income to sustain the servers and develop patches. It is easier to have this income come from the game itself instead of other sources (games). The only market I could see them actually benifitting economically from would be the commodity and gold market, which is yet to be released. That's where they take a 15% cut, simply because a set fee per tem would not work. At a 2€:1m gold ratio, they would earn 0.3€ per 1m gold. A fair sum, but hardly close to WoW's revenue. If 1 billion gold would be sold at a 2€:1m gold ratio per day, they would earn 9000€ per month. That's equal to 90 subscribers on WoW.

Let's see what requires to equal WoW's revenue. WoW has currently around 12 million subscribers, let's round it off to 10 to make it easy. With 10€ per month, that's 100 million Euro per month. To equal this in gold, over 1 trillion gold would have to be sold per day across the globe. Possible? Perhaps. Likely? I doubt it. With 6 million players, I bet maybe 1 million would think about buying gold. With this number, all of these would have to buy 1 million gold a day, or 30 million gold per month to equal WoW's current income.

RMAH isn't really the cashcow people like to believe. And don't mention the 15% cut, that's PayPals.
    if they made a game with GAH/RMAH but made it so that it is absolutely not required then we can qualify that as a bad design, can we not?

edit:

Quote from Kaoskadosk

And don't mention the 15% cut, that's PayPals.

there is blizzards 15% cut on commodities which will probably be sold a lot more than items
    Quote from Gnarf

if they made a game with GAH/RMAH but made it so that it is absolutely not required then we can qualify that as a bad design, can we not?

Really?

REALLY?

Your just reaching out of sheer desperation now? An added unessential feature for player convenience is now considered "bad design"?

By this retarded leap in logic, Achievements are "bad design", Ladders in D2 were "Bad Design", Gathering Ears in D2 is "Bad Design", Trading windows is "Bad design"? (I could go on, but all of these features I have mentioned are NOT REQUIRED)
    Quote from Gnarf

Quote from Kaoskadosk

there is blizzards 15% cut on commodities which will probably be sold a lot more than items

And that covered about half my post.
    Quote from Gnarf

edit:

Quote from Kaoskadosk

1) No. Isn't that what most of the AH-haters want? It to be "optional?" Isn't the major argument against the AH that it's mandatory? So if being mandatory is "bad" and being optional is "bad design" what exactly do you want? To that extent it sounds like complaining for the sake of complaining. I miss the trading aspect of D2, but I have grown to accept that the GAH is not much more than a streamlined interface where gold is the base currency instead of SoJs. To me it's just not that big of a deal.

2) RMAH commodities aren't live yet, are they? The 15% (instead of a $1 per transaction) fee, as I understand it, is because the commodities (on both GAH and RMAH) don't really operate on a single transaction from the seller's perspective. I may be wrong, as I don't understand the inner workings of the comodities trades, but I don't really think the 15% on commodities is an outright ploy to line pockets. In fact, I really think the RMAH isn't that great of a money-making scheme to begin with. But, like I said in another thread.. given the choice of auction fees going to a 3rd party (eBay, D2JSP, etc.) or going directly to Blizzard, I'd much rather them go directly to Blizzard. Fees going to D2JSP certainly don't help along the gaming products that I enjoy.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from Zakaz

Get a dictionary, OP (and the rest of you whiners who keep saying you're "forced" to do things in this game).

Also, who leaves their family for 2 weeks for a release? I should have quit reading at that point.

Like I said I'm not a native English speaker. What word should I use when I "feel" I'm being forced to do something.

I'm probably not the only one that did some drastic measures when the game came out. I asked my fiance if she was okay with it and see was, don't think I left my family 100% of that time I was at the LAN with close friends. I'm not that deuce. Se visit us at the LAN made fun of us being such nerds and I went home in the meanwhile.

If you don't "feel" the same as I do, I'm happy for you, not everyone can feel the same way.
    Quote from Freyrlindal

Quote from Zakaz

Like I said I'm not a native English speaker. What word should I use when I "feel" I'm being forced to do something.

I'm probably not the only one that did some drastic measures when the game came out. I asked my fiance if she was okay with it and see was, don't think I left my family 100% of that time I was at the LAN with close friends. I'm not that deuce. Se visit us at the LAN made fun of us being such nerds and I went home in the meanwhile.

If you don't "feel" the same as I do, I'm happy for you, not everyone can feel the same way.

There is no other word for it - you can't even "feel" forced. You either are, or you aren't. In the case of Diablo, there are absolutely no consequences for ignoring the RMAH, or the GAH, or anything else you don't want to do.

You won't be sued, you won't be banned, you won't be hacked, prices won't triple for you, your cat won't catch on fire, nothing. Absolutely nothing negative will come as a result of ignoring features of the game you wish to ignore. That choice is the exact opposite of "forced.
    Quote from snowhammer

-snip-

Thanks for the reply, snowhammer. I see what you're saying, and I'm still hoping for an improvement (I want to want to play this game for a long time).

@Mutilate24: okay, so here's an example of what I was saying. A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine who has seen me play and talk about D2 for all these years, decided to give it a go. Obviously, I jumped at the chance of having someone to play with, so we just got it started. Within a few days of play, he had found 3 set pieces (of different sets, but still) and 2 uniques (both useful to his paladin), and he was well excited about it. Uniques are just epic, and they motivate you to keep playing. Yes, they're low level uniques, and he'll eventually get rid of them, but it's so much nicer to find those than to just find blues and rares with bland stats. This just wouldn't happen had he picked up D3 instead of D2.
    Quote from maka

I'm sorry, snowhammer, but I completely disagree with you. I played D2 for 10 years, the overwhelming majority of it spent in SP or small LAN/tcp ip games, and let me tell you this: I saw many of the good items in D2, and I didn't need to trade, didn't need to go to D2JSP, and didn't need to grind 8 hours a day. The exception to this were the very top high runes; i never saw those, but they were way too rare. What I'm saying is that getting your own upgrades in D3 (totally ignoring the AH) takes WAY longer than in D2. You tried to make it sound like it's not like that, but it is. You can add to that the fact that items in D2 were way more inspired. In D3, all you're hoping for is "bigger numbers". You want gear with more Dex that you already have, with more Vit than you already have, more crit, etc. In D2 there were loads of items, especially Sets and Uniques, but also Rares, that had affixes that were DIFFERENT. Not just "oh, cool, these boots have 50 str more than my current ones, so technically they're an upgrade, hurray". The items in D3 are lacking in the 'flavour' and 'variety' department, i don't think anyone can argue with that.

This!
    Quote from AudioCG

Quote from Gnarf

Really?

REALLY?

Your just reaching out of sheer desperation now? An added unessential feature for player convenience is now considered "bad design"?

By this retarded leap in logic, Achievements are "bad design", Ladders in D2 were "Bad Design", Gathering Ears in D2 is "Bad Design", Trading windows is "Bad design"? (I could go on, but all of these features I have mentioned are NOT REQUIRED)

achievements do nothing to improve your gameplay (AH items do very much), you dont really make a point with trading and ladders since D2 wasnt online only
    AS a D2 vainilla and Lod Classic i gotta say, that D3 lacks in various aspects. First, there were 99 levels... Yes for some people that wasn't important, but for some it was, and it was fun to do so, while you were also finding out new gear. It was a long way back in the days to achieve max level, and while so, you would find lots of amazing stuff, maybe you didnt find godly items, but the affixes, and mods on D2 made a lot of rares much more interesting than the itemization. Blues weren't boring, i did even see people using White weapons! Mercs > Followers. But the main thing is the AH. It takes out the mistery of finding some of the best stuff by your own, or by some mysterious merchant (aka another player trading an awesome/godly/great) piece of gear that upgrades you. The game is less social, involves less time talking with others, AH ruins it, cause when you finally get to find something you think it might be decent, and you could get some profit from it, there is 100+ persons that already posted some similar item likes yours, and way undercuting the real value those items have. Its like, nowdays ppl only pays for semi-perfect, perfect rolled items, the rest are worthless, and you gotta drop them into the trash can.. That's not fun, along with the RNG that makes you barely see any Leg/Set drop until you're 60 (for a lot of us) and spent 200+ hours....

PS: Atm i have found about 20+ sets/legs that are crap, and went into the trash can. I didn't get a single jewel pattern yet, and i've spent about 400+ hours already... 200 of those hours with 255% base mf.. (No swapping gear)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes