Lightning Barb - Best Weapons (tested)

Ok guys. I currently have all the weapons a light barb would like with decent rolls. They are:

ODYN SON: 2078 dps, 636 strength, 27% light damage

SHARD OF HATE: 2160 dps, 728 str

THUNDER FURY: 2233 dps, 705 str, 363% weapon damage

FULMINATOR: 2149 dps, 744 str, 204% weapon damage

SUNKEEPER: 2097 dps, 663 str, 30% damage to elite

they all have ofc a socket with the same gem in it

I had many different opinions on what the best combination for a standard light barb is, so I did some test run on GHOM, t4, using only ww, overpower and war cry. No wotb, no avalanche, ecc

The results are:

SOH+TF= 53'' average (8 runs)

OS + TF= 1'12'' average (5 runs)

OS+ Fulminator= 1'16'' average (3 runs)

OS+SK= 1'19'' average (2 runs)

OS+SOH= 46'' average (7 runs)

This is by no mean the solution to the question, for the particular boss I decided to fight, but the difference in effective dps among the weapons is quite impressive. I might be because SOH benefit from +xx% to lightning and TF doesn't. I do not know.

Apparently, SOH+TF and SOH+TF are similar with a little advantage for the first solution, but the roll on my TF is much better then my OS, so I'll go with ODYN SON and SHARD OF HATE for the moment. What is certain is that, even after the bug fix, Shard of Hate is the best in slot for light barb.

I'll like to test it out also in different situation: any idea where?
    Last edited by akajakob: 4/25/2014 2:44:20 AM
    I'm surprised that the Fulminator outperformed the Sun Keeper, because as as my testing goes its proc does nothing to Ghom. I realize that it has better DPS and strength rolls, but I figured the 30% elite damage would sway things in favor of the Sun Keeper.
    You should have provided your total ligtning damage%. If it's high enough it's no surprise that the 2 weapons that scale with lightning damage outperformed the rest (especially in a test case where SoH's proc can't miss the target due to Ghom's size)

And +1 for Fulminator/Sun Keeper values, these feel really weird. Or did Fulminator get ninja-fixed to damage the main target (and for the appropriate amount of damage)?
    I think TF will be much better then SoH in rifts cause the AOE proc. And if you are using WW, the proc of SoH is very poor. On ghom you use Frenzy- Smite i gues, it means 75% proc of SoH and 100% hit of lightings cause ghom's size.
    Quote from akajakob

"Apparently, SOH+TF and SOH+TF are similar"

Yep, Sounds about right.

Why not just use frenzy for the tests, less movement and chance of flawed results? Also, try Sun Keeper + Shard of Hate, might yield good results with proc +30% elite dmg.
    Last edited by Pharm: 4/25/2014 4:14:51 AM
    why you didnt tested Sky splitter weapon? i used and works very good too
    Quote from lrp91

Because I wanted to know the best combination of weapons for a lightning build and sky splitter is not good enough. The problem, when the main damage dealer is ww, is the lack of effective dps. The build works well only because of the secondary effect of weapons and skysplitter just stun the enemies. It is a good weapon indeed, but not good enough for that build. In terms of killing time, btw, would have been as good as a yellow weapon with same stats.
    Quote from Pharm
    Why not just use frenzy for the tests, less movement and chance of flawed results? Also, try Sun Keeper + Shard of Hate, might yield good results with proc +30% elite dmg.

Because the point is deciding the best combination of weapons when running ww lightning. Frenzy will be misleading also because it proc soh 100% of the times.

I'll give a go to soh+sk btw and post results.
    What passives are you using when you test?

Edit: I just tested fulminator on a single target, with bash, and it looks like maybe the proc does damage the main target once when applied.

Edit 2: I goofed and left my Andariel's Visage on while testing. As expected, Fulminator does nothing to single targets in my experience.
    Last edited by Cularic: 4/28/2014 6:45:52 PM
    There's a lot wrong with these tests. Nothing should cause the Fulminator to out-perform the Sun Keeper, for instance, and there's a few other inconsistencies as well. I find the sample size far too small to conclude anything.

With so few fights, random factors are going to affect the outcome significantly. There's too great of a DPS discrepancy between the weapons, too, and proc chance/damage can vary by as much as 100% on some weapons. Your TF rolled near-max proc damage, for example, which skews the results a lot. You can parse which of your weapons are better, but you can't use such a narrow test to determine whether, say, Shard of Hate is a better weapon than Odyn Son.

It's also likely that your attack speed wasn't correctly calibrated for some of the weapons, missing out on crucial breakpoints that would make a weapon perform differently. For example, if one of the swords had 7% attack speed which brought it to the next breakpoint, it would parse disproportionally well compared to the others. I think this might be the case with the Fulminator which is otherwise a really poor weapon, especially for single-target fights where the proc literally does nothing.
    Last edited by Wangstrong: 4/25/2014 7:39:14 PM
    I have all the weapons as well and my favorite combo is SoH and tf over odyn/tf. It seems odyns proc hits hard but its a SLOW weapon vs a sword which is fast. SoH procs off frenzy and does insane single target dps.

On a side note....27% odyn? since when.
    Last edited by barrybondz: 4/28/2014 12:26:10 PM
    I think the OP meant his chain lightning proc is a 27% chance to trigger.

I'm also torn between SOH/Odyn Son and SOH/TF. TF procs more and has the attack/speed debuff and hits more targets in a group fight. However, Odyn seems to crit abnormally hard and can triple hit single targets. Odyn is better for main handing, but I also don't like the slow speed (and also the different attack speeds between dual wield hands). I feel like overpower refreshes a lot faster with two swords, even though it doesn't hit as hard.

Another factor to consider is Odyn Son may benefit from lightning skill damage (in my quick testing), and also buffs the damage of SOH procs. For whatever reason, the Odyn Son chain lightning crits a lot harder than TF.
    Last edited by Cularic: 4/28/2014 6:48:29 PM
    Quote from akajakob
    Quote from lrp91

Because I wanted to know the best combination of weapons for a lightning build and sky splitter is not good enough. The problem, when the main damage dealer is ww, is the lack of effective dps. The build works well only because of the secondary effect of weapons and skysplitter just stun the enemies. It is a good weapon indeed, but not good enough for that build. In terms of killing time, btw, would have been as good as a yellow weapon with same stats.

Sky Splitter no longer just stuns enemies, it does 750% weapon damage now as well, and is affected by +lightning damage.
    Quote from mmmmmmmBacon

Are all proc effect affected from + elemental damage %?
    Last edited by khanbg: 4/29/2014 3:25:32 AM
    Procs are NOT buffed by elemental damage... none of them. They say WEAPON damage. They go off your character sheet, minus the speed calc. Test it out sometime with a Thunderfury. Stack all your Lightning gear, with say around 750-850k (in decent gear) and look how much it crits for. Then put on the best damage gear you can (ignoring attack speed), lets put that around 1mil... look at the crits again and you'll see the difference.

Passive skills like Berserker Rage, Brawler, Ruthless and Weapons Master all increase the damage, just like they would standard weapon damage.

The reason Thunderfury is still so good for Lightning Barb is that is it fast, always has a socket and Strength (leaving a free roll to boost the damage or add 6-10% bonus when bug is fixed), and the proc is very high weapon damage %, and bounces 5 times!

Ideally, you should have a Sunkeeper in your bags for the boss fights, but use TF / SoH / OS based on which rolled nicer (higher dps / Str / Proc %)
    Last edited by leland814: 4/29/2014 8:28:07 PM
    Quote from khanbg
    Quote from mmmmmmmBacon

Are all proc effect affected from + elemental damage %?

I have 50% lightning damage.

My TF has 367% proc. and it crits for 3.6m to 3.9m.

My SoH has a 212% proc and hits for 3.9m to 4.2m.

It's seems like TF isn't affected but SoH is. But If you do the math TF should still be hitting for more than SoH (212% x50% = 318%).
    It feels like some procs are affected by +% elemental skill damage and some are not.

In my experience, it seems like Thunderfury is not, but Shard of Hate and Odyn Son are.
    Yeah, let's use WW for a dps test on a boss.

Wow

Quote fromleland814ยป

Procs are NOT buffed by elemental damage... none of them. They say WEAPON damage.

So do skills
    Last edited by hugey: 4/29/2014 9:03:21 PM
    us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12187048616

Legendary Property/Proc Mechanics Collection
    Last edited by Saah88: 4/29/2014 10:02:51 PM
    Quote from Saah88

us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12187048616

Legendary Property/Proc Mechanics Collection

This is a fantastic post. Thanks for it. It also kinda explain why SOH+OS ended up being so effective.
    I was doing the test whit quite some lightning damage %.

I might try without it just to confirm.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes