So... did we actually learn anything?

I was hoping a bit that important questions would be answered or some new stuff revealed, or things that we know about expanded upon...very, very disappointed. I stopped playing this game about a year or so ago (forget exactly) and Reaper of Souls looked like Blizzard was attempting to try and pick up some of the broken pieces they created and to make efforts to fix parts of the game that need fixing. However, the more cynical side of me that got jaded from being burned one too many times on the 'promises' made from the perspective of WoW and the poor way the nerf/buff rollercoaster cycles went on in that game popped up and sort of 'kept me in check'. I know this sounds incredibly negative and in a way it is, but honestly...I can't help but feel this way and from the perspective of Diablo III, this Blizzcon has been a very big disappointment.

No expanding on the loot stuff in terms of even some more fleshed out ideas that they should (hopefully) have at this point, no mention of the loot itself in terms of how some of the new affixes will work, and no real drive to make it all fit together. That and seeing that they are 'happy' with tying skills so heavily to weapon damage...that just really turned me off so much. At this point, Blizzard hasn't impressed me with RoS and this should have been the time when they had their guns loaded and ready to fire off new info, stuff to grab and try to pull in older fans like myself that quit...nothing. Not even a round of blanks, just nothing. With the way things are standing right now (may change later on, but highly doubtful given my experience with this company) I won't be giving Reaper of Souls the time of day.
    Was sort of disappointing, for sure.

When's the beta? Can't say.

When's loot 2.0? Don't know.

When's the scheduled release date? Not available.
    Quote from Venaliter

You must not have been playing Blizzard games for long if you are honestly surprised we didn't get any solid dates.
    Quote from miles_dryden

Quote from Venaliter

You must not have been playing Blizzard games for long if you are honestly surprised we didn't get any solid dates.

They often give clues when betas will start. Like, for instance, they hinted WoW's beta will start in January. Obviously, we're heard unofficially RoS will start in late November, but I really don't understand why they wouldn't discuss this, if it were true.
    Quote from Venaliter

Quote from miles_dryden

Quote from Venaliter

They often give clues when betas will start. Like, for instance, they hinted WoW's beta will start in January. Obviously, we're heard unofficially RoS will start in late November, but I really don't understand why they wouldn't discuss this, if it were true.

One such clue ; March 14th 2014 All Auction Houses will be shut down.
    I think a more suitable title for this thread would be "So... did we actually learn anything new?"

I mean, I'm as underwhelmed as a lot of you guys (mostly because of the hype on previous interviews of Josh Mosqueira), but let's be honest here.

We got a sneak peek on some of the new Skills, their actual animations and how they work.
    We saw some new runes and passives.
    We got some new info gathered from the demo version people tried out (Jaetch's thread on the Wiz's forums) regarding some very interesting changes.
    We got to see all those new "modes" working in real time (Neph Rifts, Adventure Mode, the Waypoint maps), details on those, and the reasoning behind some design decisions. Things like 100% randomized exteriors were only now confirmed.
    We got confirmation on Clans and a huge sneak peek at its UI (which looks awesome, imo).

(and I didn't even get a chance to check everything - I was kinda busy and had to "share" the stream time with my brother, who likes WoW info better - so I'm sure that list is quite incomplete)

Granted, if you've been following the datamined information, you probably expected a lot more new info. But let's be frank here, there was no way it was ALL gonna be announced and implemented (proper PvP, ladders, Devil's Hand, offline mode, cow level, etc). I can't believe anybody could really be that naive.

I will say it again: I was also underwhelmed by the lack of new features, and by the little information/gameplay on previously announced features, but I'm not gonna be a hypocrite, blow it all out of proportions and go all "THEY SHOWED NOTHING!!!!" mode. Com'on guys -_-
    If you live in So.Calif. or nearby and actually went to this non-event I guess it's not too bad but for those flying in it seems like they wasted an awful lot of money, money they could have used to get a PS4 and some games that are actually going to be available to play soon.
    Quote from Venaliter

+1 worst info on d3 ever. we did not get anything(im QQ ) i hoped we got atleast a PTR date on loot 2.0 and paragon 2.0.
    I'm just waiting for Robbie to spill out the datamining :)

I know I know I'm a shameless beggar, but someone had to say it.
    I really hate that I'll have to pick up white items just to salvage them... Why don't they just drop the reagents instead of white items since it's the only use they'll have ? They say they don't want it to become a chore and I hope they will reconsider this decision and forget about white items. When people whined about white items not having a use, it was just a disguised way to ask for runewords and it's not going to happen anyway.
    So, Blizzcon is over and itemization was not discussed?.
    There was a huge load of information. Problem is probably that you have looked into the datamined spoilers and got maybe a bitspoiled with info pre-BlizzCon.

Minimum info about clans.
    Nothing about ladders, charms, runewords (only mentioning of the words), paragon 2.0.

We did however see new skills, areas, lore info, more about randomization, adventure mode, nephalem rifts, more details on enchantment, loot 2.0, PS4 version of RoS and more.

Small info about soulbound, ubers in adventure mode, guild/clan/chat/lobby-interphace:
    http://diablo3pvp.se/2013/11/10/curse-intervju-blizzcon-reaper-of-souls/

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Quote from Indimix

Not to the extent that a lot of people wanted them to, no. They talked about a lot of stuff that was already revealed in datamining, though.
    Quote from Indimix

Breaking stat groups into Primary (damage) and Secondary (utility) was the biggest reveal as far as items go. Which is a pretty big deal, I guess. But that depends on how well it fixes the trifecta problem. Hard to say until you start playing the game. I mean, will every primary slot have the trifecta wherever you can get it? Seems odd, and certainly not any more interesting than what we got now. It's definitely not the total massive overhaul people might have been expecting, or whatever it is they're expecting.

I am a bit underwhelmed with this Blizzcon, but hearing about Adventure mode and the Rifts was nice. I was definitely excited about that stuff, even if I already knew about it. I mean just to see it in action, shows a lot of promise. But soon I realized that'd be the only exciting reveal for me, and that made me sad. Still, I'm going to keep reading the data-mine.

Oh, Frozen Orb in action was a treat too, of course. It's lovely.
    A lot of things were discussed. If you didn't look at data mined info then adventure mode is new, clan support is new, bounties, neph. rifts, crafting stuff, new skills are new and a lot of other things.

I think the problem is, which isn't going to go over well, but I don't think this expansion is going to be ready as soon as we think it may be. I feel as though details on loot 2.0 aren't really final yet, no announcement of ladder or devils hand to me means they aren't near finished. They may just be trying to be quiet but if not I get the feeling they aren't even sure if they are going to have a beta so when that is who knows. I'm sure people who went to Blizzcon though can provide different information. I was also surprised no details on CE were revealed.

So there still seems to be a lot of stuff to be announced. And as I said, I think if it's remaining unannounced it's not done yet. If all of these data mined features are to go live we may be waiting till Q3 2014 until we get a launch.
    Quote from IgnatiusReilly

Breaking stat groups into Primary (damage) and Secondary (utility) was the biggest reveal as far as items go. Which is a pretty big deal, I guess. But that depends on how well it fixes the trifecta problem. Hard to say until you start playing the game. I mean, will every primary slot have the trifecta wherever you can get it? Seems odd, and certainly not any more interesting than what we got now. It's definitely not the total massive overhaul people might have been expecting, or whatever it is they're expecting.

If they split a 6-affix item into 3-primary and 3-secondary, and all damage-boosting stats are primary, you can't have trifecta+main stat in a 6-affix item. That's pretty big for me.
    I was disappointed in Blizzcon this year. No real new info at all.

Kinda glad I didnt pay around 1200$ to go. Living in PA ftl.
    "Get busy living or get busy dieing.."

Twitch.tv: twitch.tv/mehsiah | Youtube/Twitter in the future.
    I just want to reiterate. I am completely happy with the way things are going and am uber excited for D3 RoS. I'm just underwhelmed with the things talked about at Blizzcon. It was pretty much a rehashing of GamesCon with a very minimal amount of extra things thrown out there.

A lot of things were not discussed at all which I feel should have been, which tells me they are not very close to releasing this thing any time soon.
    If they split a 6-affix item into 3-primary and 3-secondary, and all damage-boosting stats are primary, you can't have trifecta+main stat in a 6-affix item. That's pretty big for me.

You make a good point, but this image is what had me worried.

http://diablo.incgam...76-1024x582.jpg

Maybe that's just exclusive to that set item. Rarity = power and all that.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from maka

Quote from miles_dryden

Keep in mind that a lot of the stuff shown at Blizzcon was brand new to people who haven't been following the datamining.

That's not the point. What the game really needs is the thing they talked about the least.

Gotta agree. Loot loot loot....not how often or where or how it drops. Rather, how items work, how we can escape the linear path items are on, how (exactly) they can influence a build, how we can customize items with sockets using *new socketables (if there are any), will there be charms and what do they do, 2-hand weapons, shields, are there new item affixes.....etc etc etc.

Brace for dissapointement, in my opinion, because there is no point holding that kind of information during a blizzcon unless they don't know where they are going and the most special mods are along the way of "reduce your cooldowns by x%" or htings like that.

Looks like D3 is going the way of WoW: casual expansions with "accessibility" changes for the masses. Too bad.
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes