How would you do difficulty in an ARPG?

Quote from Gheed2010

I understand why some ARPG fans hate TL2, but the starting 4 difficulties + HC option is a no-brainer, no matter your opinion on their execution of it. Making a player grind for 20 hours before the game even begins to get remotely challenging is just stupid.

Just my opinion.

That's another issue, that I wasn't really trying get at. We're talking about ways to make it difficult, when ever it gets difficult. Although I think I prefer how D3 is now, you have 4 "modes" to play through, so you can move through areas quickly, but if you want more of a challenge, increase the MP.
    One of the main issues with the "difficulty" in D3 is/was class balance.

I mean I rolled over inferno on release week because I played a DH with overpowered smokescreen (I made quite a few posts about how OP smokescreen was on the Blizzard forums during beta). There were plenty of threads, posts, and suggestions on the beta forums about abilities like smokesceen, yet Blizzard let all those abilities go live as they were.

So of course when certain classes can beat inferno so fast, yet other classes get stuck due to class balance there would obviously be plenty of complaints.

To be honest, as a DH i actually really enjoyed inferno the way it was released Beating inferno in part blues and generally terrible gear was actually quite challenging and fun even with OP abilities. Yet needless to say, a number of my RL friends quit or rerolled because the game balance was just blatantly poor.

-----

As for difficulty now, it's really hard to say. I mean you simply can't wear BiS level gear and have a challenge since the content can be outgeared.

Like today I was reading Blizzard's Monk Forums, and there were people talking about how to solo MP10 Uber ZK/SB after 1.0.7 as a Monk. Needless to say, I opened MP10 ZK/SB and decided to give it a shot on my Monk. My monk has 385 AR (and an additional 137 Physical), 3662 Armor, and 48k HP. So of course I'm a bit squishy for MP10 stuff, which makes the content challenging.

I managed to kill them on MP10, yet it wasn't a 1-shot. I hit enrage timer for a couple attempts before I got my kill. So in this situation, sure the content WAS challenging, yet if I had like another 100 AR or like 25k more DPS, the challenge simply would not have been the same. I wouldn't run into enrage timers, and I'd be able to kill SB without having to rely on potion healing due to higher mitigation.

-----

The thing is in ActionRPGs gear plays a major role in the game. IMO the best thing that could have been done is to make the most difficult content REQUIRE BiS gear and a very high level of skill, maybe like a GM level in StarCraft. At the same time that high difficulty content can not drop gear that impacts gameplay. rewards in it should have been simply cosmetic items, effects, and dyes.

In such a situation there will be content difficult enough to be challenging for everyone, yet players can always farm the best stat items without having to play near-impossible content.
    Too casual to upload anything new these days.
    Quote from TianZi

The thing is in ActionRPGs gear plays a major role in the game. IMO the best thing that could have been done is to make the most difficult content REQUIRE BiS gear and a very high level of skill, maybe like a GM level in StarCraft. At the same time that high difficulty content can not drop gear that impacts gameplay. rewards in it should have been simply cosmetic items, effects, and dyes.

In such a situation there will be content difficult enough to be challenging for everyone, yet players can always farm the best stat items without having to play near-impossible content.

I thought inferno was that, more or less, with the exception of a few OP'ed skills? I never really got very far in Inferno, so I don't know for sure.
    Quote from Nausicaa
    As for players complaining about Diablo not being hard enough, play HC and never look back ^^?

I don't get this argument.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes