Is Inferno mode really needed?

Poll: Is Inferno mode really needed for Diablo 3?

Is Inferno mode nessecary?

Is Inferno mode really needed for Diablo 3? - Single Choice

• No, I think three difficulties would have been fine. 7.1%
    After the release of the video concerning the difficulty of Diablo 3, do you guys think this game has really needed an extra 4th difficulty? Would have Normal, Nightmare and Hell been good enough as is? My personal opinion is that when the one gentleman said, "The game really starts, for me anyway, in nightmare," I felt as though the inclusion of Inferno mode in Diablo 3 has really affected normal mode in a big way.

What are your opinions on the addition of Inferno mode and how it might affect the game as a whole?

EDIT - I think there was some confusion as to what the poll was asking. I'm glad to see a majority of people like the idea of Inferno, but I saw a number of posts asking "Well why not have a super hard mode!?" I didn't ask if there should be a super hard mode. I asked if three modes could have done the same job as four. I mean, why not have 6 difficulties instead of 4 if more is better? That's what I was refering to.

If you feel that having the game's progression being spread across 4 difficulties is fine, you vote yes. If you feel having 4 modes is redundant, and that Hell could have just been the same difficulty as Inferno, you vote no.
    Some people tell me I'm going to hell. I just let them know that I've already packed my bags!
    yes it is a great addition. here are the difficulties to me:

norm = ez mode to test out the game
    nightmare = slightly more serious but still easing you into the difficulty of it
    hell = moderately difficult, no more messing around, game time.
    inferno = very difficult challenge, have to strategize and think and play defensively to survive
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    The only person who voted no is the OP :P
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

nightmare = slightly more serious but still easing you into the difficulty of it
    inferno = very difficult challenge, have to strategize and think and play defensively to survive

The only problem with your logic is that in Nightmare...You will die...Blizz said so themselves.
    I just want a little bit of tenderness :(

inferno yes, the more difficuly the better, we want a challenge, im logging again lol
    theres no way of telling until we get the game in our hands and test it. the newest video made it seem like nightmare was difficult
    There are a plenty of modes. I don't know on what i play. I think i will start woih normal and then nightmare and so the others. Inferno is ridiculous in my opinion.
    I voted for four.Only because i think if normal is really just one very long ''tutorial'',i still want my three difficulty stages after.
    DO NOT READ
    I don't understand..."The game really starts, for me anyway, in nightmare" means Normal is easy peasy, meant as an introduction for newbs, saying the game starts in Nightmare is not out of the ordinary...D2 was like that.

Well since we don't know which difficulty was shown in that vid, we'll never know, we'll just have to play the damn game. And the guy who said it can also be a newb, it doesn't mean he's good at D3 if he's working at Blizz... :Thumbs Up:

Blizz wouldn't just put an extra difficulty just for laughs...they know exactly why they did it.
    Quote from Rs10

The only person who voted no is the OP :P

Haha i lolled XD

Ofc Inferno is a must!
    We dont need Inferno, we need real end-game solution. Inferno is nice and I like it, but we need some better solution.
    Quote from Aerisot

Quote from GladHeHasBeta

The only problem with your logic is that in Nightmare...You will die...Blizz said so themselves.

sarcasm? if you die in NM you suck. lawl

Quote from Frocharocha

There are a plenty of modes. I don't know on what i play. I think i will start woih normal and then nightmare and so the others. Inferno is ridiculous in my opinion.

you cant "pick" your difficulty lol. this isnt a PS3 game (yet) you have to first beat each difficulty in order. you have to beat normal mode to access nightmare and then beat Nightmare to access hell and then hell for inferno.
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Quote from Nanthao5

We dont need Inferno, we need real end-game solution. Inferno is nice and I like it, but we need some better solution.

Bash:

Official Blizzard Quote:

The general philosophy is that we want to make finding better loot at the end game more enjoyable, and attempt to address ‘path of least resistance’ style gameplay.

There’s a couple ways we’re doing that, some of which we’re not talking about just yet.
    Primarily it’s focused around Inferno and creating a consistent difficulty across the entire act. By having a flat difficulty across the entire game in Inferno it evens things out so that no matter where you want to go you’re being challenged, and you have a good chance at getting good drops. That’s intended to open the game up so there’s simply more freedom for the player to go anywhere in the game and have an equal chance at good drops.

There will probably still be a slight difficulty curve in Inferno, as enemies simply become more complex and have greater abilities later in the game, but we’re making an effort to make it as even across the board as possible. It’s something we’ll very likely have to keep tweaking after release.

In addition we’re attempting to de-emphasize path of least resistance by creating a more equal value across monster types. We’re not going to get into specifics about who can drop what or how much, but our intent is that being out in the world exploring should be as lucrative (potentially more) as simply aiming for the quickest-to-reach boss and running that over and over.

Getting people out into the world of the game and away from repetitive boss runs is essentially our goal. It’s going to be tough because people will find a path of least resistance, and they will make that the game. We’re going to have to keep on top of it, and truthfully it’s something we’re still working on. We’ll likely want to have some additional features to support these ideals, but just getting Inferno tuned right is our current end-game goal for ship.

It not in there, I think, but they also said that rare/legendary monsters will drop better loot than Bosses, to avoid repetitive boss-runs.
    I think that Inferno mode is an awesome addition to the game, and it sounds great that we will get some challenge, so it won't be walkthrough like WoW has become. Also Inferno is going to be one huge item grinding area, which will take a lot of focus away from repeatable boss runs, and make magic item finding hopefully contain more diversity and ultimately more fun :)
    Yeah the post above kinda said it lol
    Quote from JaundiceBunny

Quote from Nanthao5

Bash:

Official Blizzard Quote:

The general philosophy is that we want to make finding better loot at the end game more enjoyable, and attempt to address ‘path of least resistance’ style gameplay.

There’s a couple ways we’re doing that, some of which we’re not talking about just yet.
    Primarily it’s focused around Inferno and creating a consistent difficulty across the entire act. By having a flat difficulty across the entire game in Inferno it evens things out so that no matter where you want to go you’re being challenged, and you have a good chance at getting good drops. That’s intended to open the game up so there’s simply more freedom for the player to go anywhere in the game and have an equal chance at good drops.

There will probably still be a slight difficulty curve in Inferno, as enemies simply become more complex and have greater abilities later in the game, but we’re making an effort to make it as even across the board as possible. It’s something we’ll very likely have to keep tweaking after release.

In addition we’re attempting to de-emphasize path of least resistance by creating a more equal value across monster types. We’re not going to get into specifics about who can drop what or how much, but our intent is that being out in the world exploring should be as lucrative (potentially more) as simply aiming for the quickest-to-reach boss and running that over and over.

Getting people out into the world of the game and away from repetitive boss runs is essentially our goal. It’s going to be tough because people will find a path of least resistance, and they will make that the game. We’re going to have to keep on top of it, and truthfully it’s something we’re still working on. We’ll likely want to have some additional features to support these ideals, but just getting Inferno tuned right is our current end-game goal for ship.

It not in there, I think, but they also said that rare/legendary monsters will drop better loot than Bosses, to avoid repetitive boss-runs.

Ummm, yeah, but why are you trying to say by this? Inferno is good, and it will serve well for year or two - but we need better system, which will keep us playing til Blizzard shuts the servers. Some good motivation, some new system. Endless dungeon, PvE rankings, I dont know, its their job to make it. But Inferno is more of "temporary" solution. It "just" makes you grind not only bosses, but also something else. But is is not the final solution.
    Ofcourse that it is needed. Its like Heroic mode in WoW. Its there to separete the good from the bad players.
    Another example there are SC2 Bronze, Silver, Gold etc Grand master leagues for the same reason.
    Quote from Aerisot

Quote from GladHeHasBeta

Exactly. If what we have heard is to be believed (and there's no reason we shouldn't), everyone will die in Nightmare. Ignore him. In another thread he claimed he wouldn't die during his first solo play-through of the entire game.
    Question is really asking 2 different things at the same time.

1) Do we need 4 difficulty levels or would 3 have been enough?

I'd be fine with 3, but 4 is cool too.

2) Do we need an end-game difficulty where the monsters in Act 1 are just as hard as the ones in Act 4 so you can play through the entire game at max level instead of just running the final boss of Act 4 over and over?

Definitely yes.
    Quote from Nanthao5

Ummm, yeah, but why are you trying to say by this? Inferno is good, and it will serve well for year or two - but we need better system, which will keep us playing til Blizzard shuts the servers. Some good motivation, some new system. Endless dungeon, PvE rankings, I dont know, its their job to make it. But Inferno is more of "temporary" solution. It "just" makes you grind not only bosses, but also something else. But is is not the final solution.

i disagree. D2 kept people playing for years with ONLY farming bosses. so D3 is infinitely better because it gives more then 1000x more farming content at a harder difficulty. so i think this is the perfect solution to what diablo is about, and its about item farming.

Quote from superfula

Quote from Aerisot

Quote from GladHeHasBeta

Exactly. If what we have heard is to be believed (and there's no reason we shouldn't), everyone will die in Nightmare. Ignore him. In another thread he claimed he wouldn't die during his first solo play-through of the entire game.

are you being sarcastic too? NM is only a bit harder then normal. and considering normal is a complete joke you wont die in nightmare unless you suck. they promise you will die eventually out of the entire game and in inferno. they said NOTHING about dying in nightmare. the guy in the vid who played said he died once in nightmare lol. and i still think i can play through without dying. i hope blizz has a "amount of times died" as a statistic so i can prove it.

Quote from Molster

I think nightmare the more casual gamers /diablo players will die, for most people posting on this site, thats not the case at all (will not be dying in nightmare much). The video has to be presented for all player types. I think inferno is where we will be really getting hit.

this^
    I think nightmare the more casual gamers /diablo players will die, for most people posting on this site, thats not the case at all (will not be dying in nightmare much). The video has to be presented for all player types. I think inferno is where we will be really getting hit.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes