Diablo III: Book of Cain

Looks good hopefully it will have something hinting at the storyline :D :D
    Looks cool, I reckon it will have a lot to do with the story (or the lore behind the story) in D3. So I wouldn't read it before finishing the game first. Also I would like the cover more if it was like this:

Quote from CritterCutter

Looks cool, I reckon it will have a lot to do with the story (or the lore behind the story) in D3. So I wouldn't read it before finishing the game first. Also I would like the cover more if it was like this:

I agree! However, the "Diablo 3" logo is a perfect example of branding, so it makes sense from a business perspective. Plus, it helps let people know that this is a newer book, not one of the old ones that a lot of people don't care about.

Also, Critter, I miss your old avatar ):
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    Quote from PhrozenDragon

Damn you Blizzard, now I have to by even more stuff from you! Hopefully this stuff is canon

Hi guys, I posted about this book around 3am EST when I saw it at Amazon. More info in a few days. I can confirm -- Diablo III: Book of Cain is CANON.

Quote from CritterCutter

Looks cool, I reckon it will have a lot to do with the story (or the lore behind the story) in D3. So I wouldn't read it before finishing the game first. Also I would like the cover more if it was like this.

The cover is not final. An updated version of the cover, and some neat stuff very soon.
    OMG MEDIEVAL!!!!!!!!! *Honored by your presense*

I'm so glad its cannon ima get it :D
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

WOW, I have to get this just to look up at my book shelf and see it everyday. Hope the cover they decide on is as epic as this one.
    What does it being CANON mean?
    The reasoning behind this is simply because anyone who purchases the CE will not really be getting what they've paid for: Collectibles. This particular item would not really be considered a collectible, as it can just be attained by anyone, separate from the CE itself, prior to the game being released. Usually Blizzard tries to keep items in the CE unique, so those of us that prefer to purchase the CE, can feel like we're actually obtaining some awesome goodies.

Not quite... While they certainly don't release things that will be in CE before it is released, they have definitely made things from a CE available seperately after it's release many times in the past... In fact, I think every art book, soundtrack, and behind-the-scenes (or cinematics in the case of earlier CE's) DVD have been released seperately from their respective CE's a little while after the game itself is released...
    "I have walked the roads that lead to Hell, I have challenged all but Fate. I have fought and bled and carried on just to reach this final gate. And now the task before me looms, this dire deed undone; I shall make my stand against the Three until the battle's won." - C. Vincent Metzen
    Quote from K1RSCH

What does it being CANON mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

Looks cool, I reckon it will have a lot to do with the story (or the lore behind the story) in D3. So I wouldn't read it before finishing the game first.

It's actually a prelude to the story, so I think it will actually be better if you read it before playing D3.

Hey, ScorchHellfire, welcome to DFans :)
    Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    @Doomscream, Thanks man!
    Definately getting this one ^^
    And amazon says it's hardcover, will probably be pretty decent then.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."
    Robert Frost, 1923

Hey, ScorchHellfire, welcome to DFans :)

Heh... couldn't resist correcting Sixen on Blizzard's product release habits... :P

Plus I already had a Curse account, so figured I might as well...
    "I have walked the roads that lead to Hell, I have challenged all but Fate. I have fought and bled and carried on just to reach this final gate. And now the task before me looms, this dire deed undone; I shall make my stand against the Three until the battle's won." - C. Vincent Metzen
    Quote from Doomscream

It's actually a prelude to the story

Are you sure? Do you have any source?

Quote from blizter

Quote from Doomscream

It's actually a prelude to the story

Are you sure? Do you have any source?

It comes out before the game... I don't think they will release a book if it's meant to tell the same story we are about to see in D3...
    It's like The Shattering for Cataclysm in some way.
    First, What tells you it's gonna be released before the game? It can be really well a supposed release date, that will be postponed if the game is not ready. And the game could also be released before that date.

Secondly, even if it is released after Diablo 3, this books tells the story of Cain, from his younger age to present. It will be used to give a more in-depth look at the lore, from a different point of view. It would really _not_ be useless for the same reason playing as the different classes will give you more informations about the world. Even after the release of Diablo 3, it could be a nice complement.

Quote from blizter

First, What tells you it's gonna be released before the game? It can be really well a supposed release date, that will be postponed if the game is not ready. And the game could also be released before that date.

Secondly, even if it is release after Diablo 3, this books tells the story of Cain, from his younger age to present. It will be used to give a more in-depth look at the lore, from a different point of view. It would really _not_ be useless for the same reason playing as the different classes will give you more informations about the world. Even after the release of Diablo 3, it could be a nice complement.

"The book will be published by Insight Editions on November 15, 2011."
    Even in the most optimistic opinions, the game will take a little more to come out than that...

Did Cain's Journal spoil anything about the plot of D3? No, not at all. I bet the same will go for Book of Cain. It will build up anticipation for the events of D3, but it won't reveal anything which is about to happen from the actual playthrough experience. So in that aspect I consider it the perfect thing to read before I get to play D3 and start digesting every bit of story.

And it's what Blizzard does lately anyways... a few months before a title release there is a book which covers the events leading up to the story of the next game.
    Looks like Kotaku has taken notice as well. http://kotaku.com/5816757/at-least-diablo-iii-the-book-will-be-out-this-year

Man I want this book :D

I loves me some lore.
    looks extremely interesting. I hope i'll be able to get my hands on this shortly after it's released.

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    Quote from Sixen
    Diablo III: Book of Cain includes Cain’s revealing meditations

I took that a bit too literally. The mental image.... I am scarred for life O_O

Anyways, I got a few of those kind of in-universe type pocketbooks from some of my favorite writers, and I haven't regretted buying any of them. They're just fun to have on your shelf. I think this one (although it's for a game) will be no different.
    This signature has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM
    All I know is that I pre-ordered it.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes