Pet-less WD for Nightmare +

This build is for a "pet-less" Witch Doctor for Nightmare ++ difficulty.

Firebomb + conflagration
    Low mana AOE for larger packs of mobs
    Conflagration rune for wider AoE + higher damage AoE

Spirit Barrage + Phlebotomize
    Higher single target dps
    Main boss "nuke"
    Phlebotomize for lifesteal when fighting bosses/champions that will inevitably cause you
    some sort of damage during the fight

Firebats + Dire bats
    Close quarters AoE
    High dps mana sink
    Dire bats provide longer range since no pets will be there to soak up hits

Grasp of the dead + Death is life
    Good overall AoE dps
    slow allows for firebomb and firebats to burn down enemies without them getting to you
    good form of crowd control (again. no pets)
    Death is life allows for more health through health globes and more globes for gruesome feast

soul harvest + swallow your soul
    Sou harvest intellect buff = more damage/mana
    Swallow your soul allows for one to group enemies and burn soul harvest for a decent mana return
    intellect buff stacks (?) with gruesome feast

Horrify + Phobia
    additional crowd control
    Phobia allows for more time to collect globes, burn down enemies, etc..

Passives: Jungle fortitude
    Basic -% damage taken for high difficulty survival

Spiritual Attunement

Decent flat rate mana regeneration

Gruesome Feast
    W/ additional health globe drops from GOTD, should easily be able to keep +intellect buffs up

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#egVZRW!aYc!cYacaa

feedback please.
    Rock solid build in my opinion, I do not see any major flaw.
    Two minor things I would like to address.
    1) Spiritual Attunement and Gruesome Feast might be enough for mana management, so you could swap the Soul Harvest rune.
    2) The 5% health globe drop chance on Grasp of the Dead is nice to have, but nothing I would count on, but probably the best option when taking Gruesome Feast.
    I see potential. But horrify only against ranged mobs? Thinking you will strike down casters and archers that easy in hell/inferno? Grasp is nice but it only works well against melee mobs, unless ranged mobs will try why-so-ever to escape the aoe. I would recommend to either change firebomb or bats for another sort of cc. Not all projectiles will be that easy to escape.
    I understand your concern on ranged mobs, but I don't see which CC spell could be effectively used for this purpose. I also feel the need to have both firebomb and bats because firebats will be my main "in-line" AoE, while firebomb would be used for more clumped mob packs. also, the high mana cost of channeling bats/the lower cost of firebomb allow you to deal damage based on how much mana you currently have, instead of burning all my mana on bats, i could throw some firebombs and still have left over mana for CCs, etc.
    Quote from Axtroz

Rock solid build in my opinion, I do not see any major flaw.
    Two minor things I would like to address.
    1) Spiritual Attunement and Gruesome Feast might be enough for mana management, so you could swap the Soul Harvest rune.
    2) The 5% health globe drop chance on Grasp of the Dead is nice to have, but nothing I would count on, but probably the best option when taking Gruesome Feast.

I am more than likely going to change one or more factors concerning Mana regeneration based on gear/further information on Witch Doctor's Mana pool, Etc.. thank you for the feedback
    sorry for double post, meant to edit my second.
    Well you either be getting really good at avoiding projectiles / casts (as it was possible in D2) or you're gonna die a lot later on. I suggest dumping something for mass confusion, though the cd sucks. Another option would be dogs or cc via coop-player/follower. All options you should consider for hell/inferno runs, as inferno is expected to be freaking bad-ass Otherwise I do understand your choices in taking both bats and firebomb, situational skill-switches might be necessary though. We'll figure out where to take which skills, I don't think there will be ONE build that makes it through entire inferno without switching some skills depending on the given situation.
    need less direct dmg spells and more CC especially if your planning on taking this into nightmare+

my petless WD will look like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fUkZRW!aYS!ccZZac

a shit ton of CC which is 100% needed esp for hell/inferno and basically make it so i can spam zombie bears a ton and reduce the CD's on my CC's to rotate them constantly.
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Yup, exactly. While SB, Firebomb and Bats are all fun spells, you can't use them at the same time so you are leaving a lot of damage on the table. Ideally you want to have a couple damage over time spells ticking on the mobs while you spam your direct damage spell. Go with one direct damage spell and sub in more cc/dots. Zombie, Firebomb or SB as your primary then add in a dot (Acid Cloud, Locust Swarm or Haunt) and Wall of Zombies
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

my petless WD will look like this: http://us.battle.net...kZRW!aYS!ccZZac

I'm a great fan of the Spirit Vessel skill, at least in theory... avoiding death every 90 sec sounds nice, reducing those 3 CDs too. Question is, which skill to take out... Jungle Fortitude seems too strong...
    Quote from Knokkelmann

Quote from GladHeHasBeta

my petless WD will look like this: http://us.battle.net...kZRW!aYS!ccZZac

I'm a great fan of the Spirit Vessel skill, at least in theory... avoiding death every 90 sec sounds nice, reducing those 3 CDs too. Question is, which skill to take out... Jungle Fortitude seems too strong...

without grave injustice with my build i wont be able to use my CD spells as often as i want and without spiritual attunement itll be mad hard to spam zombie bears. would need a lot of help from gear with mana then
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes