2h Barbarian build: Merciless Assault build

Quote from Nuvian

How is crit chance working with rend? don't have time to read the whole post now but was just wondering if the rend ticks can crit.

I got 56% crit on my gear, it would be quite a waste if crit doesn't benefit rend.

From what I have read, Rend ticks do not crit, but the initial hit can crit which is what sets the damage for ticks. Please correct me if I am wrong anyone who has done some testing. I have been watching the AH and waiting for a good 2H to drop to try out a Rend spec, so I don't have any testing to back this up. I'm 99% sure thats how it works though, so not a total waste!

EDIT: Oops it got answered, thats what I get for not refreshing this post for a while.
    Quote from Nuvian

How is crit chance working with rend? don't have time to read the whole post now but was just wondering if the rend ticks can crit.

I got 56% crit on my gear, it would be quite a waste if crit doesn't benefit rend.

Hello now I can confirm that Rend can crit, now I´m playing a dual wield build with Rend. I have arround 70k dps 45% crit 450% crit dmg and I see Rend ticks over 70k.

Some clarification about rend:

- Rend scales off only the base weapon damage, so given the same dps, the slower the weapon the harder it will tick/heal.

- Although faster weapon will result in (slightly) faster rend animation. This is largely irrelevant in terms of dps but can impact your kiting ability a bit.

- Rend do not "crit" per say, as in the number will never turn yellow, but rend will occasionally tick harder by a factor of your critdmg at the chance equals to your crit chance. Therefore, for all intent and purpose rend do "crit", but you just won't notice the bigass yellow number unless you pay attention to the numbers.
    Quote from Typho

- Rend do not "crit" per say, as in the number will never turn yellow, but rend will occasionally tick harder by a factor of your critdmg at the chance equals to your crit chance. Therefore, for all intent and purpose rend do "crit", but you just won't notice the bigass yellow number unless you pay attention to the numbers.

That's exactly what I recognized while testing it more detailed yesterday. My normal Rend-Ticks are between 8k and 10k with occasional Ticks going up to 30k (I have ~200% Crit-Dmg atm) on the same target for the same Rend-Application. So not only the initial Tick but all Ticks can crit. It is just not displayed in big yellow numbers, only "white dmg".

Thanks again Typho, I just managed to progress beyond Siegebreaker with this build yesterday. Seems that I can finally finish Inferno this weekend ;)
    Quote from tanis0

Quote from Typho

The single most important piece of gear is the 2h weapon. For 2h weapon you will only want to look at the min-max damage number and not the dps. This is because furious charge and rend takes the same animation time regardless of your attack speed. I would suggest going for 0.9 speed mace here for the damage and the weapon master bonus. However, if you find bash animation taking too long to avoid some damage, this also works with slightly faster weapon.

Good guide. I'm not sure about this part though. Can anyone verify this? I was under the impression that static-speed attacks based their damage on DPS and not on damage per hit. It should be relatively easy to test though by using a two-hander with no strength / crit and a one-hander (or two of them) with roughly the same dps and no strength/crit.

How can you even ask this? read the skills "weapon damage" where does it say "DPS" .. DPS means damage per second. its a calculation on the how much damage with the weapon damage you will do every second. So many ppl fail to understand this.

If you have a 900dps 1.6 speed or a 900dps 0,9speed they will do EXACTLY the same dps, damage per second doing a normal attack.

Now there is NO skill saying "185% of the dps, no its off the damage .." Kinda why i had to teach every damn one i met that + atk speed on weapons is not necessarily good! it actually LOWER the weapon damage... take a look at two HIGH dps weapons, the fast one just hit fast but for much less. That is not necessarily what your build needs.

2+2=?

Think a bit please. "can anyone verify that some people just dont read?"
    Quote from Typho

I'd recommend swapping out nerves of steel for berserker rage. The extra 20% makes so much different.

You won't really have to worry about not capping your fury, it fills up much faster than you think. Besides, if you're not filling up as fast as you'd like, try switching revenge rune to vengeance is mine for fury+more heals.

I guess you are right... Even though nerves of steel gives me 1400 armor, my guess is that 5k+ armor is still good enough? The +20% will boost up my cleave to 195% weapon damage which sounds totally sick. I'll probably be able to get 80-100k hits without crit.

But to be honest, i don't recall myself ever sitting on max fury but i can surely adapt my play style to that.

I don't think I'll be able to change the revenge rune since it barely procs as is with the 30% and its very much needed for the heals :P

By the way, nice guide OP, thanks for sharing.
    a short movie of my 2h barb and spec

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Buildozer-2572/hero/356791
    Thank you so much for this guide - I am really enjoying this new play style! :)

I am going to try the bersker passive today instead of nevers of steel aswell.
    Quote from Jamoose

I guess you are right... Even though nerves of steel gives me 1400 armor, my guess is that 5k+ armor is still good enough? The +20% will boost up my cleave to 195% weapon damage which sounds totally sick. I'll probably be able to get 80-100k hits without crit.

No your wrong too - seriously do people not read nowadays?

you cannot just add it to the 175% why dont you then just go ahead and add your 1000str as well and say your cleave does 1000%+175%+20% .. then your also saying that the +20% does not matter more than +20str, you really think so? no you didn't think .. i see.

People should do as I did, long ago - make a damn spreadsheet to calcualte your upgrades. two good things: 1 you actually lean how damage works, since OBVIOUSLY 9/10 ppl really dont know. 2. you will learn that stats often beats DPS, how much dps does not matter, how must 1% atk speed really do and so on ..

If you wanna roll with this guy who made this post. Then learn how damage is managed.
    Quote from Hexipox

Quote from Jamoose

No your wrong too - seriously do people not read nowadays?

you cannot just add it to the 175% why dont you then just go ahead and add your 1000str as well and say your cleave does 1000%+175%+20% .. then your also saying that the +20% does not matter more than +20str, you really think so? no you didn't think .. i see.

People should do as I did, long ago - make a damn spreadsheet to calcualte your upgrades. two good things: 1 you actually lean how damage works, since OBVIOUSLY 9/10 ppl really dont know. 2. you will learn that stats often beats DPS, how much dps does not matter, how must 1% atk speed really do and so on ..

If you wanna roll with this guy who made this post. Then learn how damage is managed.

Yeah you are right, but i cant be bothered with spreadsheets and accurate calculations. Right now i do around 50k a hit, with a 20% boost it will go up in like 10k or so, i can just test it in game and actually look at the numbers... that's enough for me dude. Calm down, i haven't claimed to be the master of dps calculations.

Why did you take it so personal i have no idea. And keep your offensive comments to yourself.
    Thanks a lot for this spec, made me play D3 again ;)
    I shelved my barbarian a long time ago and swapped to a wizard. Finding an 1150dps 2h sword with perfect stats along with this post made me love playing him again. Thanks a lot, he really is a wrecking ball now.
    "For the price of one bullet you can eat 4 hotcakes." - Vash the Stampede.
    Quote from Hexipox

How can you even ask this? read the skills "weapon damage" where does it say "DPS" .. DPS means damage per second. its a calculation on the how much damage with the weapon damage you will do every second. So many ppl fail to understand this.

What you fail to understand is some skills DO, in fact, scale off dps even though it says weapon damage in the tooltip. Examples are hydras and some of the monk abilities. You can easily test by noticing that your dmg from that abilities goes up after picking up frenzied runes. Fortunately, (or unfortunately for 1h spec) testing shows that this isn't the case with barb abilities.

Quote from Hexipox

If you just want to compare 2 build where in one build you have +20% and on the other you don't, then it's sufficed to say that in the new build your bash will do 175%*1.2 = 210% weapon swing compare to old spec 175%. This is also roughly accurate if you want to roughly calculate how much your new bash will do based off character dps sheet and ias.

Of course, it's won't be perfect as dmg buff are not multiplicative from each other (berserker rage is additive with marauder rage, for example), but for the purpose of comparing 2 builds, this rough calculation does more than enough.

Seriously though, there is no need for the hostilities against everyone. People actually pay more attention if you say it nicely.
    Thanks for this build Typho. I picked up a 1000 dps 2H for cheap on the AH just to give this a try and even with my poor just-working-thru-Act-1 gear, this build is godly. I was killing elites in seconds. I was standing in the plague just watching their health bars melt away. Rediculous.

Rend+blood lust is an absolutely monstrous skill post-patch, and I think it just put my monk that I've been farming with into the retirement home for a while.
    I have to thamk you as well. I have been stucked in act 3 with ww barbarian. After switching to this build, i cleared act 3 and 4 in one day. Having no trouble with bosses or rare/elite packs at all. Awesome!
    I found this build not to long ago and I'd have to say..its a blast. I was using a WW spec but it got boring and didn't make me feel liek a true Brab. Now with this build I'm having the time of my life watching mobs fly off screen or just blow up out right. I'm currently farming AC1 and moving onto AC2 shortly..just not having luck with drops.
    Quote from ratmaz313

I found this build not to long ago and I'd have to say..its a blast. I was using a WW spec but it got boring and didn't make me feel liek a true Brab. Now with this build I'm having the time of my life watching mobs fly off screen or just blow up out right. I'm currently farming AC1 and moving onto AC2 shortly..just not having luck with drops.

I know what you mean. WW spec feels as if I'm trying to draw something on the screen to me. I'd prefer to feel like I'm bashing my way through demons. This is part of the reason why I try to come up with a 2h build that works.
    about to try this now. got a 900 something dps 2 hand mace with 500+ str on it. should be fun. i got a higher dps 2hander, but not sure what the rest of the stats are. I get nothing but 2handers and shield drops since the patch. they are becoming the new quiver. haha
    heavymetal#1322
    http://us.battle.net...22/hero/3153312 (wiz)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/heavymetal-1322/hero/8654665 (monk)
    my twitch feed (just messing around, no super player or anything)
    http://www.justin.tv/heavymetalmak
    Im having so much fun with my 2H, i know its low dps... but i still hit hard! (My profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RChehade-1430/hero/21620311)

Ill try your build when i get home tonight!!! Thanks for the excellent post!!!
    ok, so i did the build, even had a few friends join after a while and they think its legit. only tried act 1 though, and it was pretty easy. probly rearrange my button setup for act 2, but it was pretty fun to be able to use the 2 handers i had found. Do i enjoy this as much as farming acts 1 and 2 with Sever? yet to be determined. but definitely a good build. if you want a third video opinion, here's my feed, should be the top, most recent vid

heavymetal#1322
    http://us.battle.net...22/hero/3153312 (wiz)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/heavymetal-1322/hero/8654665 (monk)
    my twitch feed (just messing around, no super player or anything)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes