Demon Hunter Guide: What You Need to Know
Table of Contents:
- Farm routes
- Useful links
Hello, my name is Zucchero and this is a guide I've made to help out those who are stuck on their way to becoming what they wish in Diablo 3 or are just simply getting into the game. I cover multiple levels of gear in this guide, farm routes for all the acts of the game and a few builds which have proven themselves to be most effective in completing said routes.
I hope you'll find what you're about to read informative and helpful. Use this guide as a reference point and don't be afraid to improvise and improve using the data you have here!
2. Glossary of terms
- AoE - Area of Effect.
- All Res. - A defensive affix.
- CC - Critical hit chance.
- CotA - Crypt of the Ancients, a dungeon located in the Act 1 zone, The Festering Woods.
- CrD // Crit. Dmg - Critical hit damage.
- Dex - Dexterity, primary attribute of the demon hunter.
- Disc - Discipline, defense and utility resource of the demon hunter.
- DH - Demon Hunter.
- DPS - Damage per Second, your total damage output within a second.This is calculated through an equation based on the character's Attack Speed, Critical Hit Damage, Critical Hit Chance and Dexterity. Click here for a tool with which you can calculate the DPS of your character.
- EHP - Effective health, which is determined through an equation that takes into account the HP (Health Points) of a character, his avoidance and his resistances/armor. Click here for a tool with which you can calculate the EHP of your character.
- Hatred - The offensive resource of the Demon Hunter. It is generated by some abilities and consumed by others.
- Int- Intelligence, a weak defensive attribute for demon hunters.
- MF - Magic Find.
- MS - Movement speed.
- MP - Monster power level.
- NPC - Non-player character.
- Vit - Vitality, primary health attribute.
NOTE: All of the builds listed here have been tested in each of the farm routes that I have recommended. Builds 1 and 2 are fairly equal, the choice boils down to play style really. I've outlined their pros and cons so you can best decide for yourself. They can all be used in both solo-farming and group-farming without any drawbacks.
1. Build Number 1 - Hungering Arrow / Elemental Arrow -
2. Build Number 2 Bola Shot build (Immortal DH)
3. CotA farming build (only recommended for use in MP1-2 with medium to high-end gear) (SOLO ONLY)
NOTE 1: These guides are designed so that you have a rough idea of what gear you can expect, for the money you are willing to spend. When searching for gear upgrades on the AH based off of this guide, please be prepared to make slight adjustments (either increasing if the budget allows it or decreasing if the market price goes up too much) to the affix values, as prices vary constantly.
NOTE 2: I have not included any Magic Find in the mandatory searches. This is a very important aspect, as it skews results and you can never truly make a reliable guide if you factor in MF. In case you are looking for gear with MF, you can still use this guide as a template, as it outlines the basic stat combinations that make the class work, just be prepared to pay a lot more for gear with that particular affix.
As a rule of thumb, when you are looking for gear for a demon hunter, you should look out for the following things:
- Dexterity is extremely important. The more dexterity you have, the more your Crit. Chance and Crit. Dmg matter and vice-versa. For example, at high end levels of gear ( 2400 dex, 50% crit chance, 40% attack speed and 300+ crit hit damage), a point of Dex will give you approximately 60 DPS.
- You must strive for at least 40% Crit. Chance and 220% Crit. Dmg. , even at the lowest levels of gear.
- Your absolute minimum amount of Dexterity should be around 1750.
2. Mid-range gear (25-50 million budget)
4. High-end gear (100+ million budget)
5. Near Best-in-Slot gear // Best-in-Slot gear (500 million+ budget)
NOTE: The Enchantress and Scoundrel are equally matched up to the highest levels of gear, while the Templar has a severe lack of utility I highly recommended using the Enchantress or the Scoundrel and ignoring the Templar completely.
6. Farm routes
1. Act I
- Keywarden run
- Efficiency farm run
2. Act II
- Vault of the Assassins runs
- Keywarden run
3. Act III
- Azmodan run/Keywarden run
- The long farm run:
4. Act IV
Act 4 is way too inefficient for farming in my opinion, very low mob density, mob difficulty is higher than previous acts with no extra benefit. The only real reason you’d come here is for the Infernal Machine plans, for which I recommend doing a clear from the first quest of the act up to the keeper himself, thus ensuring that you will have 5 Nephalem stacks when you reach him. Try MP3 so you have a higher chance of success when attempting to farm the plan (Mid-range level gear+).
7. Useful links
If you are ever in search of more information about Demon Hunters, or indeed Diablo 3 in general, check out these sites:
- D3 Max Stats - gives information on the maximum affixes that can roll on any one item. Extremely useful for making informed decisions on the AH.
- Diablo Progress - fun and informative site, it ranks you against all the other players of the world, so you can have an idea where you on the ladder. Also, has lists of every item ever generated on the D3 live servers.
- An EHP calculator can be found at this site.
- You can get a DPS calculator from this topic here, amazing work put into it by the author. (Excel is needed)
- The Blizzard official Game Guide is also an excellent place to go for information, although it sometimes doesn't have what you are looking for.
- And last, but not least, Diablo Fans !
Thank you for reading,
Edited by Zucchero, 26 January 2013 - 11:00 PM.