Haha I don't know about the boots. When I did the design and I was thinking about his armor I wanted it to feel genuinely barbarian so my mind basically went ( *caveman talking style* barbarian RAARGH! big man live in cold place. Big man go hunt and smash puny bear skull. Man eat meat. Man take hide for clothes. and uh maybe... scrubs everything out of a bear's paw and makes boot?) and yes I was inspired by the d3 artwork. I dunno, I think bear paws as boots are cool.
And yes....scars. Dammit, I can't think of a good excuse for why I forgot that *facepalm*
- 12/7/2009 4:03:19 PM Posted in: Fan Art
9/23/2009 11:14:28 PM
Ok so here is the barbarian picture I've been working on for so long. I would have finished it earlier but college kept me away from my tablet.Posted in: Fan Art
Anyhow, I thought it would be nice to have a barbarian that looked like he had some experience. I still remember when playing d2 that there were quite a lot of old people in Harrogath. That left an impression on me.
Also, I thought it would be nice to equip him with a sword for once.
So here is the picture, with 2 close-ups on the original sized jpg.
Image removed due to its file extension: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1842&stc=1&d=1253765369
8/31/2009 6:17:19 AM
Just wanted to say that your artwork is indeed very nice. Everything is well rounded: proportions, values, composition. Keep up the good work!Posted in: General Discussion
Oh and...if you DO post any Diablo fan art please don't draw Diablo or Tyrael...we already have a handful of those.
8/30/2009 6:16:37 PM
Yea, sorry naj for not writing something more consistent. College has started and I have very little time. Plus I'm working on a piece of my own, that I want to finish colouring before I actually tell anything about colouring to you lol:D. Here is a sneak peak I have posted some time ago if you are interested: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19736Posted in: Fan Art
8/29/2009 8:37:17 PM
Nice sketch. Seeing a coloured version would definitely be nice. He kind of reminds me of the dervish in Guild Wars.Posted in: Fan Art
Other than that, he has a very promising look.
8/29/2009 8:33:21 PM
The composition looks a bit sporadic to me. I have difficulty reading the picture as a whole ( colour and shading wise). However, the anatomy and lines are very good, and the textures are very well rendered, but in the wrong chroma key maybe? I think you might have problems with values in this painting.Posted in: Fan Art
But other than that, very good job. Every element looks good individually. I especially like the illuminated gate.
8/29/2009 8:22:10 PM
Actually. It looks good. A bit chaotic but good.Posted in: Fan Art
EDIT: sorry I don't have the time to write anything more constructive. I'm working on an art piece of my own at this period.
6/26/2009 6:16:57 PM
It's a good start for a beginner.Posted in: Fan Art
If you want to improve tough i suggest you draw random stuff from real life...like people, hands, chairs, mugs whatever comes to your mind. Do this to practice your perspective, proportions and anatomy because right now your drawings look flat and are anatomically incorrect. Although it's not something to get upset with since you're just beginning.
On the good side tough I can say that you have good definite base lines ( not fuzzy like some beginners tend to draw them).
Keep up with the work.
6/25/2009 3:26:54 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums!Posted in: Fan Art
From seeing your work i can tell that you have some skill. Your work reminds me of Frazetta somehow...guess that's a good thing.
Here are my reviews of your pics.
1. I like this one very much. Good overall composition, values and anatomy. Although the chroma seems a bit too saturated in some places.
Also, there are some anatomy issues with the hands and his left foot. For the hands they are minor. In the case of the foot it's a bit more drastic but it actually helps the composition because of that nice curve. In your palce, I don't know if I would have completely straightened it but maybe I would have made it a little bit less curvy.
But I have to say that I really like the feel in this one. Good posture. Very dark. The background is also very nicely rendered. I can smell a little bit of Andrew Jones in there. Oh and is that a bible on his chain? Nice...and a mug? Lol that's cool it made me laugh.
Image removed due to its file extension: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1767&stc=1&d=1245962147
2. Good. Altough i'm skeptical about his third arm or whatever that thing is that is holding him in fron of himself, I do like the feel in this painting. Once again, dark and gloomy. Also there is a nice aquarelic feel to the work which is great.
3. I like his pose, the lightning ( especially on the grass) and his hair. The rest needs a bit of work...but it's a sketch I suppose so that's really good. Altough I would ahve atleast drawed his fingers.
4. Nice. Good sketch overall. I'm skeptical about his right arm tough ( too much sapce between it and his chest)
5. Nice atmosphere. I would have made the tree look more realistic...or more devilishly scary. Because right now it's kind off silly actually. After the middle of the trunk it breaks away into a very incoherent bunch of branches...like straws. Doesn'T feel tree-ish to me.
6. Ok...I really like this one. I don't know if he killed himself with that claymore but this picture has a nice psychotic or whatveer you call it feel to it. Which...is a good thing. Especially considering that it's DIABLO fan art. I like how his silhouette is drawn against the bacground. And how the background fades in . The dark liquid or...energy...or cloth...or whatever is dripping from his hand is also cool. His torso is also very well rendered. I love the arrows.
Very good composition overall, nice silhouette. I still would have worked more on the hands tough.
It seems to be a reccurent issue with your drawings. You don't like drawing the fingers and the hands in general ( yea it's hard i know). Altough I have seen your sketchbook and saw some of your hands studies.... they are good. I don't understand why you don't incorporate that into your sketches.
Anyhow, great work...hope to see more of you.
6/22/2009 2:52:44 PM
Very nice work Yngvar.Posted in: Fan Art
The overall composition is great. I really like the fire texture on the axes and the facial expression of the fallen to the far right. the background is also very well done. I love the silhouettes of the hands and limbs in grey.
There are only 3 things that bother me:
1. I understand that it would have been hard to get his eyes right at this scale, but was darkening them completely really the best option? It does add to his bad ass attitude, but maybe a hint of an iris or of an eyelid would have helped to make them more plausible. Because imo, right now his face is missing a little something. Here is an analogic situation. I think it's better with at least the
eyelids being shown:
2. He is standing on his knees, I suppose. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but maybe showing his right calve and foot a little bit would have been better for the readability of the painting.
3.You have done a good job texturising the environment. Besides it, the skin of the barbarian and of the fallens looks a bit plain, ceramic even. Most of the concept artist do it this way, and it's not a major isssue. However i find that texturized skin, even slightly, adds a lot to the painting.
But as you can see, my complaints are minor. The anatomy, composition and values are all very good. Excellent work, keep it up.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.