Diablo III is No Child's Play

Ever since that first rainbow appeared in the gameplay video, numerous fans have complained and argued the Diablo was becoming to childish. The loss of self-appointed stats and a quick respawn mechanic also made fans think that maybe Diablo was becoming too easy. Multiple threads popped up on Battle.net voicing these concerns. Bashiok finally chimed in on one of these threads.

Official Blizzard Quote:

Yes, I remember playing Diablo when I was 16. I'm not sure if I was a "man" then. ... Sometimes I question if I'm one now... BUT THAT'S NEITHER HERE NOR THERE!

Anyway, I'm not sure being screwed out of experience and gold and items makes it a "man's game". A masochist's game, for sure, but then I'm sure there are plenty of ladies who enjoy being punished too.

This post is getting weird.

Ok, in closing, mechanics that punish players are contrary to our core company design philosophies, and so no, outside of you playing a Hardcore character, there will likely be no intentional mechanics in the game that will punish you.

Semi-related is that we're still aiming for an ESRB rating of Mature.
    As Bashiok said, it is not punishment that makes a game more difficult. The game can have plenty of challenges while using mechanics that make the game more action packed. While frequent checkpoints and a ressurection system may make dying less significant, it undoubtedly helps players get back to hacking and slashing. If you still think this is too easy, there is always hardcore. Finally, to every Diablo fan's delight, the game will retain its mature rating. So prepare for more disembowelled humans hanging from torture devices and topless female demons to slay.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

nice catch! with all that blood we saw in the latest gameplay videos i cant say i had a doubt that the ESRB rating would be M.
    on the punishment part... i guess my masochist's side will appear and i'll play hardcore. oh dear god...

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    All I can can say is, lets see what happens at BlizzCon in 2 weeks. Mature rating FTW!
    Quote from theBDank

All I can can say is, lets see what happens at BlizzCon in 2 weeks. Mature rating FTW!

not only that they are starting to rate the game...I bet those people that said 2012 or 2013 are geting a little nervus..(meaning the game is getting closer to finishing :))

~Mike~
    (...)Diablo was becoming too childish. The loss of self-appointed(...)
    I agree with the concepts being put across here. Games that punish the player can be really extra frustrating, there is no need to put frustrating game mechanics inside a game that is meant to be fun. There are also plenty of ways to make a game challenging without making it stupidly hard, and for those who do want it like that there is hardcore mode :)
    "Beware foul daemons and beasts."

"One does not simply rock into Mordor."

"There's no I in Team America!"
    They will make the game more challenging and not more punishing which gets +1 from me.

About them starting to rate the game - I don't think they meant they are starting to rate the game just that they Hope the rating will be M. But maybe I just misunderstood? If they've started rating the game then yaaahoooooo :D But, seriously, what does it mean development-wise if they've started rating the game cause I don't know much about such kind of things?

Off-topic: Weren't we supposed to get a female barb armor set yesterday?
    That sounds like music in my ears.. Bodylimbs, blood, gruesome landscaped.. Grrreat! ^w^

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Quote from Akuma_Gin

it's every Tuesday and Thursday so no, it's going to be today :)

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    i like, almost love the fact that blizz are pushing hardcore as a "proper" endgame model.

it was good in d2, but kind of (dare i say...!!) limited, almost to the point of couldnt die in most cases (d2lod hc!). even then, hcc was becomming a sort of immortal to a point... but atleast you had p/tk "policing" the ladder.

all in all, looking forward to a huge hardcore community personally!! plus, the deaths will create a decent item loss sink - assuming you cant loot deads. but even then hardcore created a good way of item sinking.
    Diii: Classix#2766; Daanlandjnr 60 baba Act2 Inf; DrDaanland 50 WD Act4 Hell; FApSsoso WZ Act1 Norm
    ~HardcoreClassic for Life ~~Clan LeFAp ~ HcC Europe since Beta Jul '96~
    GarGanTuaN highest d2 beta maul baba
    Supporter of GERBarb, first 99 char ever; Team player of GerMania first 99 sorc classic softcore 1.06
    jojo_LeFAp 93 necro HcC EU 1.08; jojojo_LeFAp 95 necro HcC EU 1.08; Daanland_LeFAp 94 s/s baba HcC EU 1.08
    Quote from EvilBeanz

Quote from theBDank

not only that they are starting to rate the game...I bet those people that said 2012 or 2013 are geting a little nervus..(meaning the game is getting closer to finishing :))

~Mike~

yes and no!

most game devs apply for the rating and then build within those limits/requirements. those that apply late, risk a reshuffle of the game content, almost putting the game at risk of a major release setback!
    Diii: Classix#2766; Daanlandjnr 60 baba Act2 Inf; DrDaanland 50 WD Act4 Hell; FApSsoso WZ Act1 Norm
    ~HardcoreClassic for Life ~~Clan LeFAp ~ HcC Europe since Beta Jul '96~
    GarGanTuaN highest d2 beta maul baba
    Supporter of GERBarb, first 99 char ever; Team player of GerMania first 99 sorc classic softcore 1.06
    jojo_LeFAp 93 necro HcC EU 1.08; jojojo_LeFAp 95 necro HcC EU 1.08; Daanland_LeFAp 94 s/s baba HcC EU 1.08
    Quote from FingolfinGR

Quote from Akuma_Gin

it's every Tuesday and Thursday so no, it's going to be today :)

Silly me, I thought they meant Wednesday :D
    Hell yea! Topless female demons! :olddiablo:
    Unless the game was already rated for mature and they are just "aiming" to keep it within that area?
    Quote from liquorice

Lol the succubus from D1. Hope they return :P
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

I would like to see topless female demons at blizzcon lol.
    Quote from DesmondTiny

Quote from liquorice

Lol the succubus from D1. Hope they return :P

Ya I agree, the succubus kicked ass in D1, it was one of the most arousing and terrifying thing in the game. I was torn between loving the thing and hating it 0_o!

It's like every time bashiok speaks a part of me dies --- I really wanna play this game because I'm am just hearing nothing, but bad news...
    :D:D
    what bad news is that?

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

Quote from Phatcat

It's like every time bashiok speaks a part of me dies --- I really wanna play this game because I'm am just hearing nothing, but bad news...

Yeah, what'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes