My idea for the last energy system

So far, we know how four of the five energy systems work. The Barbarian's is a pool that starts at zero and is gained through fighting. The Monk has a two part system with combo points building to create energy for other moves. The Witch Doctor has the classic mana and the Wizard has a set pool that drains as she cast spells.

I think that the last class will have a energy system that relies on balance. I originally had this idea for the Wizard's instability but with that gone, I think they could apply it to the last class. Overall, how it works is that half of your skills drain one side but raise the other. The other half raises the opposite side and drains the other.

For example (disregard names and skills, this is just to illustrate how the system works and not what the last class will have):

Mulit-shot: -15 concentration +15 nature
    You loose concentration since it is needed to shoot the arrow but you gain nature from not using it.

Venom: +10 concentration -10 nature
    You loose nature since you need it for the spell but regain concentration because it was not needed for venom.

Now, to make sure that you do not have an unlimited supply of energy which none of the other classes have, there will be an imbalance to some of the subtraction and gain like you +15 concentration and - 20 nature for one spell and -30 concentration +5 nature for another.

What this system allows is for a wide use of differing skills but you cannot constantly spam one skill over and over. But does allow for continual use of different skills. Strategy is also needed for this system to maximize the amount of spells you can cast without running out of energy. Blizzard has said that they want these different systems to help drive how you play your character and this does just that. It is also fairly simple, which is also important so players don't have to think too much about their energy system. When out of combat both your concentration and nature will regain since you are not using either.

This system can also be applied to a number of different situations the last class may have. If it is a bow user, the other side can add a bit of magic for him to use. If he has a pet then one side can be for his attacks and the other for the pet's. If it is for some sort of knight class/tank class, one can be for defense and the other offense. The point is, the simple mechanic can be applied to several different situations and still be viable.
    Visual:
    The Barb has infinite energy as long as he keeps dealing damage.

Does this thing regenerate over time or something? I also don't see the great strategic aspect. You spam skill 1 until you run out of one resource, then you spam the skill 2, then 1, then 2, and on and on. So instead of smashing one button you will be smashing two. The only thing this does is to force this dual skill behavior, it doesn't really spice up gameplay.

So far, we have know how four of the five energy systems work. The Barbarian's is a pool that starts at zero and is gained through fighting. The Monk as a two part system with combo points building to create energy for other moves. The Witch Doctor has the classic mana and the Wizard has a set pool that drains as she cast spells.

I think that the last class will have a energy system that relies on balance. I originally had this idea for the Wizard's instability but with that gone, I think they could apply to the last class. Overall, how it works is that half of your skills drain one side but raise the other. The other half raises the opposite side and drains the other.

For example (disregard names and skills, this is just to illustrate how the system works and not what the last class will have):

Mulit-shot: -15 concentration +15 nature
    You loose concentration since it is needed to shoot the arrow but you gain nature from not using it.

Venom: +10 concentration -10 nature
    You loose nature since you need it for the spell but regain concentration because it was not needed for venom.

Now, to make sure that you do not have an unlimited supply of energy which none of the other classes have, there will be an imbalance to some of the subtraction and gain like you +15 concentration and - 20 nature for one spell and -30 concentration +5 nature for another.

What this system allows is for a wide use of differing skills but you cannot constantly spam one skill over and over. But does allow for continual use of different skills. Strategy is also needed for this system to maximize the amount of spells you can cast without running out of energy. Blizzard has said that they want these different systems to help drive how you play your character and this does just that. It is also fairly simple, which is also important so players don't have to think too much about their energy system. When out of combat both your concentration and nature will regain since you are not using either.

Visual:

Nice one! That actually makes sence and in ways fits the archer class.
    I still think my adrenaline idea for a resource system isn't bad either though :).
    Quote from Ophion

The Barb has infinite energy as long as he keeps dealing damage.

Does this thing regenerate over time or something? I also don't see the great strategic aspect. You spam skill 1 until you run out of one resource, then you spam the skill 2, then 1, then 2, and on and on. So instead of smashing one button you will be smashing two. The only thing this does is to force this dual skill behavior, it doesn't really spice up gameplay.

One, this resource can go for a long time without running out if you use the right spells. You won't necessarily be able to spam two skills because certain skills will not gain one as much as it uses the other. It will not always be a 50/50 situation like one side is 25 so the other has to be 75. You could have 20 on one side and 15 on the other. Weaker spells will be a more equal gain/loss so you can spam these more frequently but stronger spells may cost a significant loss with only minimal gain. If one side is low, and you use this, you won't gain much back so you will have to only use weak spell to gain it back up. It spices up gameplay by driving your characters skill selections to keep the balance. And as I said, they will both slowly regen out of combat. So you will start off strong and it will be up to you to keep you energy source abundant. There will more likely be more of loss per skill than gain to make sure you can't constantly spam more skills.
    Well... I don't like it personally, but that is just me. The way you describe it makes it sound a bit hardcore with all the managing and skill switching to reg this or that resource.

There will more likely be more of loss per skill than gain to make sure you can't constantly spam more skills.

So you mean that at some stage of the combat you will inevitably end up with drained resources, but how soon this moment will come... it is up to you and how wise you use your skills ?

It's not a bad idea. New players can also use their skills without having some strategy, but min/maxers can try harder and get the most out of their resources.
    Quote from Ophion

Well... I don't like it personally, but that is just me. The way you describe it makes it sound a bit hardcore with all the managing and skill switching to reg this or that resource.

This. The way it works you might as well just give the class two seperate resources that work completely independant: some skills cost nature, some cost arcane, maybe some that cost both. Because adding to one resource by substracting from the other is too complicated if the cost isn't the same as what you get. We'll be focussing on killing demons, not walking around with a calculator...
    This signature has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM
    It is a system that allows new players to use it easily but has potential for skilled players to maximize their damage output. It has nothing to do with calculations but understanding skill choices and combinations to maximize potential. Separate sources would completely ruin the dynamic of this system and what makes it so different from the others.
    I get the dynamic of the system, I actually posted something similar a while ago <link here>. But that was with the idea that the cost and bonus would be the same, hence together the resources would always be 100, and sometimes you'd have more nature and sometimes more arcane, but always the same amount together. That would be easy to use, everyone would be able to understand it immediately, but you'd still have to find a balance to it. The idea was also that you got bonuses for using certain skills when in a certain resource, rather than having to spend the resource to cast something. This was because I was trying to think of something that allowed the Wizard to keep casting without letting her spam 1 skill all the time.

Your idea is kinda different in that you would be able to run out of the resource and not be able to do anything. Granted, since we're now talking about an idea for the fifth class, this does make more sense for a ranged character who can still fire arrows when he/she can't cast anymore. No problem there. The problem comes however from the combination of the two resources and the idea that you should be able to run out of resources... My fear is that because the system is kind of complicated, you'd eventually just fall back on a certain rhythm that you know will work: arcane blast, nature spike, arcane blast, nature spike, chaos bolt, wait 5 seconds, start again. And not be able to put in some other skills depending on the situation because you have no idea how that would affect your resources and what you'd be left with, so you'd kinda be forced to use the same spells all the time instead of diversifying.. which, really, is what we are NOT trying to accomplish with this system, right?

Edit: forgot to turn "<link here>" into an actual link :facepalm:
    I understand. I think a limitless system just doesn't work. Even the wizard went to a pool. If the barb runs out of enemies then he is out, not to mention starting at zero. I also don't think that the cost and gain have to differ to greatly for most spells. It would mainly be for skills such as Blizzard, that we do not want people being able to cast over and over again. The two sides would balance out for the most part but eventually both sides would be exhausted. I don't think it is as complicated as you may think it is. You are not constantly going to be thinking about balancing out both sides. It just allows an opportunity for player skill to make your character stronger.
    Hmm, the main problem I have with it is really readability.. Two different bars that go up and down seperately kinda makes it hard to make out what you can and can't do at a certain time.

I know from playing a Rogue or Death Knight in WoW that a complicated resource system basically makes for a priority system rather than a damage rotation. The only way that worked in WoW though is that almost every skill works the same way on almost every enemy.. not the case in Diablo 2, all enemies have different tactics and resistances. In Diablo 2, you (hopefully) won't have a damage rotation OR a priority system, but rather you will use different skills depending on the situation (in a perfect world...).

--

Okay, how about this: let's say that nature is green and arcane is yellow. You have an orb just like the other classes, it fills as you do nothing or with certain skills, and depletes as you do your thing. Now, instead of it being a fixed color, it goes from pure green to pure yellow and every color in between. The more yellow it is, the more bonus damage your arcane spells will do. The more green, the more bonus damage your nature spells will do.

The idea here is that instead of having two resources that can get depleted seperately, which might be a bit confusing and difficult to play around with, you just have ONE resource that can deplete, but the resource can shift colors allowing for different spells schools to do different amounts of damage... You still have a limited resource pool and 2 different spell schools, but it's alot easier to read and understand so you can spend your attention focussing what school of magic to use and on what skill from that school to use on the current enemies, rather than what skill would be optimal to use for your resource situation :biggrin:

It is a system that allows new players to use it easily but has potential for skilled players to maximize their damage output. It has nothing to do with calculations but understanding skill choices and combinations to maximize potential. Separate sources would completely ruin the dynamic of this system and what makes it so different from the others.

I believe this is the problem. Why would people (in this case newbs) want to play a character with that resource system if their damage will be lower compared to a simple char like the Wiz or Barb? If you can't manage the system well then your damage is inevitably going to drop.
    It won't necesarily be lower dmg. Like they said wih the monk, I played to his fullest potential he will have the highest dmg output but newbs can still play as the monk and do comparable dmg. It just gives advanced players an opportunity to maximize dmg output
    I'd have a lot of fun with this dual-resource idea
    it would be perfect for a character with an apparent split in character
    maybe dark/holy yin and yang vibe

the adrenaline sounds really cool to,
    i like the idea of having a visual representation of your characters adrenaline so you can catch the hint of approaching enemies

hmmm i was thinking of one to include myself
    something along the lines of runes for each of the three trees of the class that have cooldowns
    not unlike if you played WoW how the death knights resources work
    but come to think of it thats what the monk has isnt it?

correct me if im wrong
    Quote from shieldmaiden
    hmmm i was thinking of one to include myself
    something along the lines of runes for each of the three trees of the class that have cooldowns
    not unlike if you played WoW how the death knights resources work
    but come to think of it thats what the monk has isnt it?

correct me if im wrong
    Well the Monk has the spirit resource which is basically a Death Knight with no runes, only runic power (y'know.. the blue stuff that fills up when the DK does his skills). So it's not exactly the same seeing as the DK resource totally focusses on the runes and the runic power is basically the stuff that allows you to do something in between. For the Monk it'll be all about executing those strong spirit moves and building up the resource for it. It's actually just like the Assassin in D2 except instead of the combo points going onto an enemy they go onto the character and he can use them however he wants to.

Hope this helped.
    I agree, I think this system would work perfectly with a class that has more of a distinction between their different skills. It could be like focus and adrenaline. These two aspects are very different. Focus could be used for ranged attacks with a bow and adrenaline for when they charge into the fight.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes