Gems - Craft or Buy?

I want to craft, but I simply don't have sufficient Tomes of Secrets dropping to do gems and 1.0.7 craftables. Part of me thinks I may be better off just selling the gems I'm accumulating and just purchasing the Radiant Stars as needed. Then again I sometimes feel that I am doing a lot of crafting and, maybe, I should just bite the bullet and buy Tomes of Secrets on the AH and live with it.

What do you guys do?
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Usually always buy .... Unless I'm really bored then I might craft to kill time
    crafting has historically always been cheaper. There are multiple calculators you can google for that will tell you what the gold difference is. Two notes:

1)sometimes people are willing to sell face to face at cheaper than AH rates (because they are going to lose 15% on AH)
    2)the next patch will include a "batch" craft that will allow you to craft the 800 million gems you need to make a Marquis gem all at once without having to click 800 million times.
    I craft everything. But then again, I also pick up everything (except blues and whites).
    Quote from maka

I craft everything. But then again, I also pick up everything (except blues and whites).

Same.

I'm just hitting a point where I barely find enough Tomes of Secrets to fuel gear crafting. Gem crafting seems daunting and brutal. I have plenty of gold from selling all of my dozens of Inna's Helms (I seriously wish I were lying here, I seem to find at least one per week and I sure as shit can't use them all :().

Quote from JKlimek

crafting has historically always been cheaper. There are multiple calculators you can google for that will tell you what the gold difference is.

Mind linking some?

As for the craft-all feature, that's nice, but that's not really where my problem is. I'm hording Flawless Square gems at the moment because, frankly, there's just no point to craft gems now when in a week or two it's going to be set it and forget it. The button-mashing to make gems TODAY just isn't worth the convenience gain TOMORROW, if you know what I mean.

I'm talking about from a materials perspective, given that I probably do not have sufficient Tomes of Secrets.

Do I stop crafting gear (somehow I think that's a very stupid idea) or do I bite the bullet and buy 2-3000 Tomes of Secrets on the AH (I sold several thousand at the beginning of 1.0.7 when they were much higher price and they were sitting in my bank).... or do I just keep going and hope I nail a few nice crafts and then open up the door to stockpile Tomes of Secrets for gems?

Gah!
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Just out of curiosity: why are you reluctant to buy tomes from the AH? Financial reasons, or just because you would rather not buy mats at the AH?
    Use this http://diablo-3-gem-...r.com/index.php or anything similar and buy tomes or any other mats you are missing as long as that's the cheaper way.

On EU - if that's where you play - it is worth to buy Radiant Star gems right now, because they are on RMAH for about 80cents, which lowers the gold prices too (they were at 12mil at one point about a week ago; crafting fees are 15.4mil excluding mats).
    Quote from maka

Just out of curiosity: why are you reluctant to buy tomes from the AH?

You might laugh, but it irritates me to have to buy crafting mats. I have plenty of everything.... except Tomes of Secrets. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong when I barely have enough to keep up with the Demonic Essence intake for gear crafting. Finding 1600+ per Radiant Star (from Flawless Square) is unthinkable!

@Turtel
    Thanks that does simplify a lot of the math for me and helps me to see where my price point is if I'm crafting for myself. Tomes of Secrets are stupid cheap on the US AH it seems. 280g per, making them about 5% of the total cost of the gem. I guess I really shouldn't be worried about slogging 450k or so into the AH to make a gem especially since I managed to sell Tomes of Secrets at 5-6x that price when 1.0.7 went live. I would like to be able to craft self-found but I'm just not seeing that as reasonable so long as I'm making gloves, bracers, amulets, chests, etc.

If anyone has hot Tome of Secret farming tricks, please do let me know! ;)
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from Turtel

On EU - if that's where you play - it is worth to buy Radiant Star gems right now, because they are on RMAH for about 80cents, which lowers the gold prices too (they were at 12mil at one point about a week ago; crafting fees are 15.4mil excluding mats).

How is it even possible market price < crafting="" price....="">.
    My Barb (p100,300k unbuffed) /// Newborn Monk
    Quote from Luiquao

How is it even possible market price < crafting="" price....="">.

It's my best guess and i might be wrong, but I'd say duping (gems are best candidates since they always have the same stat), but i don't want to call it out without any proof - just answering the question + tons of ppl know about this, since it's going on for weeks, i jsut never saw a thread here. It happened before, when prices went to 4mils for rad stars on EU. Now less ppl notice and those that do, sell stuff on RMAH to battle.net balance, buy gems for the money, sell the gems for gold etc.... going off-topic here. If any one wants to discuss this, pls in a different thread.
    I doubt it's duping. I think it's rather related to the low price of gems on the RMAH.

If you sell one item for 70 bucks on the RMAH, you can buy about 100 gems, and I guess some of the AH flippers are turning this into gold again then - and even if they sell every gem for just 10 million (which would be extremely underpriced compared to crafting cost of one gem) they still end up with a billion. Wondering though if Blizzard bans these people at some point.
    How do people run out of tomes. :o
    I have over 2000 tomes and I can't use them up for anything. I replenish them almost instantly after using on something. Odd.

And what Bagstone said about gems.
    Quote from Bagstone

If you sell one item for 70 bucks on the RMAH, you can buy about 100 gems, and I guess some of the AH flippers are turning this into gold again then - and even if they sell every gem for just 10 million (which would be extremely underpriced compared to crafting cost of one gem) they still end up with a billion. Wondering though if Blizzard bans these people at some point.

Why'd Blizzard ban them? They don't do anything wrong and provide income for Blizzard.
    Quote from Ayeri

Why'd Blizzard ban them? They don't do anything wrong and provide income for Blizzard.

The "provide income for Blizzard" is not an argument, so let's forget about this. If "getting people onto the (RM)AH" would be Blizzard's #1 priority they wouldn't have introduced BoA items in the first place.

Not sure if they do or don't do anything wrong, but I remember there was a thread on the official forums discussing this, I think along the lines of "don't run a business" thing of the Terms of Use. Can't find it.
    Buy! It's cheaper than crafting yourself for some strange reason.
    The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t...
    I'm trying to craft a 100% CD emerald by myself =_= man it's hard work especially when you run out of emeralds
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Quote from Bagstone

I doubt it's duping. I think it's rather related to the low price of gems on the RMAH.

You basically said exactly what i did :)
    That doesn't explain why the gems are so cheap - 65cents right now. It doesn't make sense to me why would anyone legitimately sell a gem for that low, minus 15 or 30%, when the crafting cost is 15.4 mil + mats. The prices were higher for a few months, emeralds used to cost nearly 30mil, which was about the crafting+mats cost + about 10-12%, which makes sence, but then 1eur gems apear on RMAH, which drives GAH price down a little.
    It's probably just me... i'm missing something.
    Quote from Turtel

You basically said exactly what i did :)
    That doesn't explain why the gems are so cheap - 65cents right now. It doesn't make sense to me why would anyone legitimately sell a gem for that low, minus 15 or 30%, when the crafting cost is 15.4 mil + mats. The prices were higher for a few months, emeralds used to cost nearly 30mil, which was about the crafting+mats cost + about 10-12%, which makes sence, but then 1eur gems apear on RMAH, which drives GAH price down a little.
    It's probably just me... i'm missing something.

The reason that they are so cheap on the RMAH is because so many people are using them as a way to turn gold into real money. The reason they are so cheap on the gold AH is because people buy them with real money and then turn around and sell them immediately for gold. How much they cost to make originally isn't relevant at a certain point because they are just being used as currency. Allowing gold to be sold for 100,000,000 for .25 would push them to more realistic prices, but Blizzard doesn't seem to care.
    ...and if you disagree with me, you're probably <insert random ad hominem attack here>.
    Quote from tanis0

The reason that they are so cheap on the RMAH is because so many people are using them as a way to turn gold into real money. The reason they are so cheap on the gold AH is because people buy them with real money and then turn around and sell them immediately for gold. How much they cost to make originally isn't relevant at a certain point because they are just being used as currency. Allowing gold to be sold for 100,000,000 for .25 would push them to more realistic prices, but Blizzard doesn't seem to care.

Yo dawg, we heard you like bartering so we put a currency in your currency so you can trade while you trade.

Something like that, right?
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Crafting is more "respectful" , but I have to admit - I mostly just buying it.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes