DPS and EHP Spreadsheet

Quote from maka

Hey, Loroese, I use OpenOffice. I know I shouldn't lose anything when converting from .xlsx to .xls (or .ods), but I'll ask anyway (because OpenOffice reads .xlsx files but doesn't save, you have to use a different format). So, is it safe to save it as .xls or .ods?

It should be, but honestly I have no idea. If you have any problems with it let me know and I can always try saving it as a different file.

On an unrelated note, I just tested bonus vs elite items to confirm that the dim returns is right, and sadly, it is. With a SoJ I did 1.3x the damage done to normal mobs. When I added a 3% elite SC I was doing 32.1% more damage to elites compared to normal mobs.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    ^^Thanks!
    Hi Loroese, first of all thanks a lot for creating this really usefull tool, I've been using your spreadsheet since my first steps in diablo 3 and it's soo usefull. Yesterday I was making some comparison to change my Ehp and i noticed that the one calculated with your spreadsheet it's different from the one lsited on Diabloprogress. If I am correct the difference is due to the fact that they use also dodge chache in the calculation. Am I right or I am missing something? What do you think is the most ralistic ehp?

p.s. sorry for my english
    The difference is a combination of the dodge and that dprogress uses average resist and mine just tracks all resist. Personally I don't like using dodge in EHP because I think of EHP as how much damage you can take before you die. Adding 20% dodge doesn't suddenly let you take 20% more damage before you die, so it's misleading to include it in EHP calcs, imo.
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Quote from Loroese

The difference is a combination of the dodge and that dprogress uses average resist and mine just tracks all resist. Personally I don't like using dodge in EHP because I think of EHP as how much damage you can take before you die. Adding 20% dodge doesn't suddenly let you take 20% more damage before you die, so it's misleading to include it in EHP calcs, imo.

it make sense and I totally agree. Thanks!!!
    Minor update:

Added Ele Dmg% to the relative dps gains on Equipped Items and Full Gear Comparison tabs.

I thought I added that before, but it might have been an un-published version. Otherwise if it used to be in the spreadsheet it got removed during one of my recent updates. Either way it's there now, for whoever actually uses it (besides me).
    I have updated my spreadsheet for the new patch. When ROS goes live I'll likely change the damage reduction things to be based on lvl 70 play. Note that EHP is not the same as toughness, and currently I have no plans to be able to replicate the toughness stat you see in game since it is based on far too many stats to be of much use, imo. EHP is still the same it was before though.

The main highlights of the changes are as follows:
    • Added rows for skill damage % such as +x% to disintegrate
    • Changed name of two rows to distinguish between affixes from Legacy items like Triumvirate and the new +elemental damage affixes like on Moonlight Ward.
    • Added Unbuffed DPS and Effective Char Sheet DPS talleys to show what your overall effective char sheet dps is when skill and elemental damage bonuses are taken into account
    • Removed Single Item comparison tab and simple tab since I basically just use the Full Gear Comparison sheet anyway.
    • Removed IAS breakpoint table since WW no longer uses IAS breakpoints for WW tics.
    • Added a table with paragon points where you can put how many points are spent in each slot. Additional columns are present to display the relative DPS and EHP gain per point spent.
    Last edited by Loroese: 3/15/2014 4:32:59 PM
    Hi, cant get the link to Spreadsheet to open?
    Link in the OP doesn't lead anywhere.
    Pietrak#2537 - changed my battle.tag just for you ;P
    Link updated. I swear it worked yesterday when I updated it. If anyone has any issues accessing it, let me know.
    Quote from Loroese

Note that EHP is not the same as toughness, and currently I have no plans to be able to replicate the toughness stat you see in game since it is based on far too many stats to be of much use, imo.

I've seen you post this twice, so I have to ask: What are these "too many stats" it's based on that make it of not much use? As far as I understood, toughness is essentially EHP but with dodge included - and since we're usually at 77 dex, the amount of dodge is negligible for wizards, imho. So I personally think toughness is almost just as good as EHP if you want a quick comparison and don't want to update the spreadsheet. Especially when it comes to *comparing* the toughness of items, the dodge value doesn't change unless it has dex, so the change in toughness should reflect the change in EHP.

Can you elaborate on what other things are included in toughness that make it less worthwhile to consider than EHP?
    Quote from Bagstone
    Quote from Loroese

Note that EHP is not the same as toughness, and currently I have no plans to be able to replicate the toughness stat you see in game since it is based on far too many stats to be of much use, imo.

I've seen you post this twice, so I have to ask: What are these "too many stats" it's based on that make it of not much use? As far as I understood, toughness is essentially EHP but with dodge included - and since we're usually at 77 dex, the amount of dodge is negligible for wizards, imho. So I personally think toughness is almost just as good as EHP if you want a quick comparison and don't want to update the spreadsheet. Especially when it comes to *comparing* the toughness of items, the dodge value doesn't change unless it has dex, so the change in toughness should reflect the change in EHP.

Can you elaborate on what other things are included in toughness that make it less worthwhile to consider than EHP?

Single element resists are also included in toughness.
    Quote from Minon
    Quote from Bagstone
    Quote from Loroese

Single element resists are also included in toughness.

And melee, ranged, missile and elite reduction.

wow nice sheet. I'll go experimenting with it when I get home.

-- thanks

I hope I don't repeat a question that was asked in the past 15 pages:

do you think there's a way to generate a graph, to make the search for the dps sweet spot easier?

Quote from Syldra
    do you think there's a way to generate a graph, to make the search for the dps sweet spot easier?

It depends what you mean but it might be possible if you can give me more details.
    Quote from Loroese »

It depends what you mean but it might be possible if you can give me more details.

well maybe X-axis of crit damage & Y-axis of elemental damage,
    making a graph that shows how much dps you'd have for a range of values.
    To see how the curve grows dependant on those parameters, it could be easier to determine which stat to prioritise first
    similar to crit dmg vs crit hit %, maybe something else too

The only problem with that is that stats are basically linear by themselves with respect to dps but exponential with each other stat. In other words, if you have 100k base dps, 1% elemental damage gives you 1k effective dps. If you have 20% elemental damage and gain 1% more, you still gain 1k dps.

You can see relative dps gains for each point at the bottom of the spreadsheet, which shows the general trends, but if you play with numbers a bit you can see how they change.

That said, I can try playing around with things someday when I get some spare time and see how it looks. I'm always willing to hear ideas or suggestions though.
    Minor update:

Updated formulas to account for AR from sockets
    Hey guys sprry to post this here, but i wanna try D3RoS again after i quit D3 as CMWW, What are the wizard builds today? This is my char= http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Icerus-2968/hero/2871806

Thanks
    nother minor update with athanks to Dadelius for this and the last correction. If anyone else sees any errors, please let me know.

Updated Crit Damage to display the amount including paragon levels.

EDIT: Now uploaded.
    Last edited by Loroese: 3/23/2014 7:51:09 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes