[Guide] Black Ice

I do it with mace + Oculus + Stormcrow and it works fine on MP 3, but my gear isn't great.
    Quote from XSEdef

Hiya! I am currently looking into building a wizard using this build as I am a sucker for non-cookiecutter builds!
    I was wondering whether it'd be possible to run this build with a 1h mace/spear + a triumvirate w/ apoc instead of a Skorn? If you ran with a Storm Crow as well, you could sit at 20 apoc. Would that be enough to keep the channel going at an attack speed between 1.2 and 1.5? Or is it only viable with a Skorn for the lower attack speed and hence AP consumption?
    Further, Ive done a bit of looking into it and I'd be able to hit around 600k ehp (with 91% mitigation) and ~220k dps unbuffed on my budget - how would it hold up on MP10? Trash farm I dare say would be possible, but would it be efficient?
    And would it actually be possible to solo elites and even ubers using it (would obviously change some things around for ubers, i.e. using another RoF rune)?

Hope someone here has tried it out and can help me decide on whether to invest all my gold into this!

I dont know about MP10. I think MP10 becomes alot more vialble after the patch. As for 1 hnd and off hand plus APOC, I think it can work, costs nothing to try and see if you like it. I am trying to exploit cheaper gear, IE stuff without IAS and APoC. High damage, so Blizzard and Black Ice tics are really, really big, Same with Storm Armor, 70% weapon damage to both melee and range attacks, you get life back from all that with life steal. Let me know how you do with 1hnd and Offhand. Personally, I think you should try it on a lower MP before you invest ALL your gold, maybe wait until the patch or try on the PTR first?
    My Skorn gives me 6% LS, so I get 1.2 % on Inferno, thats a lot of health at higher DPS coming from Blizzard, RoF and Storm Armor, its why can tank reflective elites.
    Hello Magus my friend. :)
    I've tried to add you but I guess you're playing on the americas and I'm playing on europe. :(

Anyways one important point I have regarding this build. I've come to the impression, after playing a LOT with my toon, that you can basically choose one of two AP regen sources.
    one is the 4 piece tal rasha's and the passive Astral Presence.
    The other is Power hungry and a large pickup radius and then u just get your health and AP from globes.

I've found that using the later allows for better gear, or at least cheaper gear than the 4 piece tal rasha's. and it works out just fine without astral presence until you get to really high mp (8-10).
    My next goal is to try to get at least one source of APoC and I think that will fix whatever AP issues I might have left.

regarding to the weapon of choice - I've fallen for the skorn. It's black dmg and high life leech and slow attack speed are perfect for this build. just a reminder - here's my character.
    Quote from ohadm

Hello Magus my friend. :)
    I've tried to add you but I guess you're playing on the americas and I'm playing on europe. :(

Anyways one important point I have regarding this build. I've come to the impression, after playing a LOT with my toon, that you can basically choose one of two AP regen sources.
    one is the 4 piece tal rasha's and the passive Astral Presence.
    The other is Power hungry and a large pickup radius and then u just get your health and AP from globes.

I've found that using the later allows for better gear, or at least cheaper gear than the 4 piece tal rasha's. and it works out just fine without astral presence until you get to really high mp (8-10).
    My next goal is to try to get at least one source of APoC and I think that will fix whatever AP issues I might have left.

regarding to the weapon of choice - I've fallen for the skorn. It's black dmg and high life leech and slow attack speed are perfect for this build. just a reminder - here's my character.

I am sure it does. I will update the OP tommorow to include that information. Thanks. I am on the Americas :(
    Hello,

Just registered on the forum to say thank you for this build. I really don't like the Archon and CMWW gameplay and was using a blizzard kitting spec for leveling, but it was not really effective at high MP.
    With your spec and my quite poor gear i'm now able to farm MP5 quite effectively without much trouble. And i'm having fun at it!
    Whats wrong with your gloves OP? Blue gloves with strength and dex????????
    Looks like a miss click while trying to sell blue stuff.
    Quote from Anachron13

Quote from BelgianBlue99

OMFG....That will be the second time I have done that and I am broke atm been trying to craft better gloves......GRRRRRRRRR SHould ebe able to lock your gear...I am really torked off

Went home for lunch...my gloves are gone. Out of demonic essences to make more gloves. 9.5 million to replace leaves me...annoyed.
    Quote from Anachron13

Hello,

Just registered on the forum to say thank you for this build. I really don't like the Archon and CMWW gameplay and was using a blizzard kitting spec for leveling, but it was not really effective at high MP.
    With your spec and my quite poor gear i'm now able to farm MP5 quite effectively without much trouble. And i'm having fun at it!

Awesome!!!
    Quote from Magusrex

Quote from Anachron13

Quote from BelgianBlue99

OMFG....That will be the second time I have done that and I am broke atm been trying to craft better gloves......GRRRRRRRRR SHould ebe able to lock your gear...I am really torked off

Went home for lunch...my gloves are gone. Out of demonic essences to make more gloves. 9.5 million to replace leaves me...annoyed.

get frostburns :)
    Quote from ohadm

Quote from Magusrex

Quote from Anachron13

Quote from BelgianBlue99

I have a decent pair of Frostburns in my bank. I just do not enjoy playing without to the 10% crit chance and 48% crit damage. DPS is problably a wash. Having Crit chance north of 40% is more betta!! At least for me it is :)
    Quote from Magusrex

Quote from ohadm

Quote from Magusrex

Quote from Anachron13

Quote from BelgianBlue99

I have a decent pair of Frostburns in my bank. I just do not enjoy playing without to the 10% crit chance and 48% crit damage. DPS is problably a wash. Having Crit chance north of 40% is more betta!! At least for me it is :)

Ofcourse. I meant meanwhile... :)
    i have been trying this build and i like the playstyle, but i seem to die really fast. sometimes melee attacks 1 shot me on mp2. reflect damage elites i have to kite alot and hope for health orbs. Any help with what i should change would be really welcome.

here is my profile eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Clincher-2967/hero/6447150
    Quote from Drevil23500

i have been trying this build and i like the playstyle, but i seem to die really fast. sometimes melee attacks 1 shot me on mp2. reflect damage elites i have to kite alot and hope for health orbs. Any help with what i should change would be really welcome.

here is my profile eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Clincher-2967/hero/6447150

Your DPS looks a little low, but I think you should be able to handle MP2 just fine. That tal rasha's amulet could really use + cold damage and crit chance. I would stay on act 3 until the mob density patch. This build is called Black Ice, but maybe it should be named Snowbound. I often drag reflective to more mobs, so I can have multiple blizzards giving me life. Your other gear is looking nice, just keep upgrading, build plays better @ 150k DPS. Its is just DPS and play, keept working with it. I like force weapon over blood magic, more DPS is more life return. A little more defenses a little more DPS. You are really close to that point where it will get easy. Tal Rasha ammy with crit chance 7% & 5-6 cold would porbably put you to MP3-4.
    thanks for the fast reply, will keep saving up money then to get a tals ammy with cold damage and crit chance (atm only 400k bugdet left after crafting new shoulders). The tip to drag reflect to mode mobs is something i sure will try.
    Also will try force weapon instead of blood magic then. I switched to act 2 today for a change of farm spot.
    Hello,

I'm not sure that swaping holy damage to cold damage will do any good to you, as the +% damage is added to the weapon damage, not to your ability. The damage type will not change anything to the damage of your spells as they are based on the total damage of your weapon including all elemental damage regardless of the type of the damage.

(not sure this is good english, sorry for that)
    Quote from Anachron13

Hello,

I'm not sure that swaping holy damage to cold damage will do any good to you, as the +% damage is added to the weapon damage, not to your ability. The damage type will not change anything to the damage of your spells as they are based on the total damage of your weapon including all elemental damage regardless of the type of the damage.

(not sure this is good english, sorry for that)

This.
    also: you could up your gear easily. Why the 3 tal rasha's? that doesn't make any sense to me. either you get the 4 piece bonus to cold skills & mana regeneration or u can switch to better items that will give u more int.
    personally I like to roll with 24% movement speed so I always have inna's pants or lacuni's on, but that's not mandatory I guess.
    Magus was right - you need more CC. if you're not going to go with the 4 piece tal's then I suggest u craft an amulet. they can get pretty awesome. check out my char for example. I gave up the tal's bonus and use crafted shoulders, bracers and amulet. I can run mp5-6 easily.
    I swapped my Storm Crow for Tals helm, because it gave me more damage. Other items that i have are alot worse (not having luck with drops), i have been crafting for amulets, but none of the 15 orso that i made had CC on it and low intel, so the tals ammy was beating that as well. I would love 24% movement speed, but not have that much money to get decent inna's and switching to lacunis i would lose alot of damage as well, so i went with 12% for now. Thanks for the replies tho, will keep crafting and playing on lower MPs for now.
    Quote from maka

I do it with mace + Oculus + Stormcrow and it works fine on MP 3, but my gear isn't great.

Following Maka's inspiration, I've got some cheap Tal Rasha's with 10 APoC + 10 APoC on stormcrow, mixed some Life Steal Wand + Magic Weapon (blood magic), put all together with guide-chun-lis-starfighter-death-blossom-build and changed Black Ice to my favorite spell: Disintegrate / Volatility and voilá: It worked like a charm to me.

But the point is: With 20 APoC and 46% Critical Chance, it's very possible to sustain the Black Ice build with an Off Hand and a Wand. I've never ran out of Arcane Power on MP5 runs with my current gear.
    Quote from maka

18 APoC and didnt worked for me , sadface ... does rubberbanding prevent u from procing APoC ? i dont see any AP spikes
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes