WW/Tornado Barb Gear Advice Needed (A3 Inferno+)

Gear has been updated 8/7
    Stats are with Warcry & Enchantress Buffed
    I have approximately 4 million to spend, all advice welcome!

Hey guys, first off I want to thank everyone of their constant great posts. Because of you all I am now in Act 3 Inferno, however I find myself dying more than I like.

Anyways, what gear should I look to be upgrading first for the biggest bang for my buck? I don't know if I'm struggling due to lack of damage, or lack of defensive stats at this point. Any advice / criticism is welcome!

BUILD (Sprint & Whirlwind)

Whirlwind (Hurricane)

Sprint (Run like the Wind)

Wrath of the Berserker (Thrive on Chaos)

Overpower (Crushing Advance)

Battle Rage (Into the Fray)

War Cry (Impunity)

-Nerves of Steel

-Weapons Master

-Ruthless

488 STR O_O ?

Try and get ATLEAST around 1500 str and around 1000-1200 vit.

DPS is VERY low, get a better MH, an axe or mace and upgrade that offhand to a atleast 550 DPS weapon.

Office Bane (the one ring) should be an very easy and cheap upgrade aswell, get one with IAS and crit dmg or crit% nad crit dmg, but seeing you got nearly 50% crit already you could probably skip it on the one ring, and i found that IAS/crit dmg rings are very very very cheap atm.
    What sortve main hand should I look for.. even if I dropped all 4 mil on am upgrade best axe/mace I've seen with comparible loh and crit dmg is only a 100 dps increase

Stats w/ War Cry Up:
    Armor = 6048
    Phys Res = 734
    Cold Res = 885
    Fire Res = 708
    Light Res = 669
    Arcane/Holy Res = 669

For the Off-Hand Weap, been looking.. how would this sorta weap stack up for ~800k

356 DPS
    1.40 Atk Spd Sword
    170 Str
    920 LOH
    60% Crit Damage
    ?
    Just updated my current gear, still have about 3.5 mil to upgrade with. Please give advice accordingly, thanks a ton!
    You definitely need a lot more Strength. Your Resistance is good enough for Act 3, but your DPS just sucks.
    I have a 580DPS Mainhand and a 520 DPS Offhand, but 1700 Str (so 900+ more than you) and run with 26k DPS, and therefore have 1,2k more Armor than you (with Enchantress resp.)
    So go get Strength on every item. Try to get a Bul Kathos Ring with at least 85+ Str and a socket, they are cheap usually (bought mine for 150k with 88str, 28vit and socket) and very good. Upgrade your Chest to one with Str, Vit, All Res and 3 Sockets and possibly +Armor, this will net you a good Boost for ~1mill. Your Mainhand is fine for now, just get a better Offhand with around 500DPS, LoH Crit Damage and Str on it. And again, get Str on every item, your a DPS Barb, no Tank Barb ;)
    With my Stats I clear from Skycrown to Keep Depths with 3-5 Deaths in under 30mins and I invested 700k gold so far.. You can do it too when you double your Strength.
    First lets see what stats you have are good for farming act 3.

The key point at this built is crit, since you generate fury from Battle Rage (Into the Fray). Your crit is at 42.5 without Battle Rage which is good.

You have 1442 LoH again a stat that is very important on that spec and the amount your have is really good.

Your resistances are 740-950 and its OK imo.

You have 44K hp again a very solid number.

Now whats the problem on your gear. To have all the stats above at a very viable lvl for act 3 you have sacrificed everything else. Your damage is very very low and thats your main and biggest problem.

But since I see that your budget is really low I ll try to be honest with you and plz dont get me wrong.

Lately I read alot of "help me with ww barb" posts, since you all see youtube videos of ppl using this spec and farm fast etc.

This build is very gear depended so you really need to spend alot of gold to get the stats you need to play it properly.

Dont expect to clear act3, act4 and farm like your see on videos without spending millions of gold.

If you want an OP class that you can farm with very low budget try a monk.

To get an idea of what you need here is my gear/stats (and i m only an average geared ww barb).

Gear: http://postimage.org/image/ixps13ur1/
    Stats (WC+Battle Rage): http://postimage.org/image/on60lf0x9/
    Quote from Laserbabz

488 STR O_O ?

Try and get ATLEAST around 1500 str and around 1000-1200 vit.

DPS is VERY low, get a better MH, an axe or mace and upgrade that offhand to a atleast 550 DPS weapon.

Office Bane (the one ring) should be an very easy and cheap upgrade aswell, get one with IAS and crit dmg or crit% nad crit dmg, but seeing you got nearly 50% crit already you could probably skip it on the one ring, and i found that IAS/crit dmg rings are very very very cheap atm.

Quote from Grimfist

You definitely need a lot more Strength. Your Resistance is good enough for Act 3, but your DPS just sucks.
    I have a 580DPS Mainhand and a 520 DPS Offhand, but 1700 Str (so 900+ more than you) and run with 26k DPS, and therefore have 1,2k more Armor than you (with Enchantress resp.)
    So go get Strength on every item. Try to get a Bul Kathos Ring with at least 85+ Str and a socket, they are cheap usually (bought mine for 150k with 88str, 28vit and socket) and very good. Upgrade your Chest to one with Str, Vit, All Res and 3 Sockets and possibly +Armor, this will net you a good Boost for ~1mill. Your Mainhand is fine for now, just get a better Offhand with around 500DPS, LoH Crit Damage and Str on it. And again, get Str on every item, your a DPS Barb, no Tank Barb ;)
    With my Stats I clear from Skycrown to Keep Depths with 3-5 Deaths in under 30mins and I invested 700k gold so far.. You can do it too when you double your Strength.

You don't need 1500-2000 str to farm act3 as a tornado barb. I have 1k str, 41k dps and lots of defensive stats with some LoH. Been running fast act3 farm runs for weeks now without any problems.
    Honestly, you don't need as high stats as most people tell you to. Sure having more helps alot but you'll do just fine with less if you manage your fury well, which you should with that Crit %. This build is made to kite alot away and around mobs so just use your tornadoes to heal you up. I managed full act 3 farms just fine with 40k hp 500 res all (WITHOUT warcry) and 1k LoH while sitting at 20-22k dps before battle rage. Only rare packs that caused a problem were just the shielding ones to be fair, and again, you can just kite them into normal mobs, get your fury up a bit, go back in tornado the champ pack, and repeat. All comes with experience, knowing when you can go in and when you risk dying. Best you can probably do right now is invest in a really really good main hand as in, 900+ dps one with Crit dmg, a 70 crit dmg socket or higher and possibly even strength on it. This should boost your dps by at least 5k. Unlike people show in videos you really can't 360 24/7 around mobs the entire clear. Practice knowing your limits and as you progressively get better gear you'll be able to faceroll any champ affixes without having to worry to die
    You're right in saying that you don't need that much Str, if youn have the other stats to overgear a certain act. But the High-Str Route is very much cheaper then your suggestion bying a 900+ DPS Weapon.
    I don't know in which AH you buy, but in the EU AH, 700+ DPS Maces/Axes became insanely expensive the last weeks, but Gear with high Str-Rolls is most of times very cheap to get. So getting 500+ more Str with the same Weapon nets in the same DPS-Increase but for very little gold invested. That's my experience gearing my Barb the last month. As I said, my Mainhand Axe has only 580 DPS, but with 1700 Str I get 25k DPS, and I only invested 700k Gold for this. I'm since then saving gold for the ultra insane 900+ DPS Weaopon, which will scale very good with my 1700 Str, but with your suggestion of getting a High-DPS Weapon with over 70% Crit Damage, you pay Millions in EU AH just on this one piece, which is just dumb.
    Getting 10 good pieces for 700k to get 5k+ DPS vs. 1 Pieces with 900 DPS for Millions of Gold! What would you do?
    You can get a close to 1k dps weapon with a socket and strength on it if you're lucky for 8-10mil. If you want to upgrade your strength, I wouldn't buy any other items than shoulders to be fair if you're really looking for that stat. As for that weapon, you'll be using it for a longer time than any other piece most likely, so price quality wise, I'd take that.
    Gear updated 8/7 along with stats!

Guys thanks so much for the help so far. I just updated, please give me up to date feedback if possible!
    get more str... 1200minimum.
    play safe, the rest of the stats are good to play through a3 ;)

and a pro tip:D keep battle rage always on :D i died so often when i ww through mobs and rage is empty... then u stand between 50mobs and ure thinking: UPS :D and down^^....
    ingame contact: realhoffi#2304
    Quote from realhoffi

get more str... 1200minimum.
    play safe, the rest of the stats are good to play through a3 ;)

and a pro tip:D keep battle rage always on :D i died so often when i ww through mobs and rage is empty... then u stand between 50mobs and ure thinking: UPS :D and down^^....

What pieces of gear should I really be focusing on to upgrade Str? I have approx. 5 mil gold atm.

Yeah I am pretty consistent at keeping battle rage up once I get going.
    Hi Swagger,

I actually did the same thing a few days ago. If you just want to clear A3 & A4 Inferno and just skip most of the elite packs you are pretty much good to go. With double/tornado you can just skip through all the mobs. Your stats look pretty fine for that. I guess you can even drop some HP for some DPS or more important Resistance. Maybe look for new gloves and rings. If you just want to survive it is very possible with 17k DPS. 40% CritHit is enough for just keeping your range up all the time - will be harder on the bosses though.

On the gloves you can maybe drop 2% crit and get more AllRes and Fire/Phys Resis for that. These should not be that expensive due to the low crit hit. The first ring looks pretty shitty to me for just clearing A3/A4. Go for some AllRes, CritHit/CritDMG, Vit/Str. Also - to boost your dmg even more - make yourself two 70% critdmg gems for your weapon or even buy them from AH. Not that expensive and you can also reuse them later.

For me it was easier to play with Bash than Overpower, but this is totally up to you. I surely died once or twice in bad situation, but since you can skip so much trash mobs and also very bad elite packs, you can easily but the game from that point. Just try to get this Phys/Fire Res up to 1k and that's fine from there. Even think about dropping some Vit on your chest for some Str, because this surely also gives you some Armor.

You can do it! :) Have fun.
    Quote from Schnech

Hi Swagger,

I actually did the same thing a few days ago. If you just want to clear A3 & A4 Inferno and just skip most of the elite packs you are pretty much good to go. With double/tornado you can just skip through all the mobs. Your stats look pretty fine for that. I guess you can even drop some HP for some DPS or more important Resistance. Maybe look for new gloves and rings. If you just want to survive it is very possible with 17k DPS. 40% CritHit is enough for just keeping your range up all the time - will be harder on the bosses though.

On the gloves you can maybe drop 2% crit and get more AllRes and Fire/Phys Resis for that. These should not be that expensive due to the low crit hit. The first ring looks pretty shitty to me for just clearing A3/A4. Go for some AllRes, CritHit/CritDMG, Vit/Str. Also - to boost your dmg even more - make yourself two 70% critdmg gems for your weapon or even buy them from AH. Not that expensive and you can also reuse them later.

For me it was easier to play with Bash than Overpower, but this is totally up to you. I surely died once or twice in bad situation, but since you can skip so much trash mobs and also very bad elite packs, you can easily but the game from that point. Just try to get this Phys/Fire Res up to 1k and that's fine from there. Even think about dropping some Vit on your chest for some Str, because this surely also gives you some Armor.

You can do it! :) Have fun.

Thanks for the input - I will have to try that just to clear A3 & A4... but I am definitely interested in farming A3 (at least earlier parts) and have no idea how far off I am from being able to do that.
    I would say that you are pretty far off at the moment to make it even close to be worth it. I would go for A1 full farm runs instead in this case. Less repair costs, faster kills, more rares per hour. Sure you will have less ilvl 63 items per run, but per hour you will definitely have more. I know A1 is boring, but it is necessary to be profitable. when you have to repair your whole set once per run you eventually lose around 40K gold per run. If you don't have an item above that to sell after every run, you will pay gold in the long run. That's why it is better to do A1 until you can do A3 safely and comfortably. You will definitely need over 35k+ DPS with the same survivability for doing this. Until then, stick with A1.

Are you playing EU or US?
    Quote from Schnech

I would say that you are pretty far off at the moment to make it even close to be worth it. I would go for A1 full farm runs instead in this case. Less repair costs, faster kills, more rares per hour. Sure you will have less ilvl 63 items per run, but per hour you will definitely have more. I know A1 is boring, but it is necessary to be profitable. when you have to repair your whole set once per run you eventually lose around 40K gold per run. If you don't have an item above that to sell after every run, you will pay gold in the long run. That's why it is better to do A1 until you can do A3 safely and comfortably. You will definitely need over 35k+ DPS with the same survivability for doing this. Until then, stick with A1.

Are you playing EU or US?

Im confused.. why not a2
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes