DiabloCast: Episode XX - Give Me Options or Give Me DEATH!

Poll: Which variation of the AH will you prefer to use?

Which variation of the AH will you prefer to use? - Single Choice

• Won't use the AH at all 4%
  • Will use both 65.3%
  • Gold-based AH 25.5%
  • Real Money AH 5.2%
    Definitely both. Mostly the Gold Auction House, but I'll definitely use all of my weekly free listings for the Real Money AH too. If I manage to add some e-balance to my account, I may continue trying to increase it.

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    I'm intending to use only gold, and voted for it.

But thinking again, I wouldn't mind selling items for e-balance to build it up and also use it as currency. What I WON'T do no matter what are spending or earning real money with the game.

But I will only do that if the economy favors it, my initial intention is to only use gold.
    Quote from Akuma Seijin

I probably won't really buy things from the RMAH....But I will definitely sell my ass off.

Here's what you do.

1) Sell a bunch of stuff on the RMAH. Rack up a huge balance (don't cash out) so you can buy and sell as you please
    2) Buy a second copy of the game.
    3) Turn your second copy into a cash-out mule.
    4) When you're ready to cash out some of your e-balance, have your cash-out mule post some vendor trash gray item on the RMAH (for free since you get free listings) for the amount you wish to cash out. Don't forget to take fees into account.
    5) Buy said item with your main.
    6) Have the mule cash out the e-balance they just earned, straight into your checking account.
    7) Profit!

Sure, it requires a second copy of the game - probably $50-60, but that's a one-time cost, and if you've got a couple of grand in e-balance, what difference does it really make?
    Ill probably be using mostly the gold one. Even if I had a high end legendary. How much could that possibly sell for, $20? I would rather take the gold seeing as I make that money in 2 hours at work and I probably invested more time than 2 hours to get that item.
    Quote from kjolnir

Quote from Akuma Seijin

I probably won't really buy things from the RMAH....But I will definitely sell my ass off.

Sure, it requires a second copy of the game - probably $50-60, but that's a one-time cost, and if you've got a couple of grand in e-balance, what difference does it really make?

I doubt you will make a couple of grand playing this game. Probably some light weekend money at best.
    I will sell for money but not buy because it's much more fun to find the gear self. :D

Edit: At least I will try to sell for ream money some times but mostly I will sell for gold.
    As always your podcast is appreciated but it seems that you guys forget the most important thing, your gameplay experience. I know you guys said something but it's too general and not much specific on it. It's too much topic oriented. Give us some deep preview of your experience. With all the bashing, rages etc. give us something new to hear. Because some of us actually cares about how the game plays ;)
    I love all loot fest kind of game! I will be playing all of them for the next few years. Loot fest games I'm looking forward to: LotR: War in the North, Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2 and of course Diablo 3.
    I'll definately try out the RMAH with the free listings hell if I make enough I might just buy too but I will also be using the gold AH more often.
    it all depends how it turns out to be. i'm not to eager to be using the auction house.
    The only reason they implemented this system is to get rid of goldspammers and 3rd party sites.

My personal opinion is that the whole aspect of this game is finding gear, thus improving your character and trading gear for gear. If someone's goal is to get a certain item that is very rare, you search for it or try and trade your way towards that item. And not like ow i like that item, lets buy it...
    For me that completly ruines the aspect of the game itself.

I hope when it finally releases, my above statements and opinions will be deemed worthless.
    Quote from CrusaderGT

As always your podcast is appreciated but it seems that you guys forget the most important thing, your gameplay experience. I know you guys said something but it's too general and not much specific on it. It's too much topic oriented. Give us some deep preview of your experience. With all the bashing, rages etc. give us something new to hear. Because some of us actually cares about how the game plays ;)

From everything they have said, there is little that is different in terms of gameplay from the Blizzcon 2010 build. There really isn't much for them to tell about other than what has changed, which is what they are focusing on.
    Quote from sepulveda

Quote from kjolnir

Quote from Akuma Seijin

I doubt you will make a couple of grand playing this game. Probably some light weekend money at best.

Ha!

There's a guy on the Blizz forum that used $3k he got selling items from D2 at 13 to buy his first car at 16.

I think "light weekend money" is probably a lowball.
    Quote from kjolnir

Quote from sepulveda

Quote from kjolnir

Quote from Akuma Seijin

Ha!

There's a guy on the Blizz forum that used $3k he got selling items from D2 at 13 to buy his first car at 16.

The large difference is now anyone can sell their items for money. Not only the people that have setup sites to do so. While it's possible some people will make a very large amount of money, it's not going to be effortless and there is really no way to tell as of yet.

Yes, if you devote 8+ hours a day to gaming a market, you can make money no matter what market you are in.
    Quote from ZombieMuse

Quote from CrusaderGT

From everything they have said, there is little that is different in terms of gameplay from the Blizzcon 2010 build. There really isn't much for them to tell about other than what has changed, which is what they are focusing on.

Sixen said he played the monk more this time around and he liked it. Why did he like it more? What feels different this time around? These are the question that pops in my mind. What you just told me is another generalization. I haven't played the game or seen the game in person, only in videos so I always asks people as much as possible their experience. Oh well, I guess I'll just hope I get into beta and I'll just share my own experience when that happens.
    I love all loot fest kind of game! I will be playing all of them for the next few years. Loot fest games I'm looking forward to: LotR: War in the North, Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2 and of course Diablo 3.
    I hope to pay off the Collector's Edition eventually using my mad AH skillz.

BTW, I can't find any pics online, but I remember the Grandfather use to go on Ebay for like $1400. Can anyone confirm this with evidence because I'm having a hard time finding facts to back it up.
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    Not a fan of the newly proposed rune system.
    Quote from ikarys

Not a fan of the newly proposed rune system.

yeah, the "not knowing what your rune is until you've already wasted it" is crap.
    Quote from ZombieMuse

Quote from kjolnir

Quote from sepulveda

Quote from kjolnir

Quote from Akuma Seijin

Ha!

The large difference is now anyone can sell their items for money. Not only the people that have setup sites to do so. While it's possible some people will make a very large amount of money, it's not going to be effortless and there is really no way to tell as of yet.

Yes, if you devote 8+ hours a day to gaming a market, you can make money no matter what market you are in.

Agreed. Not to mention buying low in the gold AH and selling high in the RMAH. The evil American Corporatocracy has def taught me something.
    Quote from CherubDown

I hope to pay off the Collector's Edition eventually using my mad AH skillz.

BTW, I can't find any pics online, but I remember the Grandfather use to go on Ebay for like $1400. Can anyone confirm this with evidence because I'm having a hard time finding facts to back it up.

I'm not sure of exact item values, but I am certain that some items sold for very large amounts early on in their lives in Diablo 2. Things like the ballista also sold for large amounts when they first came out. Sort of funny and also sad that later on, you basically couldn't even give them away to people.
    third party sites will be running tournies and ladders for pvp i'm sure. i like the randomness of the proposed rune system. yea, people are complaining about not getting the rune they want but i don't think you should always get what you want anyways. i think always having to strive for the best is a good thing. it shouldn't be easy to have everything you want.
    A lot of people think they are going to make tons of money buying low on the Gold AH and selling high on the RMAH but this is deeply flawed. Although in theory you might be able to do this and make a little money. It will only be very small and almost not worth the time because RMAH items will be worth more in an exchange rate then Gold items. Since you have thousands of people trying to do the same it keeps the system in check. I also think bidding may become a bigger part of this AH then it was in WoW for example.

But the main reason you will have an extremely hard time arbitraging items from the GoldAH to the RMAH is that RM has an intrinsic value which actually will keep it higher then gold. For example:

US 1$ = level 7 rune
    level 7 rune in gold = (1$ x exchange rate) + intrinsic value of money

The intrinsic value is essentially the fact that real money is worth more then artificial currency (gold) I cannot buy an expansion pack, subscription or map (sc2 expansion) with gold. This will always make money cost more in gold then RM. I can go into more detail and really throw some more complicated inflationary and appreciation elements into it but long story short RM > Gold. The good news you can get real money without paying for it so +1 to that.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes