I Spy With My Little Eye...

Bashiok gave us an interesting tweet of new information about checking out items in Diablo III. Nothing that will completely revise our image of the upcoming monster-slaying fest, but something definitely worth knowing.

The tweet was in reply to our member Doomscream, in which Bashiok strongly suggested the existence of both an inspection feature and an armory:

Official Blizzard Quote:

Doomscream: @Diablo Will there be an inspect feature in D3, both in-game and an armory-like page?

Diablo: @doomscream Extremely likely if not completely assured for both.

What the inspector might see.
    Click for full size.
    From the fact that Bashiok didn't say that they both are implemented, I'd say that his wording could be interpreted to strongly suggest that both are either upcoming or planned features in the development pipeline. Even while the start of the beta might be around the corner, there's still plenty enough time to develop secondary functions like these. We'll probably see them in a patch by latest if not the initial launch of the game.

There was a discussion on our forums regarding the possibility of an inspect feature and an armory site. Opinions were presented for and against whether there should be such a feature. While certainly not the only game to have these, players of World of Warcraft are familiar with both gimmicks. This tweet will surely end the speculation, although I'm pretty sure most fans were expecting these two concepts to be in Diablo III.

For those that are not familiar, the inspect functionality is simply a way to see what other people are wearing in-game. Many Diablo II players are familiar with non-allowed third-party programs that, besides other more frowned-upon things, allowed to see other players' gear: they will be not necessary any more. The armory serves a similar purpose out of the game: it's basically a dedicated site to spy what other people are wearing. You can spy the Warcraft one here.

As someone who is totally obsessed about the itemization side of the Diablo franchise, I personally welcome these features with open arms. It'll be interesting to see what items others have chosen.

Are you happy that you will be able to see what friends and foes are wearing? Do you think it's beneficial or would you rather not tell everyone what you are wearing?
    Reporting for duty!
    Too bad I missed Bashiok, I added some follow-up questions on the topic, hopefully he will answer those as well.
    Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    I think it should be optional, because then high ranked players won't look down and complain against people with lower tiers of gear .. It's a nice feature in many cases, but I personally liked the anonymity of characters in Diablo II
    It was expected but it's always good to get confirmation. Next question: will they have a toggle for allowing others to inspect all the time?
    I think its the way for this game. No inspection would mean silly game. You always want to learn from others, and armory is a nice way to point your proudness out of the game with your friends.
    Quote from kasperja

I think it should be optional, because then high ranked players won't look down and complain against people with lower tiers of gear .. It's a nice feature in many cases, but I personally liked the anonymity of characters in Diablo II

I had a similar thought. There should be an option to toggle receiving and querying on and off in the settings.
    Not sure how effective implementing this will be. By the time you hit a high level...you probably won't be doing non-private games. Therefore you won't be able to be inspected and therefore nobody will know your name to look you up on armory. It's not like WoW where you're sitting in Ironforge and see someone with a piece of gear you want to check out. The only thing that could be effective would be if the setup before you enter a game is a chat room (like in D2) and you see the list of people below and you can inspect from there. Any thoughts?

[color-white]So many skeletons.....[/color]
    As long as my setup is not automatically uploaded to a site or I can disable the feature I'm fine with it, just don't force me to reveal my setup. A toggle might be the best solution.
    "You claim to have spoken with Lachdanan? He was a great hero during his life. Lachdanan was an honorable and just man who served his King faithfully for years. But of course, you already know that. Of those who were caught within the grasp of the King's curse, Lachdanan would be the least likely to submit to the Darkness without a fight, so I suppose that your story could be true. If I were in your place, my friend, I'd find a way to release him from his torture." - Deckard Cain
    Quote from McLachdanan

As long as my setup is not automatically uploaded to a site or I can disable the feature I'm fine with it, just don't force me to reveal my setup. A toggle might be the best solution.

Unfortunately the way it works in WoW -- the only reference point we have right now -- is that your setup is automatically loaded there.
    Quote from Magistrate

Quote from kasperja

I had a similar thought. There should be an option to toggle receiving and querying on and off in the settings.

Personaly, I would restrict the Armory to my friends only. Inspection open for anyone ingame.
    But I have so many friends who will play diablo 3, the restriction of 4 per game will be a problem.

Dif you know typing english om à iPhone det for swedish is à pain?
    Did you know typing english on an iPhone set for swedish is a pain? We don't even use à! Why!?!?
    To Game is Necessary
    Quote from Magistrate

Quote from kasperja

Well... if you make it toggleable, there can be issues. People will think you have crappy gear if you're set to "non-queryable". What other reason do you have to set it to non-queryable?

--
    My question is, how do you activate the inspect? Do you right click a player portrait? In that case, do you have character portraits in the top left corner of the screen for each player in the game, in the party? Or will there be a player/character screen like this?:
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    Quote from kasperja

Well in D2 with the little armor tiers you had you could either be wearing an enigma or a crappy level 1 chest no one would know. Now that D3 has 18 item tiers you can pretty much gage what kind of gear the person has just by looking at them without inspecting them. The anonymity will be pretty much gone.

Besides what's wrong about other people seeing your gear? Do people really get self-coscious about in-game characters?
    As long as there is a toggle option to prevent other people from lookin Im fine with it. Otherwise Im pissed off and I will dequip my armor on purpose so that Im naked at all times of inactivity.
    Blizzard used to care about releasing Diablo III, then they all took an arrow in the knee...
    Quote from oodie10

Quote from kasperja

Well in D2 with the little armor tiers you had you could either be wearing an enigma or a crappy level 1 chest no one would know. Now that D3 has 18 item tiers you can pretty much gage what kind of gear the person has just by looking at them without inspecting them. The anonymity will be pretty much gone.

Besides what's wrong about other people seeing your gear? Do people really get self-coscious about in-game characters?

dyes can alter that though

[color-white]So many skeletons.....[/color]
    Quote from oodie10

Well let's assume that there are certain item setups that work extremely well, though they are not that obvious, there can be setups for crits, health etc.
    After figuring out the best one for certain cases or just your liking ppl can inspect you and just clone your setup (or at least try to) and suddenly your unique setup isn't unique anymore because everyone is using it.
    This might be even worse for PVP as you spend much time to figure out the best setup for PVP and soon everyone will be using it if they see you being extraordinary successful.
    "You claim to have spoken with Lachdanan? He was a great hero during his life. Lachdanan was an honorable and just man who served his King faithfully for years. But of course, you already know that. Of those who were caught within the grasp of the King's curse, Lachdanan would be the least likely to submit to the Darkness without a fight, so I suppose that your story could be true. If I were in your place, my friend, I'd find a way to release him from his torture." - Deckard Cain
    Quote from McLachdanan

Quote from oodie10

Well let's assume that there are certain item setups that work extremely well, though they are not that obvious, there can be setups for crits, health etc.
    After figuring out the best one for certain cases or just your liking ppl can inspect you and just clone your setup (or at least try to) and suddenly your unique setup isn't unique anymore because everyone is using it.
    This might be even worse for PVP as you spend much time to figure out the best setup for PVP and soon everyone will be using it if they see you being extraordinary successful.

Once a database is up and running of all gear, gems and such theorycrafting is open to use everyone who is good at doing so and will arrive to some similar conclusions on what are the best gear, gem, skill, trait choices for builds. I get being proud of a self-discovered set up that works but there are going to be so many variants that laying claim to one is just kind of a needless, self-imposed sense of ownership.
    Quote from McLachdanan

Quote from oodie10

Yeah I didn't think of it that way. Thats a good point. However i think the whole unique setup is mainly in your skill tree, which shouldnt be inspectable in my opinion, not your gear set up. Also, someone cant just clone your setup so easily because you just cant get awesome items in the blink of an eye in diablo. You have to work for it and every drop is random which makes it very difficult for someone to find the same thing you're wearing.
    Quote from McLachdanan

Quote from oodie10

Agree, and also I don't like the idea of a system identical to WoW for D3. Often it is hard to party up with just a little difference in gear, because people have a certain opinion about which gear to use. It makes sense in WoW because you are very dependent on your team mates, and where there are specific gear for each build. But in a game like D3 there are so many builds to explore, and I'm just a bit worried about that people might be judging characters based on gear, before seeing what the character can do or how the specific build and items work together (or how well you play the character).
    Quote from youwillneverknow

As long as there is a toggle option to prevent other people from lookin Im fine with it. Otherwise Im pissed off and I will dequip my armor on purpose so that Im naked at all times of inactivity.

Well, I guess that's one option :lol:

I think it's a cool idea - definitely way better than putting all of your gear in the trade window to show people (don't accidentally press okay, don't accidentally press okay...), which was too slow. I also like the thought of being able to check out high-ranked ladder players to see how awesome their gear is.
    Quote from Uldyssian

Once a database is up and running of all gear, gems and such theorycrafting is open to use everyone who is good at doing so and will arrive to some similar conclusions on what are the best gear, gem, skill, trait choices for builds. I get being proud of a self-discovered set up that works but there are going to be so many variants that laying claim to one is just kind of a needless, self-imposed sense of ownership.

I don't think so. Someone i know have spent very very long time perfecting his build in D2 with every single item and every single stat. I have never seen such a perfect build before, not even in all the guides on the internet. I think it would be a shame if people just could log on, look up the character, and more or less copy it without him allowing them to. I think as far as possible, it should be up to the indivdual player to figure out such builds.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes