Two Stashes, No Jewels, New Shrines and the Enigmatic Sentry

As usual, along the week we have been graced with little teaser-length tweets that have told us little insignificant glimpses of the development of Diablo III. Nothing to really warrant for their own news posts, though. This is a collection of such interesting glimpses with the necessary background provided to fit the tweets into the correct context. I purposefully omitted those containing little to none new information, but you can see them in our tracker.

The first tweets were posted already last week, where they continued to tell us details of the shared stash they told they had now implemented into the game:

Official Blizzard Quote:

GenericJargon
    @Diablo Awesome! So, do players only get a shared stash, or do they get a shared stash and a normal stash?

Diablo: @GenericJargon Both. And they're huge.

To continue this elaboration of the stashes, they assured us that mules won't be as prominent a feature as they were back in Diablo II, in reply to our own news staff member Jackzor:

Official Blizzard Quote:

Jackzor24
    @Diablo Even with a huge stash, wont we eventually fill it up across large amounts of characters? r the shared & normal stashs the same size

Diablo: @Jackzor24 I would never presume to underestimate someone's desire to amass large amounts of junk. Mules will happen. But not as much.

This should delight all the pack rats out there. I personally don't really think that a stash could be too big. I also like that there will be in fact two stashes, a personal and a shared one.

In a reply to an another of our staff members, Ophion, Blizzard confirmed us that right now gems are the only items able to be inserted into sockets:

[BLIZZ""]
    emilemil1
    @Diablo Will we be able to socket our items with something other than gems? Jewels perhaps?

Diablo: @emilemil1 There's a potential for it, but as it stands now sockets have one item type that can be placed into them - gems.[/BLIZZ]
    This follows in the footsteps of the earlier installment. In the original game gems were the only socketable just alike. This array of choices was expanded in the expansion pack, which introduced DiabloWiki.com - Jewels Jewels and DiabloWiki.com - Runes Runes. You can see a DIII gem on the right, click for a bigger picture.

While it seems that runes won't be returning in the form they were back in Diablo II because runes are placed into skills now, Jewels might return, but probably in an expansion pack at earliest. There always exists other kinds of possible socketable systems Blizzard might implement, and only future alone knows. Right now I'm satisfied with a balanced Gem system, where collecting the highest gem levels is going to take some time.

Last week they told us about the Sentry, a new Demon Hunter skill, but remained mysterious about its workings. The name alone brought us memories of the DiabloWiki.com - Assassin Assassin and her various traps, called sentries just alike. This made many fans ponder whether this new DH skill shared some similarities with those traps. @Diablo shot those lines of thought down:

Official Blizzard Quote:

NocturneGS
    @Diablo So the Sentry was given to the Demon Hunter. Is this identical to the Assassin's sentry? I'm dying to know how runes change it.

Diablo: @NocturneGS The assassin sentries were more like stationary magic dispensers. The demon hunter sentry is more like something a spy would sap

That was about all we could deduct from this tweet. It once again raised abundance of new questions. What is something a spy would sap? Perhaps this contraption isn't magical? Sapping brought debuffs instantly into my mind, while others thought of the Engineer's Sentry Gun in Team Fortress II. But on the other hand, the tweet lets us understand that this gadget might be a mobile... Valkyrie" class="wiki-link">Valkyrie"/> Valkyrie-equivalent?

We probably won't know before Blizzard tells us more.

Finally, @Diablo told us that Shrines" class="wiki-link">Shrines"/> Shrines are going to receive a new cohesive look:

Official Blizzard Quote:

Diablo: Shrines are receiving new visuals to give them a more cohesive look.

this video, featuring a shrine. It's unclear whether they refer to the same shrine looking cohesive in different acts, shrines looking cohesive within the environment they are in or different shrines looking cohesive - or perhaps all of these. Can't wait to see the new shrines.

However, they have touched the shrine functionality a couple of times so it might be in place to recap the little we know, for example during BlizzCon 2008 press conference Jay Wilson had this to say:

Official Blizzard Quote:

Question: Will there be shrines in Diablo 3?

Jay Wilson: We have not decided about it. We have ideas for shrines. The things is that only two shrines were actually interesting to the player: Experience Shrines and Monster Shrines. Other shrines where like “nah”. We want to bring some system in with this functionality. This is where the combo exp bonus comes from. It’s not replacing shrines, but it’s playing in to it.

Side note: the combo exp bonus Jay is referring to means the system where you gain additional experience if you kill a large number of monsters in rapid succession.

The latest news we've got regarding shrines was featured in the BlizzCast 8:

Official Blizzard Quote:

Bornakk: We have a couple Q&A questions for you today. The first one is from Daleks on USEast. Will shrines be making a return to the world of Sanctuary in Diablo 3?

Jay Wilson: Well there are some aspects of shrines that we liked, experience shrines I think are probably the prime example everyone uses. They're fun because they drive the player forward. Monster shrines are sometimes fun because they bring out a rare that you didn’t know or weren’t expecting that could come from any direction and that’s cool. But for the most part, the pure mechanic of shrines, a random powerup that just appears in the world for no reason, we don’t really want to litteraly bring that back. What we are going to try to do is integrate a lot of the best things of shrines into our quest and event systems so that when you encounter a random quest or random event that has a story context within the game it either rewards you like a shrine would reward you or something that is actually built into the gameplay of the quest. So while technically no shrines are not coming back verbatim, we are trying to bring back kind of the best things of them in a different form.

Bornakk: So you'll still have the randomness and spontanenity of it.

Jay Wilson: Exactly, and really they are kind of there to change up the gameplay and add a little factor of randomness, but we felt that very few of the shrines actually did that – accomplish that goal...

Bornakk: Stamina shrine?

Jay Wilson: Yeah, stamina shrine lets you run a long time. Skill shrine made you a little bit more powerful. We feel like we can take the best and put them within actual events that are a lot more fun and have a lot more gameplay to them.

They have also told us, for example, that there will be a MF shrine. That sounds like a perfect one to fit their design philosophy. Nothing to get you in a flurry to kill as many monsters as possible like a temporary buff increasing your drop chances. I still like the sound of that.

Now, back to wait in anticipation for the Male Demon Hunter.
    first!! :D :D
    nice read Don ;)
    spies sap sentry guns... the demon hunter will get a sentry gun.. SPAH SAPPIN MAH SENTRY !!!!!!!!!!!!

(obviously blizzard was referring to tf2)
    very cool idea with two gigantic stashes
    Quote from pixartist

spies sap sentry guns... the demon hunter will get a sentry gun.. SPAH SAPPIN MAH SENTRY !!!!!!!!!!!!

(obviously blizzard was referring to tf2)

I'm not sure, I think we will yet see.
    As it stands, gems as the only socketables = bland, flavourless porridge. Socketing 2 emerals into my armour: +14 dexterity. yipee.....not. Seriously, how boring is that.

Side note: the combo exp bonus Jay is referring to means the system where you gain additional experience if you kill a large number of monsters in rapid succession.

This pretty much epitomises what I said on another thread: they're trying to push us into an arcade-type gameplay. PLEASE: LESS GOD OF WAR, MORE D&D.
    Quote from maka

As it stands, gems as the only socketables = bland, flavourless porridge. Socketing 2 emerals into my armour: +14 dexterity. yipee.....not. Seriously, how boring is that.

How can socketables be any more exciting than that escapes me.

Quote from maka
    This pretty much epitomises what I said on another thread: they're trying to push us into an arcade-type gameplay. PLEASE: LESS GOD OF WAR, MORE D&D.

What is so arcade-type in an experience bonus? The word 'combo'? I think it is a good way to encourage killing more monsters at a time, since it increases difficulty as it'll be harder to survive then compared to killing them in small groups.
    I wish we had Shrines like we had in Diablo 1. Random Reallocation of points, less durability, mana decrease, +1 to Skill..you know, good and bad shrines.

D2 Shrines are so boring, they are always good for you (except the Fire one), always temporary, and you never have them you when you need.
    Imagine you making Shrine runs, looking for one that gives you permanent +5 Life Points or +10 to Attack Rating. Much more fun than finding one Stamina Shrine.

BTW...if I was in charge of Burning Hells, I´d fill the Sanctuary with disguised non-friendly shrines :bigD:

Quote from maka

Totally Agree. more RPG less cheesy action :geek: ... but I wouldn´t mind having one "Bloody Palace" kind of level just for fun :wink:
    Nice piece of write.

I never thought of shrine as something necessary for D2, and it itself has the potential to ruin pve gameplay quality, in fact I'm glad they scrap all the foolish boosting, powering up it does.

Yes, if it is simply bonus for your exp when killing hordes of demon instantenously, it's still stupid the idea of it, but if they're willing to develop it into more sophisticated construct of killing rather than blowing everything up at once. For the bonusing experiences for killing is a great idea.
    Quote from Don_guillotine

Quote from maka

How can socketables be any more exciting than that escapes me.

Quote from maka

What is so arcade-type in an experience bonus? The word 'combo'? I think it is a good way to encourage killing more monsters at a time, since it increases difficulty as it'll be harder to survive then compared to killing them in small groups.

Uhm....how can socketables be more exciting? let me see....jewels? socketables with random and multiple mods, and not something totally known and predictable? 'Attacker takes damage of 7'? Pff, what crock.

And it's not the experience bonus, it's the fact that they push you into a gameplay without pauses, just keep running forward as fast as you can. What's wrong with pausing to analyse the loot you get? What's wrong with proceeding slowly? And please don't tell me "oh, you don't have to play fast". they put these incentives for a reason. if they had their way, everyone would play like that. So I say again: less God of War, more D&D.
    Diablo is an ARPG. The one reason why I love this franchise so much is that it does center around an action game with some RPG elements to make your time investment worth it. Any mechanic that drives me to continue killing monsters is ok with me.

As for the sentry. I still see it as stationary. What separates it from the Assassin's in the mechanical aspect. It's not magical, it's mechanical. So far, the two traps we know are spike trap and shockspike. While they function similar to magical traps, it is the mechanics of the trap that separates apart. A sentry could still be stationary but it shoots out saw blades or even electricity (aka as lightning but in a non-magical sense).

I think that bad shrines are fun and mix up the shrine mechanic a lot.

With gems, we don't even know what their effects are and I am sure with so many levels and the top ones being so hard to obtain, they will not be boring +7str.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

Quote from maka

Uhm....how can socketables be more exciting? let me see....jewels? socketables with random and multiple mods, and not something totally known and predictable? 'Attacker takes damage of 7'? Pff, what crock.

Problem with jewels was that they rendered gems totally useless. Not only that, but the good jewels were ridiculously hard to come by and multiple times better than gems. And it was hands down simple which jewel was best for each build. Well, assuming one could acquire it and that one wasn't wearing at least 3 rune words.

I don't want to have a bunch of useless socketables with a couple rare exceptions. I want socketing to be more about rational choices. I'm not sure what is more interesting and challenging than facing the problem that: "I could need 7 precision, but on the other hand I need 7 attack as well, but I can't have both". I have to think about the rest of my gear and which at the end of the day is better in the big picture.

I also find the whole "combine gems to make higher levels" doohickey strangely mesmerizing.

As such: I think gems are far more exciting than jewels. Personally I think that if they implement jewels they should strictly be at par with gems.

Quote from maka

And it's not the experience bonus, it's the fact that they push you into a gameplay without pauses, just keep running forward as fast as you can. What's wrong with pausing to analyse the loot you get? What's wrong with proceeding slowly? And please don't tell me "oh, you don't have to play fast". they put these incentives for a reason. if they had their way, everyone would play like that. So I say again: less God of War, more D&D.

Nothing is wrong with proceeding slowly. Many good things are the result of tension between two opposite and mutually exclusive ends.

Like I said, the experience bonus creates an interesting tension between the benefits of being slow (less chance of dying) and being faster (more experience). At the end of the day, one can always just ignore this system and just be as fast or as slow as possible, without great punishment. The bonus isn't that big, and you are expected to hit around 60 by the end of Hell anyways whatever you do.
    Nothing is wrong with proceeding slowly. Many good things are the result of tension between two opposite and mutually exclusive ends.

Than their occurances should be as rare as possible, I still see it having significant influences to the flow of our gameplay. Since Blizzard will be adding more crucial elements to our encounter with such mechanics, such heavy influences would be better off being an interesting kicks once every four hours or so.

What I believe is we should rely on as much as the gameplay's own flow that is being carefully setup by dev team, unless The New Shrine can be so deliciously good, from what I'm hearing, they're still just advancing away the dangerously gameplay-hurting old shrine, pitching a few interesting clean cut element here and there. So I think this is dangerous terrortory, and I don't think dev team themselves had ever had the intentions to make it a core flavour for our gameplay.
    I don't think a 5% temporary (seconds) increase in exp gain is any game driving mechanic.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

Quote from ScyberDragon

I don't think a 5% temporary (seconds) increase in exp gain is any game driving mechanic.

What he said. It's more like a reward for not dying to those ~30 fallen mobs we've seen in screenshots.

One loses more than 5% experience if one dies anyways (the time it takes to walk through the already cleared areas could be spent killing monsters).
    I like the idea of two rather large stashes. I personally don't like to hold onto a lot of junk, but it may prod me into doing so so I can mess around with other characters. Only gems in socket-able items kind of sucks, I just hope that changes upon game release. An MF shrine? nice touch.

Recruiting for East Realm
    Also recruiting for Sc2 on both EU and NA servers

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    I think Jewels should be given tiny bonuses that normally only exists on gear. 2% to Cleave, 3% to return an attack, etc. That way they won't compete with Gems in the same way.

There can also be a maximum number of Jewels per item if they still end up being too good.
    Dfans, make this man a MOD, are you a moderator don? I really liked the shared stash/ person stash concept in torch light, the only problem was the game had no replay value so I never used it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He is a news reporter :) A step below mod.

Yeah, I never used the sharing either in TL because it was too boring to play twice, even with a different class.
    Step below mod? Different category I'd say.

I prefer gems for socketables. Jewels made the whole thing really confusing, that, and 99% of them that you pick up are useless, and I really hate thrash in the game, unless it's all recyclable (read: cubable).
    Gems are shiny, too.
    <3 gems.

As for shrines... never cared for them, never will.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes