What if there was a proof that God exists..

I'm reminded of a quote from George Carlin :P
    (just kidding)
    well what god are we talking about? Zeus? Ok, I assume its the Christian god your talking about.

will we behave "better" if we knew that the christian god existed? not sure, but I invite you to look at this perspective,

People who believe in god now are not at all behaving by the commands from the god. Believers might say they get there "morals" or standards from the Bible, and that they believe that a god has commanded them, but if you read the bible you will realize how they are all lying. They are cherry picking "rules" to follow, and leaving most "rules" in the book. Like, if christian parents' children are not obedient, they don't stone them to death as the bible commands (this is just one example out of countless).

My point being that people do not get there morals from this old book. Our behavior does not seem to depend on this imaginary totalitarian beast (god), but instead our moral compass seem to have developed into what it is today along side the development of our species, and it will continue to develop. There was a time where slavery was normal and recognized as common practice, but now its looked at as an abomination, because todays morals and standards have developed into what it is by the common consensus to minimize human suffering. Who knows what we will label "right" and "wrong" in 200 years from now.

Morality is surely not a static standard, it is very much dynamic, and not ruled by this monster Yahweh. so, no, I doubt we will behave better knowing a god exists or not, we will just behave.

(sorry for long post, and please appreciate that I used the word develop instead of evolved) :)
    "Show no mercy, have no pity! Kill them all - old and young, girls and women and little children!" God. Ezekiel 9:5

Enjoy!
    Respectful is a strong word...
    didn't wanna turn this topic in arguments wether God exists or not, just wanted your opinion if we would be better people if we knew God exists.
    so far 2 people answered and rest of you trying to convince yourself or others that God does/not exist. But that's pointless..
    I answered. If God existed then he/she would be a horrible person. He let shit hit the fan and didn't care at all. I would hate him if he existed, and I would not let him acknowledge any ownership over me.
    Respectful is a strong word...
    Quote from enough86

didn't wanna turn this topic in arguments wether God exists or not, just wanted your opinion if we would be better people if we knew God exists.
    so far 2 people answered and rest of you trying to convince yourself or others that God does/not exist. But that's pointless..

well, I tried to give my opinion on it. maybe we could hear what you think an why? or some comments on how you see what I or others have said :)
    God is math
    when i die.. if i then meet god, i would ask him which religion he is from .. christian ? muslim ? jew ? what religion got it right!
    No need to speculate, he doesn't exist, period.
    A definitive answer one way or the other would theoretically benefit society greatly, alas I still doubt it would change much. People would still believe whatever they choose to. Reasoning doesn't affect their opinions now, I don't see why further reasoning would help.
    Quote from enough86

yeah it's an interesting question :) i think yes, people should know maybe some people would be a little nicer on the internet knowing they are being watched ;)
    generally i think it could lead to more "morals" if you knew somebody judges you for it. not that you couldnt watch yourselft if you are a person with good morals - but most people are only nice because they fear the consequences (as seen on the internet - anonymity leads to unsocial behavior in many cases)

i myself dont believe in god but it's funny how every thread about religion turns into a bashing of them.
    i dont claim i'm right doubting god's existence, it's just my view on the world. and i know that most people disagree with me on that - since most humans on this planet actually are religios. and one should respect that.
    Quote from Cazh2

when i die.. if i then meet god, i would ask him which religion he is from .. christian ? muslim ? jew ? what religion got it right!

All three of the big monotheistic faiths share the same God - therefore they would either all get it right or none of them would. The religions themselves only differ in regards to doctrine, scripture, and practice.
    Edit, please remove.
    cause when we know god exists then we know their is someone who is watching us.......
    Quote from enough86

In your opinion, if there was a proof that God exists or that God has shown itself to us, would we better people knowing that?

No.
    Even if some day God magically appeared in the sky, I would just ignore him because the human race is better of without him anyways, IMHO :P
    Make your peace...Quickly!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes