HDD question

I plan on buying HDD and i have 1 question about something. If my motherboard doesn't support "Raid" and the HDD does will it work or will i need a new motherboard to support it?
    No, you don't need to run your drives in RAID. Yes you read right DRIVES (plural).

RAID stands for redundant array of independent drives. This gives you benefit of things like mirroring, striping and all other kinds of fun stuff.

You don't need this if you are only replacing one drive. All you need to know is that the interface is supported by your motherboard (SATA, IDE) and that your PSU has enough connectors to support it.
    Thank you very much for the fast reply. =)
    Don't buy a HDD, buy a SSD! You get less GBs for your money, but you get MUCH faster read/write times, less noise, and less heat.
    i would choose my own religion and worship my own spirit, but if he ever preached to me i wouldn't want to hear it. i'd drop him, a forgotten god, languishing in shame; and then if i hit stormy seas, i'd have myself to blame. Zhaph#1849
    Quote from Zhaph

Don't buy a HDD, buy a SSD! You get less GBs for your money, but you get MUCH faster read/write times, less noise, and less heat.

His motherboard doesn't even support RAID (Though, I'd never use a mobo RAID solution, dedicated card only, but still), there's no way it supports SATA3. While he will still beat an HDD by a decent margin on SATA2, he's going to end up paying more, for a fraction of the storage compared to a 1-2TB Caviar Black, while completely losing the entire selling point of modern generation SSDs -- the speed they provide on a SATA3 bus.
    SSD's burn out much faster than a HDD. I did my homework back in January when building my parts list for my custom monstrosity.
    Just as the Scorpion hunts...
    Silently Lurking...

"Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted." ~ Ezio Auditore de Firenze
    There isn't much point in using raid for a typical user imo, and I've used raid before and seen no real world benefit (raid 0) except benchmarks.

Raid 1 is still good for backup however. OP, what is you reason for wanting to raid?
    Quote from Lt. Venom

SSD's burn out much faster than a HDD. I did my homework back in January when building my parts list for my custom monstrosity.

First gen SSD's had write issues. This isn't a problem anymore. It'll be years before you need to replace an SSD, unless it's faulty which can happen to HDD's too.
    i have a new hdd and it good
    People are saying you should bye a SSD but really they are not that good now, yes they are fast but cost alot and have smaller space go for a seagate 3 TB and your fine. Also RAID is not really something you need, if you dont want to RAID two 3 TB's but who uses that much ;p
    if you can afford it buy
    a 60 gb SSD for your System .(c:)
    a 120 GB ssd for demanding games
    and a whatever sized HDD for movies/ muisc etc. - stuff which is not very performancy hungry.

you cant go wrong with this setup^^
    Quote from Jalatiphra

if you can afford it buy
    a 60 gb SSD for your System .(c:)
    a 120 GB ssd for demanding games
    and a whatever sized HDD for movies/ muisc etc. - stuff which is not very performancy hungry.

you cant go wrong with this setup^^

my words exactly, there is no better solution for gaming rather than SSD..60GB or 120GB should work just fine for your case.
    ssd got so cheap! just grab one!
    If you plan to buy SSD drive, look for Samsung 830 or Samsung 840 Pro.

Don't buy anything that is on Sandforce or Samsung 840 (Normal).

ssdaddict.com/ss/Endurance/Endurance_cr_latest.png
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes