PANDAS IN WOW

Quote from overneathe

The first part of your post has very legit claims but the second, as you know, is a personal rant so I'll leave both alone. From what I understand though you agree with me that not focusing on high-end raiding and high-end arena is the way to go. Correct?

Yes and yes. I agree, for sanity's sake, focusing on high-end anything is a recepie for disaster. It's a truism for gaming (and life) in general, but for MMOs it's a particular hazard I run into with many a game.

I don't know what I was trying to communicate in that rant, but I think it would be something to the effect of: Pandas and Pet Battles aren't going to really provide a significant draw away from those heavy-handed timesink pve and pvp projects that we all feel compelled to undertake. In the end, that's why I and most of my friends left the game, we knew that we played for the raids or the arena matches, but the actual things we ended up doing in-game were by-in-large distractions to keep us from thinking about how much that content dissapointed us.

Your mileage may vary. I don't pretent to speak for the majority (in-fact I know, looking at the present subscriber numbers for WoW, that I don't). But, among those who appreciate the more casual arpg genre (the Diablo crowd) I think this might ring a bell for some. If one jaded player considering re-subscribing to WoW reads my rant and remembers exactly why he/she quit... I will consider my job well-done. =)
    On the contrary, you do speak for the majority! Because, and this is a fun fact, there have been more people that used to play WoW then there currently are subscribed. That means that there have probably been well over 12 more million of people, just like you and me, that have quit for one reason or another.

My personal reasoning was that when I reached 85 in Cataclysm I felt like there's nothing else to do beyond raiding and high-end PVP. My 85 hunter was just stuck in grinding away at old achievements I hadn't accomplished during the last few expansions. I did all the quests and leveled all my professions + archaeology. Tried the gameplay with a DK, a Mage and a Druid and it felt like I've done this a million times and all that has changed are a few skills and nicer art.

Here's for Pandaria to make the difference. I'm all for returning to the game, but first Blizz needs to show some love.

Ha. Bagstone.

Don't cry people, there is a lot of epicness in this expansion.

By example: Now you can go around the world killing stupid lovely pandas and burning their homes FOR THE LULZ.

Hail to the King, baby!

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Frankly, I am psyched. This expansion is gonna be freaking epic.

And to the people griping about Pandas being both Alliance and Horde, think about this for a moment. Blizzard has been sliding on their silhouette recognition policy for years now. This is nothing more then putting the final nail in the coffin of the policy and taking yet another step from the games that WoW was built to emulate, Everquest and others like it.

Anyway, the only thing that I dunno about is how they are going to have a language barrier between Alliance and Horde with Pandas on both sides...

EDIT: Did anybody hear about the remodeling of the original 10 races??? AWESOME!!!
    Quote from LinkX

Anyway, the only thing that I dunno about is how they are going to have a language barrier between Alliance and Horde with Pandas on both sides...

That's a good question. I honestly think the language barrier is silly at this point, but that makes it all the more so. Come to think of it, being able to /yell coherently at members of the opposite faction would be perfect for their factional warfare themed expansion too.

Quote from LinkX

EDIT: Did anybody hear about the remodeling of the original 10 races??? AWESOME!!!

I thought the word was they were hesitant because they were not sure if people would appreciate a change of model on their old characters. Of course, that sounds like rubbish and I would hope they take the time to update all the models; just another way to breath a little more life into an aged title like WoW.
    Quote from proletaria
    That's a good question. I honestly think the language barrier is silly at this point, but that makes it all the more so. Come to think of it, being able to /yell coherently at members of the opposite faction would be perfect for their factional warfare themed expansion too.

Well, I think they don't want the two factions to be all lovey dovey together and jazz. If they can talk, the players would talk and would realize that the other guy behind the computer monitor playing that gnome is a real living breathing human, and that by roflstomping the level 12 gnome with your 85 org, you are just basically pissing on another human.

Just my 2 cents though.

Only thing I can think of is that you have to swear allegiance to your faction or something.

Kinda like how the Taunka do in Wrath.

Quote from proletaria
    I thought the word was they were hesitant because they were not sure if people would appreciate a change of model on their old characters. Of course, that sounds like rubbish and I would hope they take the time to update all the models; just another way to breath a little more life into an aged title like WoW.

Latest I heard they are 100% going to do it, but they are being very, very careful because they don't want to alienate anybody. But they are going to.
    Actually they've always said they've wanted to update the player models. They know they're absolutely awful. Some of them like the Troll and dwarf were made about TEN years ago! Blizz just never has any time for those things though. Just as the devs said at Blizzcon about player housing "Hey, we're all for that, hopefully one day we'll able to bring that to WoW. Contrary to popular belief though we do not have infinite resource. Players want content and at the end player housing is not content."

What they're saying is that all those cool cosmetic feature are ALL under development, but sadly Blizz just never really have the time for them. That's not to say they've ever mentioned any of them NOT being in development. Just things that can't really be done that quickly. Like player housing, new player models, the dance studio and so on.

On the good side, one of those projects is just a few weeks away - the transmogrifier is an absolutely awesome feature that the public has been craving for for a very, very long time. And it's so close now...

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from LinkX

Well, I think they don't want the two factions to be all lovey dovey together and jazz. If they can talk, the players would talk and would realize that the other guy behind the computer monitor playing that gnome is a real living breathing human, and that by roflstomping the level 12 gnome with your 85 org, you are just basically pissing on another human.

You should see the factional PvP in EVE Online. Players being able to communicate to one another doesn't exactly breed friendships. It breeds all manner of halarious smack-talk (if that's still a relavent coloquialism this decade) and generally fuels the fire.

Of course, it would be breaking a long-standing tradition for Blizzard to make that change, so I agree it's more likely they'll simply have some arbitrary reason that pandas can't communicate with their fellows after alignment to one side or the other. (Cue the lore-junkies making an angry posts on the general forum)
    My personal biggest disappointment in this expansion is that they didn't upgrade the model of the old races... they just look freaking awful imo.
    I personally always liked the Pandaren.
    Quote from proletaria

I also have a serious issue with their refusal to condense their dispersed server populations. Low population servers stagnated for years on end while full servers crammed well past capacity were left to choke on queue lines for years. There should have been extensive free transfer services, at least, and preferably a lot of server merging years ago.

Long live the 3400 person, 3 hour ques on Blackrock after an expansion release and the 1 hour battleground ques!

I quit WoW because level 85 got so boring after about a month or two. It got to the stage where I would only log on once a week to max my conquest points :\

I think the language barrier between Alliance and Horde was super important to prevent jerks from ruining the game for others. i.e. ganking someone and then sitting around abusing them for half and hour.
    Your deeds of valor will be remembered
    is anyone really surprised? i called pandaren years ago, so did so many other people, it was going to happen with all the requests for them (god knows who actually requested pandas..).. as you can probably tell i think it's stupid, not because they are pandas but because in announcing the expansion they have given me no incentive to come back and fight evil again, they just brought in 'supercute' stuffed kids toys that can fight. I remember getting chills watching illidan and arthas's cinematics, but there is no main antagonist atm it seems? maybe when they release who the actual enemy of the expansion is, i will give more of a shit.

regardless, im not going to be playing again, i just keep up to date. Im going to be too busy on my toilet seat with a liquid food IV playing diablo3 until my eyes bleed/i pass out.

i feel i should mention i loved WC3 and so i am aware of the pandarens existence in the universe :P
    Currently playing: League of legends, Legend of Grimlock, Magic:the gathering 2012, Dota 2 beta, Civilisation IV
    There won't be a "main antagonst" as you should already know. The raids are going to be about 3 races we've never seen before and it's gonna be much more lighthearted. With which I agree. :]

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from Jaelzadeon

What about cry? You didn't say cry.

If I were still playing WoW I would feel really let down right now. That's just me though...

My thoughts exactly.

I feel the game went for a whole diffrent style after wrath of the lich king.
    I had my fun in the 5 years off play. but at this moment iam glad i quit.
    I have never played WOW so kinda of a nuetral point of view. But when Chris was up on Blizzcon stage announcing this I thought for sure this was a joke like we get on april fools day. I mean how did he keep a straight face ? I busted out laughing. I mean come on get real, pandas lol. Hey i want my toon to be a bad ass panda with a kung foo grip lol. Too f'ing funny. Also i notice Chris on the lore diablo 3 panel. Unless i missed it was that his first panel involving D3 ?
    Quote from Deventh

My personal biggest disappointment in this expansion is that they didn't upgrade the model of the old races... they just look freaking awful imo.

They haven't upgraded the models because they are still working on them...

The updated models for the old races should be in 5.0 or 5.1.

Quote from Illich_
    I remember getting chills watching illidan and arthas's cinematics, but there is no main antagonist atm it seems? maybe when they release who the actual enemy of the expansion is, i will give more of a shit.

There was also no actual enemy of the original Vanilla game either. Were you equally upset about that?

Serious question is serious.
    If my panda doesn't breathe fire or anything cool or bad ass then this will probably be it for me in WoW. At least untill they announce the Demon Hunter hero class or just class in general then I may return. Or just wait for wc4 and continue there.
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Honestly, the game would get better if they removed a class or two (namely druids and paladins) who currently have WAY too many functional uses to balance. I think the monk sounds neat, but the way they spectacularly failed to balance the DK i'm shocked they went ahead with another hero class.
    Quote from DesmondTiny

If my panda doesn't breathe fire or anything cool or bad ass then this will probably be it for me in WoW. At least untill they announce the Demon Hunter hero class or just class in general then I may return. Or just wait for wc4 and continue there.

How about Monk?

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from overneathe

Quote from DesmondTiny

How about Monk?

We have the Diablo Monk for that.

Hail to the King, baby!

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes