D3 fans and WoW - big happy family?

Poll: What do you think of WoW?

What do you think of WoW? - Single Choice

• Neutral 3.3%
  • Hate it - The game changed the entire MMO industry to the worse. Now everyone and their grand mother wants to get rich b 3.3%
  • Hate it - played it for more than a year. 1.1%
  • Hate it - played for a short while. 6.6%
  • Hate it - never tried it. I just know I hate it! 0%
  • It's okay I guess - I don't play it anymore. 47.3%
  • It's fun - but I'll quit for D3. 22%
  • Love it - I will play both WoW and D3. 16.5%

Poll: Why did you quit WoW? (you can have multiple answers)

Why did you quit WoW? (you can have multiple answers) - Multiple Choice

• Still playing. 15.6% of Users - 19 votes
  • Same old, same old. Even good things have to end. Time for a change. 37.7% of Users - 46 votes
  • Issues with the people I played with. 4.9% of Users - 6 votes
  • Real life issues. Took to much of my time. 23% of Users - 28 votes
  • I got bored pretty fast! Game is BORING. 18.9% of Users - 23 votes
    LotRo, really?
    Hate it - played for a short while.
    2 hours.

And yes, I really Hate that game.

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Quote from Enkeria

2 hours.

played it for 2 hours?
    i dont want to look like a fanboy, but thats not even close to whats the game about...
    I'm kinda done with WoW to be honest. I loved it and it is an amazing game but I won't be going in for the offer just because as soon as D3 releases; I am going to be playing that when ever I have gaming time.

You just lost

THE GAME!!!
    Quote from Lucht

Quote from Enkeria

2 hours.

played it for 2 hours?
    i dont want to look like a fanboy, but thats not even close to whats the game about...

I can almost imagine how it went. He made an orc, he saw the ugly desert starting zone, saw that the quests were "kill x mobs" and died at scorpion "boss" quest.

HATE!

:>

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from overneathe

Quote from Lucht

Quote from Enkeria

2 hours.

played it for 2 hours?

I can almost imagine how it went. He made an orc, he saw the ugly desert starting zone, saw that the quests were "kill x mobs" and died at scorpion "boss" quest.

HATE!

Well that is indeed the boring part even though that gameplay amazed me since I abandoned RS for it :D

The fun part for me was staying in the low level brackets and killing noobs with the twinks(good-geared).
    Then leveled to level 70 and pvping and just pvping and pvping and pvping, could do it forever.
    Was kind of the same in Lich King but I quit for ~3 months a while after the game was launched since it was so unbalanced with immortal one-shotting Death Knights. Then I started playing again but quit half a year before Cata launched and finally I played Cata for 2 months before getting bored.

It's not that the game got worse, well maybe balance-wise, but just that you get fed up doing the same thing for 4 years. If you tried it for 2 hours you haven't tried it all I'm afraid.

WoW becomes one of the best games when you combine it with friends, that's especially important, else it can be very tedious. But in order to fully experience it you need to at least try High end arena or raids!
    Quote from Baracuda

WoW becomes one of the best games when you combine it with friends, that's especially important, else it can be very tedious. But in order to fully experience it you need to at least try High end arena or raids!

Just don't do high-end raids with friends. Otherwise, eventually, you're going to have to choose between the raid and the friends.
    Quote from proletaria

Quote from Baracuda

Just don't do high-end raids with friends. Otherwise, eventually, you're going to have to choose between the raid and the friends.

Yeah I meant friends more to talk with, play dungeons/battlegrounds with.
    For raids/arena you should find players that you can work together with, be they strangers or rivals.
    Quote from Baracuda

Yeah I meant friends more to talk with, play dungeons/battlegrounds with.
    For raids/arena you should find players that you can work together with, be they strangers or rivals.

Precisely. The best raiders are people who display a similar level of motivation (or addiction) to clear the content, a common schedule, and just enough likeability that you don't want to mute them (but you don't mind gkicking them).

If it sounds like i'm a bitter former-GM, it's because I am. =)
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from Lucht

Quote from Enkeria

2 hours.

played it for 2 hours?

HATE!

I was told it cost more money and the game was HUGE, making you run around to long without any action. And compair to Diablo it was shit.

Edit: crap exchanged to shit.
    Edit 2: I think I started out with a Minotaur (is that possible in the first WOW???)

No wonder, Mulgore (the Tauren starting zone) is quite possibly the worst of all. Hoofing it to Crossroads was one of those "oh fuck this," moments I can still remember from the days I was in the WoW Beta.
    I played wow since beta and at start it was great. World pvp was hella fun - raiding Astranar was epic. Then BGs came and pvp ranks. 5 Hour AVs and the quest reward polearm everyone had. Getting to 60 was a feat and so was getting a fast mount.

Solo player rejoiced! Raiding was for no lifers as ingridient farm and rep farm and atunement took days. You didnt need retarded arena team, all you had to do is run scholo and strat to get your blues, do some pvp for purples and have fun!

Then 3 expansions later solo player is screwed.

Leveling up? Do it faster in a guild. Do it 10 times faster with recruit a friend.

PvE? Content gotten so easy that instead of 5 raiding guilds per server (vanilla) now theres 500. Everyone has epics, but guess what? If you want one you gotta join the guild, listen to stupid leader and log on to pc at 21.00pm every tuesday..

PvP? Again you cant get the good stuff unless you are in arena team, in a guild and have a bg team. 1337 pvper is not guy who made the movie where he ganked in capital city ,came up with a clever macro and never died in BGs, no now its the guy who has a 23 year old virgin friend who plays holy paladin. And they have a title, mount and crazy gear to prove it. What do you have solo player?

This just stands against everything that D1 and D2 is. Those are single player games. Those are games where anyone and everyone has best loot. Games where you feel the power as individual, feel how cool your character is not take pride that your guild was the first Albanian guild to down some new raid boss and have the screenshot of the dead boss and the 40 virgins as your wallpaper.

Thats why I left wow. And if Blizz ever does the same thing to D3 I'l leave it as well. :dh:
    Pretty good summary, and I felt just as cheated as a player who didn't solo all that much.

The guild perks made intra-guild tensions go sky high (WHO DIDN'T DO DAILIES OR ASSIST IN GUILD ACHIEVMENTS TODAY?). The RaF system became a necessity to get alts level'd and ready for raiding since class balance went wonky and PERFECT raid make-ups were required to make any headway in heroic modes or achievement runs. Many guilds took the option of scaling DOWN to 10man raid groups only to realize that the 10man were MUCH harder to progress through due to being poorly balanced in 10man and requiring even more strict raid comps.

Overall though, I think your perspective meets mine in the wash. Ultimately there was a lot of trouble for a small reward and the rest of the gameplay, which should have been fun and rewarding too, was not being improved upon at all. I think their biggest mistake was trying to cater to hardcore pvp'ers with Arena/Rated BG and such. There was simply no reason for it. PvP had always been a side meta-game for blowing off steam after raiding or questing. Balancing pvp was always going to end up really hurting class balance in pve. And what did blizzard gain by way of Arenas? A small, snobby, and often bile-spitting population of "elite pvp," gamers who made the top-100 bracket of raid guilds look like a populist movement.

From the looks of things Blizzard is getting back on track with a more broad (dare I say "casual,") appeal theme. I applaud them for that. But I think the damage has already been done. Thankfully, I don't see them repeating those mistakes with D3. The devs have been clear about NOT pandering to elitepvp.
    I had no WOW friends at the time, all played D2. I was more into getting a job then play games that took forever to complete. (Not refering to Tetris).

Edit: Oh yeah, and I love single player mode and dislike online games.

Quote from Illich_
    didnt know that, but i still don't like the way guilds go about recruiting, it's always felt way too stiff and your only option to access the raids was to do the whole apply thing, wake up early just to raid, follow all their rules and be on vent etc, it wasnt fun.. you spent 45 minutes setting up for a raid or longer, then before every boss you stand around more listening to some neckbeard tell me how to play instead of telling everyone to google the strat and be back in 5 minutes..

Actually, I have never been in a guild like that. In fact, my guild is a raiding guild, and my guild leader has offered three times to teach me how to raid. They are not the first ones to down Illidan/Arthas/Deathwing, but they are a raiding guild.

It sounds like you just had some bad guilds. :/

Either that or I am good at finding good guilds. :P

Quote from Enkeria
    Edit 2: I think I started out with a Minotaur (is that possible in the first WOW???)

Lol... I can see why you hated it if you played Tauren in Vanilla...

I wonder what class you were...

Quote from proletaria
    No wonder, Mulgore (the Tauren starting zone) is quite possibly the worst of all. Hoofing it to Crossroads was one of those "oh fuck this," moments I can still remember from the days I was in the WoW Beta.

Back in Burning Crusade I deeply enjoyed running from Mulgore to Eversong and Ghostlands.

I laughed all the times when the Blood Elves just looked at me. Some followed me around even. I'm sure I was reported as a chineese player or whatever a few times. It was hilarious. Lol.
    Lolled @ the title :P

Thats like saying: NWA and KKK one big happy family...

Ye not gonna happen bro.
    Quote from LinkX

Quote from Enkeria

I were.. Class Dismissed.

Quote from Enkeria

Quote from LinkX

Quote from Enkeria

I were.. Class Dismissed.

Bazinga!
    I played for over 5 years and I met some great people that I still keep in contact with, WoW gave me some of my best gaming memories and I don't regret my time playing it at all. That being said it did get boring, but how could it not after 5 years? The game itself is leagues above its "competition" though.
    The question isn't why do I kill. The question is, why I don't kill everybody.
    End game raiding got far to serious business for my liking. However, the main reason I stopped playing is because I made a big commitment to uni and it would have been unrealistic to commit to both fully. Depending when MoP comes out I will most likely play it, unless its released super close to d3.
    Your deeds of valor will be remembered
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes