Torchlight 2: HUGE TON OF FUN!!

I strongly recommend you guys to try it. It is a blast right from the beginning, you won't be able to stop playing!
    I am 3 hours into the campaign and it is already the best 19€ I spent on a game for the last years.

Have fun!
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version
    Since this is not related to Diablo 3 discussion, I'm moving this to the other games section.
    The game is ok so far. It's not the best by any stretch, but it's not the worst either. D3 and TL2 will coexist just fine, but D3 is still better in my books. For $19.99, it's not a waste to buy TL2.
    Seriously, can you start infracting this guy for posting this shit in the wrong forums?

It's plenty clear he's doing it on purpose and it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to think he was being payed to "advertise" on this site since all he has done recently is promote other games and badmouth D3. He knows full well that when a mod moves a topic that a redirect is left on the other forum which draws people to the topic until its moved off the first page - which accomplishes his goal anyway. There is no coincidence here, at all.

I don't want draconian moderation, but this is clearly abusing the rules.

Quote from Doez

The game is ok so far. It's not the best by any stretch, but it's not the worst either. D3 and TL2 will coexist just fine, but D3 is still better in my books. For $19.99, it's not a waste to buy TL2.

Agreed, it's just like TL1 was - a good indie game which, due to its reduced price, is a good value, but hardly a groundbreaking MUST PLAY game.
    65.3k elite kills :: 1.94m total kills :: p235
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    It's a pretty good game. I played for a couple hours last night and honestly it felt like I was playing WoW more than a D3/2 clone. Might be the cartoony graphics..but either way it's fun, and it's no D3 killer that's for sure! The 2 will co-exist just fine.
    Quote from shaggy

Seriously, can you start infracting this guy for posting this shit in the wrong forums?

It's plenty clear he's doing it on purpose and it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to think he was being payed to "advertise" on this site since all he has done recently is promote other games and badmouth D3. He knows full well that when a mod moves a topic that a redirect is left on the other forum which draws people to the topic until its moved off the first page - which accomplishes his goal anyway. There is no coincidence here, at all.

I don't want draconian moderation, but this is clearly abusing the rules.

Quote from Doez

Agreed, it's just like TL1 was - a good indie game which, due to its reduced price, is a good value, but hardly a groundbreaking MUST PLAY game.
    just try the game dude it'll chill you out a little.
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

Quote from brx

I hope TL2 chills out your incessant "D3 sucks" posts.
    Quote from Doez

Quote from brx

I hope TL2 chills out your incessant "D3 sucks" posts.
    my incessants d3 sucks post? wat? you guys keeping bring that up not me.
    If d3 is so fine don't play tl2 and stick to your short sights. I don't mind.

TL2 deserves more to have a big community to back it up imo, but that's just me...
    Anyway, the game is good, allow yourselves some easy fun idk.

Moved to Torchlight part of forums.
    Loving it, actually find it way more entertaining then D3.
    Had problems with the graphics at first, but then they started to grow on me, I am loving the look of act 2.
    I find the game play much more advance, there are tons of different enemies with different attacks that can demolish you if not paying close attention.
    When I leveled my Barbarian in D3 I kept playing just so i could unlock inferno, in TL2 I keep playing just because it's so much fun.
    Playing Berserker class on Veteran difficulty, at level 19 I've chugged over 500 potions, In D3 I would have used about 3 potions.
    Don't see myself going back to D3.
    O_O
    Let's not turn this into another thread about what D3 does and doesn't have and stay on topic about Torchlight 2. Less arguing that way.

Also I will be getting this today and give it a try.
    I have been playing Torchlight 2 since release and have been loving it.
    I've just finished Act I of Torchlight 2 and I can honestly say that while it isn't necessarily better than D3, it is still well worth the money.
    Storytelling, characters and quest dialog is nowhere near that of Diablo 3. Graphics are obviously much weaker and make you appreciate the things Blizzard has done with their title. And D3 has a more fluid and rewarding gameplay.
    The things that are better are the things that make this game so much fun in the first place. Primarily - the loot, which is awesome and makes D3's loot seem extremely bland, offering you constant incentives to keep pushing on (hello actual set items and fun legendaries on low levels), and also all of the little things and side quests that you stumble upon when straying away from the road. Even though those are not very original, they still offer way more than D3 ever did.
    Events are challenging, fun, and rewarding, but not really groundbreaking. Rare fishing spots draw you to stop with the killing and try to fish something awesome from within the depths. And monsters can be quite brutal, especially on the Elite difficulty. Skills and weapons offer some cool combos and effects (dual wielding wands never felt better), even though the system does feel kind of clumsy at times.
    There is also a hilariously OP bug with the Embermage's Shocking Burst skill that practically makes you a God, destroying everything in your path.

Torchlight 2 feels like a classic action RPG, that never strays away from the roots of the genre. It is not a groundbreaking title, but it is primarily a fun one. It makes you keep playing by being engaging and making you feel there's always a cool new item behind the corner. It can be really hard from level 1, you can choose to play offline, in LAN or on the web. It offers what the fans of the genre have been asking for, and I would very much recommend it to anyone who likes these kind of games.
    "Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the small death that brings total obliteration."
    I've played maybe an hour or two so far and it's been pretty fun. I started outlander but I'm always drawn back to melee so now I'm running around as a berserker which I feel like a lot of the skills so far are hit and miss at least at lower points put in.

Overall though it has what I wanted from the game which is a lot of loot that does a lot of stuff. Going to keep going, maybe try the other classes a bit and keep adding "just a few more" stats to be able to wear new loot. (we all know that's a chain that doesn't end very easily)
    Quote from EleSaturate

I've just finished Act I of Torchlight 2 and I can honestly say that while it isn't necessarily better than D3, it is still well worth the money.
    Storytelling, characters and quest dialog is nowhere near that of Diablo 3. Graphics are obviously much weaker and make you appreciate the things Blizzard has done with their title. And D3 has a more fluid and rewarding gameplay.
    The things that are better are the things that make this game so much fun in the first place. Primarily - the loot, which is awesome and makes D3's loot seem extremely bland, offering you constant incentives to keep pushing on (hello actual set items and fun legendaries on low levels), and also all of the little things and side quests that you stumble upon when straying away from the road. Even though those are not very original, they still offer way more than D3 ever did.
    Events are challenging, fun, and rewarding, but not really groundbreaking. Rare fishing spots draw you to stop with the killing and try to fish something awesome from within the depths. And monsters can be quite brutal, especially on the Elite difficulty. Skills and weapons offer some cool combos and effects (dual wielding wands never felt better), even though the system does feel kind of clumsy at times.
    There is also a hilariously OP bug with the Embermage's Shocking Burst skill that practically makes you a God, destroying everything in your path.

Torchlight 2 feels like a classic action RPG, that never strays away from the roots of the genre. It is not a groundbreaking title, but it is primarily a fun one. It makes you keep playing by being engaging and making you feel there's always a cool new item behind the corner. It can be really hard from level 1, you can choose to play offline, in LAN or on the web. It offers what the fans of the genre have been asking for, and I would very much recommend it to anyone who likes these kind of games.

I prefer the graphics of torchlight to Diablo. Diablo, while it is supposed to be dark, takes it way too far. The game is just downright depressing to play through, especially when you get shit loot non stop for weeks on end.

As I said previously in my post moderators decided to delete for no good reason at all, I love D3. I am a huge fan of the Diablo franchise. But saying D3 is better than TL2 when you have yet to go through the entire game is pretty dumb. The game has more content, more endgame, more everything that D3. Unless of course you are basing your opinion 100% solely on the graphics, which is laughable.

The game rewards playing, I have yet to go an hour without dropping 2-3 legendary items. Levels are consistent, you don't hit a point where you have to play for 2-3 hours straight in order to ding a level. You can choose to play the hardest difficulty from level 1 instead of having to complete the game multiple times. You can go back through acts to re-clear and kill stuff. The side quests are 100000000 times better and more original than that of D3. The flavor text and story line are more clear if you played TL1 you should have no problems with it.

The boss fights are amazing in comparison to D3. Each boss, and each unique, has there own AI and scripts based on whatever abilities they have. You say they aren't groundbreaking? Well if you want to solely compare them to D3 they are definitely groundbreaking.

You have actual choices to make in building your character, something completely removed from the player in D3. And TL2 still allows you to test out skills since you can go back to town and undo the previous 3 spent talent points.

As to playing and controls, they are so much smoother than D3 its not even funny. Rubberbanding anyone?

Either way, I agree with a lot of what you said, but a lot of it is conjecture based on not even fully playing the game. Give it time before you make a statement like D3 is better.

As for me, I am undecided. So far I have enjoyed TL2 more than D3 by a rather huge margin. But I will hold off my final verdict until I beat the whole game and see whats waiting at the end.

But then again, this post will likely be deleted, so /shrug.
    It's amazing that you're arguing with a person that supports your opinion, but is not quite up there in the clouds with you going "this game is groundbreaking and everyone needs to acknowledge it".
    Quote from overneathe

It's amazing that you're arguing with a person that supports your opinion, but is not quite up there in the clouds with you going "this game is groundbreaking and everyone needs to acknowledge it".

I would like you to point out where I said "this game is groundbreaking and everyone needs to acknowledge it". Actually, if you can read, what I said was:

"Either way, I agree with a lot of what you said, but a lot of it is conjecture based on not even fully playing the game. Give it time before you make a statement like D3 is better.

As for me, I am undecided. So far I have enjoyed TL2 more than D3 by a rather huge margin. But I will hold off my final verdict until I beat the whole game and see whats waiting at the end."

As to arguing, I think its more of a "discussion" with me pointing out where i differ from him. This is a forum right? We are allowed to discus things here? Right?

But its nice to see the moderators trolling people.
    Alright. Let's discuss things.

I'm level 42 in A3 and so far it's been pretty boring. My right hand is holding my head while my left mouse button is soloing most of everything, with my right button smashing the heads in of bosses whenever they arise. I've gotten so much sets and legendary items that I kinda feel disappointed now when they don't drop in the next 10 minutes. Green and Blue items are about as interesting as white ones in D3. My engineer looks nothing like an engineer apart from his permahump and right now, in fact, looks like a colorful Lego character. My two stashes are full and there is nowhere left to put stuff in. At the beginning I gained so many levels in the first 30 minutes that I just let the skill points stack up before I began choosing skills, because I figured otherwise I'd have to pause my gameplay every 2 minutes or so. All the NPCs sound like broken robots and the story is so far away from my mind that it feels like I'm just playing a tabletop game made entirely of white blocks. There have so far been about 6 varieties of fish over the ten or so Promising and 4 Secret Pools I've found. The only actual puzzle was in A1 and I solved it in about 3 minutes, since then I've had a "follow the light" and, er, perhaps 1 more that I can't really remember. The minimap shows too little terrain, but the maps on the right/center/left end up taking so much space I can't see the screen. You can get full item sets by just porting out and inside the town since vendors sell them sets and reset each time you leave.

So far my chihuahua is the best thing in the game yet.

/discuss
    nvm, not gonna bother with an obviously biased and sarcastic trolling mod
    Quote from overneathe

Alright. Let's discuss things.

I'm level 42 in A3 and so far it's been pretty boring. My right hand is holding my head while my left mouse button is soloing most of everything, with my right button smashing the heads in of bosses whenever they arise. I've gotten so much sets and legendary items that I kinda feel disappointed now when they don't drop in the next 10 minutes. Green and Blue items are about as interesting as white ones in D3. My engineer looks nothing like an engineer apart from his permahump and right now, in fact, looks like a colorful Lego character. My two stashes are full and there is nowhere left to put stuff in. At the beginning I gained so many levels in the first 30 minutes that I just let the skill points stack up before I began choosing skills, because I figured otherwise I'd have to pause my gameplay every 2 minutes or so. All the NPCs sound like broken robots and the story is so far away from my mind that it feels like I'm just playing a tabletop game made entirely of white blocks. There have so far been about 6 varieties of fish over the ten or so Promising and 4 Secret Pools I've found. The only actual puzzle was in A1 and I solved it in about 3 minutes, since then I've had a "follow the light" and, er, perhaps 1 more that I can't really remember. The minimap shows too little terrain, but the maps on the right/center/left end up taking so much space I can't see the screen. You can get full item sets by just porting out and inside the town since vendors sell them sets and reset each time you leave.

So far my chihuahua is the best thing in the game yet.

/discuss

I agree on basically every point you made here. These things become pretty obvious as you progress further into the game.

- The talent system is strange, passives feel like the most usable skills and I tend to choose them 95% of the time. Also, the spells found off the mobs don't matter that much, at least in the first playthrough, and I find myself spamming the right click most of the time.

- I still enjoy the loot and how it's being distributed, but the visual impact of the items, especially the armor, is almost non existent. I look practically the same as I did 20 levels ago, even though all of my items have changed.

- Gems are not stacking. That is a big no-no, especially later on, when you begin to find a lot of them and they clutter up your inventory.

- Voice acting is pretty damn bad. I don't even have the words to describe the story. It was obviously not a priority for Runic. I tried reading everything and immersing myself, but it just couldn't capture my attention, at all. And I've played through TL1 and am familiar with the setting. This is a personal view of course, but even the very weak Diablo 3 story made me listen to each quest dialog and journal (which were actually great) once. And I've given up on TL2's story before the end of act 1.

@phoulmouth - I must disagree with you saying that TL2 has more everything than Diablo 3. In some ways it offers much more, as in LAN/offline support and character/item variety, but in others it doesn't even come close. And I'm not talking about the graphics at all. I always loved the cartoony-looking games. And I find the atmosphere/gameplay to be king, prioritizing it before everything else in gaming. Still, it cannot be argued that TL2 has much weaker graphics and effects than Diablo 3, and that the details on the spells and especially the armor are much, much lower, making it look mostly bland. The side quest are not 1000000 better or that original, they're mostly consisting of entering dungeons and killing a monster that holds a deed that you bring to the NPC. Or finding a few items to bring back to the quest giver. They're standard and basic quests. But at least there are side quests with actual rewards, compared to D3. I agree with that.

I have a feeling the modders are gonna make this game better than devs did. And it makes me sad that Blizzard couldn't allow modding for Diablo 3 because of the online requirement.
    "Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the small death that brings total obliteration."
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes