Starcraft 2 Campaign

So they split the game in three parts because the campaigns were so huge.
    I didnĀ“t like the split but was convinced I should give it a chance.

After playing the campaign for a few hours I was impressed. Some might be slow in gameplay but still fun.
    So I go check the quest board and I already played well over half the missions. I played maybe for 6 hours.

I'm greatly disappointed, seeing how I also did the side quests in each mission.

Sure it's more a game for custom maps and melee, but I hardly care about that. I was more interested in the campaigns, story etc. Man let down..
    There are 29 missions total, the original Starcraft had roughly 10 missions for each race, it came out at about 30 some missions for all 3.

I'm more than satisfied with this approach to the campaign, the amount of polish they've managed to put into it had made it straight up incredible. Not to mention the fact that they now have 29 missions worth of story for one race, results in a much more deep and involving story than the first two games.
    Quote from "Sixen" »
    "One in every 10 million people can potentially have a headache from this pill." God forbid she is the 0.000000001% of having a headache.
    I am a Starcraft virgin.
    I did 10 missions and the campaign rocks. Only thing that sucks is the fact that i crash every now and then.
    Quote from Jamoose

I did 10 missions and the campaign rocks. Only thing that sucks is the fact that i crash every now and then.

i'm currently close to the end and i had some rare crash issues too.
    the plot and the story telling are amazing and there's loads of variety in the missions and replayability through the different research paths you can take.

to summarize its better than any recent RTS campaign (and multiplayer even though i started getting my ass kicked again :P) i've played over the last few years.

cinematics and cutscenes are awesome too!

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    Quote from Airandius

It might be big, but most games have campaigns in this size now. So that's my complaint. I don't see why they could have waited a while and release the game with the other 2 campaigns as well other then the fact that they want to farm this franchise more.

So you're saying that Blizzard did in fact release a campaign which is actually comparable to most other games out right now? But you would have liked it to be 3x as big, and it sucks that it isn't?

Personally I thought it was great. I enjoyed all the missions (though I haven't had the time to play some the last missions where you had to pick a path yet). Even though almost all put time pressure on you, they were all enjoyable. I've never experienced that before in a game.

Quote from FingolfinGR

the plot and the story telling are amazing and there's loads of variety in the missions and replayability through the different research paths you can take.

SPOILER

At times I feel the plot is a little abrupt. For example, it felt as it everyone Was happy and pleased, then after one mission horner is pissed, Raynor drinks and whines, and Tychus tries pretty much ti kill Jim. I mean, sure, they don't like the Dominion, but it's like all hell breaks lose in 5 minutes. Then after the next mission everyone's settled again. The Dr. Hansen plot was a abrupt in a similar manner.
    DiabloWiki.com - PlugY PlugY for Diablo II allows you to reset skills and stats, transfer items between characters in singleplayer, obtain all ladder runewords and do all Uberquests while offline. It is the only way to do all of the above. Please use it.

Supporting big shoulderpads and flashy armor since 2004.
    SPOILER (3rd mission one, but anyways...)

The "Queen of Blades" is so Andariel.
    Is it me or are the cinematics really cheesy?
    Respectful is a strong word...
    Quote from PhrozenDragon

Quote from Airandius

It might be big, but most games have campaigns in this size now. So that's my complaint. I don't see why they could have waited a while and release the game with the other 2 campaigns as well other then the fact that they want to farm this franchise more.

So you're saying that Blizzard did in fact release a campaign which is actually comparable to most other games out right now? But you would have liked it to be 3x as big, and it sucks that it isn't?

Personally I thought it was great. I enjoyed all the missions (though I haven't had the time to play some the last missions where you had to pick a path yet). Even though almost all put time pressure on you, they were all enjoyable. I've never experienced that before in a game.

Quote from FingolfinGR

SPOILER

At times I feel the plot is a little abrupt. For example, it felt as it everyone Was happy and pleased, then after one mission horner is pissed, Raynor drinks and whines, and Tychus tries pretty much ti kill Jim. I mean, sure, they don't like the Dominion, but it's like all hell breaks lose in 5 minutes. Then after the next mission everyone's settled again. The Dr. Hansen plot was a abrupt in a similar manner.

Loved the campaign, was basically everything I expected + more. You rightly raised my only qualm, which was an odd bit of abruptness in certain things. I felt like Raynor's 'drama' was played up better in the extended trailer, and they could have handled the transition into / out of it with more complexity and care.
    A dripping sword / removes all memories.
    the doctor's plot made more sense. and i kind of accepted how things got at the mission where "hell broke loose" seeing Raynor with his cigar and not the usual bottle he had till then :P
    that, to me, and how he talked to the crew convinced me he was serious.

anyway, its part of personal taste too. when it comes to me i think the campaign overall was awesome and storytelling was far better than i expected.

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    I still don't see the complaint here.

Instead of packing 3 campaigns of the same size into one game, which would take development to roughly 2014, they've made a campaign comparable to the size of other games, with a price comparable to other games. The storyline is far better than other games, and the fact that two subsequent games will follow the SAME storyline further enhances this.

Essentially, where they could have given us one game, they've giving us three games each with normal sized campaigns, with a normal price.

I really don't see the problem here, nobody is forcing you to buy the other two if you don't want to.
    Quote from "Sixen" »
    "One in every 10 million people can potentially have a headache from this pill." God forbid she is the 0.000000001% of having a headache.
    Quote from DieHardDiabloFan

SPOILER (3rd mission one, but anyways...)

The "Queen of Blades" is so Andariel.

Considering Starcraft came out before Diablo 2....
    Quote from "Rykker" »
    Yes.
    How does the internets work?
    Quote from "Daemaro" »
    I r dun no.

I jus hit ramdon butins on teh broad.

Quote from Airandius

I liked the campaign it was good no doubt. However the size of the campaign is comparable to those of other games.
    I'm not saying that they should have made it 3 times bigger and more crappy, I'm saying they should not have seperated the game in 3 parts, on part for each race's campaign.

The excuse of the campaigns being so big (which is literally what Blizzard said to motivate their decision) is so wrong, because like I said, many other games out there have campaigns for multiple races that are almost just as big.

Games grow in size, this is normal. No need to cut games in multiple parts. It's like cutting Diablo 3 in 4 parts, one part for each act. Because ohh each act takes 2GB of space!! It's so big for games we must cut the game.

My god you're exagerating it or something. And yes, if D3 was going to be so big that it would take 2 more years to build, then that 2 more years is better placed in expansions. Which is something you totally don't seem to understand.

Cramming all the content they intend into 1 game would cost them more years with the game not even yet released. This way allows the multiplayer to exist as well. (the extremely flawed and broken Bnet 2.0 which I hope will eventually get fixed, just a side note, it is complete shit right now)

It took me quite a while to complete and see everything in the campaign. At least over 15 hours. This is more than a lot of games, and it was well filled. All I'm essentially hearing is "I deserve 30 more hours of gametime into one package", which isn't a fair demand.
    No trust me, I get your complaint, I really do.
    It's just... stupid, to say the least.

As SFJake already pointed out, you're completely exaggerating this whole "3 games" deal.
    You do realize that if they had mashed all 3 races into one game, the development length and costs would have skyrocketed, yes?

Not only that, but with gaming advancing as it is, the game would have looked like shit when it came out, unless of course it underwent an engine overhaul during the development process, which would have further increased costs and length.

I fail to see why only having a campaign for one race qualifies it as an incomplete game.
    Let's take Modern Warfare, for example...

Did the other enemy factions get a campaign?
    ... No?

SWEET FUCKING JESUS, THE GAME'S INCOMPLETE!!!

I just don't see the disadvantage in having a great story stretched out over 3 normal sized campaigns, even if they hyped up the size of the campaign.

Hype aside, we're still getting 3 normal sized games, at 3 normal prices, which are essentially 2 normal expansions.

We've had expansions in previous Blizzard titles, but this time there are two.
    Oh noes.

Quote from Airandius

Because it is one game, split in three.

Because a game featuring a normal sized campaign, fully featured multiplayer for all races, challenge missions on the side and custom map support is a third of a game, right?
    Quote from "Sixen" »
    One thing to point out. I beilieve the other two parts of the triology wont be labeled as "Expansions" but as total stand alone games.

Im playing the campaign on Hard and its fucking difficult. Still havent finished it yet.

Oh and the campaign is not short if you play it on hard... not to talk about brutal. Seriously its fucking hard guys. Whoever completed it on normal and then went on with his complaining rampage on various forums saying that its too short should just stay quiet.
    Quote from Zhar

As SFJake already pointed out, you're completely exaggerating this whole "3 games" deal.
    You do realize that if they had mashed all 3 races into one game, the development length and costs would have skyrocketed, yes?

Not only that, but with gaming advancing as it is, the game would have looked like shit when it came out, unless of course it underwent an engine overhaul during the development process, which would have further increased costs and length.

I fail to see why only having a campaign for one race qualifies it as an incomplete game.
    Let's take Modern Warfare, for example...

Did the other enemy factions get a campaign?
    ... No?

SWEET FUCKING JESUS, THE GAME'S INCOMPLETE!!!

I just don't see the disadvantage in having a great story stretched out over 3 normal sized campaigns, even if they hyped up the size of the campaign.

Hype aside, we're still getting 3 normal sized games, at 3 normal prices, which are essentially 2 normal expansions.

We've had expansions in previous Blizzard titles, but this time there are two.
    Oh noes.

Quote from Airandius

Because it is one game, split in three.

Because a game featuring a normal sized campaign, fully featured multiplayer for all races, challenge missions on the side and custom map support is a third of a game, right?

Agreed!
    Quote from SFJake

My god you're exagerating it or something. And yes, if D3 was going to be so big that it would take 2 more years to build, then that 2 more years is better placed in expansions. Which is something you totally don't seem to understand.

Quote from Zhar

No I think it's fair to say you both missed his point. The point was: make ONE game. Have 10 terran missions, 10 zerg missions and 10 protoss missions. Don't do heart of the Swarm or Legacy of the Void or whatever, and release an expansion with missions for all teams as well. Like SC1. Same mission amount, same development time, different focus.

Airandus main issue I think is that you can only play as Terran. However personally I think three in-depth campaigns are more preferable. Plus this way we get a guaranteed two "expansion" as opposed to the standard one.

Quote from Jamoose

Oh and the campaign is not short if you play it on hard... not to talk about brutal.

You also get some added time if you want to rerun the maps to get all the achievements. And the Raid night achievements as well, trimming your times down.

I like the achievements. They three mission achievements are really good most of the time, since it forces you to reconsider how you play and figure out how to be more effective. Although some like Red Lobster are just small fun things.
    DiabloWiki.com - PlugY PlugY for Diablo II allows you to reset skills and stats, transfer items between characters in singleplayer, obtain all ladder runewords and do all Uberquests while offline. It is the only way to do all of the above. Please use it.

Supporting big shoulderpads and flashy armor since 2004.
    Campaign was one of the best SC2 things. Loved it
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes