Experience: Solid State Drive & D3 (beta)

Fellow fans,

First i must excuse myself for my bad english.
    For a while ago now there's a new generation Solid State Drives (SSD) on the marked. Some artikels posted significant improvement in gaming preformence. (check google scholar and tag ''ssd&gaming'')

Im curious now what the difference is for Diablo 3 (beta)? Knowing the game isnt asking allot from ur pc, i do wonder what differences you can notice with the eye/feeling?

The reason for this question is that im doubting if i should infest in a SSD when diablo comes out, since i would like to enjoy the game without those ''spikes'' witch sometimes occur in ur screen.
    Does any1 got any experience on this?

Kind regards,

Ancile (Yes my name of my barb :D)

ps: im just a nurse so plx keep it simple
    Here's the thing with SSD drives and games...they may help a bit, but unless you have money sitting around it's not a smart buy. In general, SSDs speed up booting Windows, loading apps/games, file transfer, etc. They'll certainly help load games quicker, however once the game is loaded and you are playing, the difference between an SSD and a normal HDD is quite small. Long story short, it won't increase your frames per second by any noticeable amount.
    You should wait for the full game to release and then see if you need one.
    I personaly think the beta has some problems with the virtual memory and if it is true it will be fixed, so don't hurry just yet... it could be anything as of now! :)
    The cause and the cure.
    Yea I have been thinking about buying a SSD.
    I have been looking around and doing abit of research and i think overall they seem to be quite good for games (mainly loading), and loading windows in general. I currently have a raptor drive running at 10k RPM which is pretty fast but problem is the size of it is quite small which is one of the reasons for the upgrade and I figure SSD is the way to go.
    However like said previously, a SSD doesnt really boost game performance apart from the loading and the difference in a fast HDD and SDD when the game is loaded and running is very little.
    - The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame. -

- To save a life in defeat is to earn victory and honor within. -
    If you have the money to spend its a great buy. I had too much to spend at some given time so i got one for windows and some games i play alot (bf3). So far not a single regret. The best thing about it tho is that it produces no sound. Which was the main reason i bought one. I get nostalgic everytime i acces my data drive and i hear it spinning up :o
    SSDs only speed up the load time, which in D3, is already quite short. Once loaded, your GPU does most of the work and the SSD sits idle. It doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on a part that will be idle 99% of the time. Instead, spend whatever you saved by not getting an SSD on a faster GPU. You won't regret it :)
    I got a 120gb SSD some weeks ago. It was quite expensive, but it was a great investation. Not specifically for gaming, but for overall computer usage.

Windows boots in less then 10 seconds. Every program I launch is instantly ready.

While playing some games I noticed some more positive effects:
    Battlefield 3: The time it takes to load between mapchanges is extremely shortened.
    Heroes of Newearth: After the character selection, when the loading bars for all the players appear, I'm always first. Same for WC3.
    WoW: Teleporting into instances or new zones is alot faster now.

These were just some examples I noticed.

I guess Diablo 3 could also profit from an SSD. I could imagine that load times between switching acts or any other place where data needs to be loaded from the hard drive could be greatly reduced. Ok, that's obvious.. but whatever. I really enjoy my SSD and would suggest to buy one if you got some spare money.
    SSDs in general are very much worth the cost. Some games you'll really notice a difference, mostly games with longer loading times by default, the thing with Diablo III is the load times are already pretty short so you won't notice a massive difference, that being said your PC will feel quicker in general and honestly I couldn't go back to using a standard HDD and I'm only using an old school SSD, the newer ones are even better.
    The question isn't why do I kill. The question is, why I don't kill everybody.
    Fellow Diablo fans!

Im gonna make my diccision now, but i first want to thank you all for the conscructive reply's!
    Hope to see you ingame soon or somewere else on the forums :D

Kind regards,

Ancile
    As a somewhat intel hater, except their CPUs, I'm gonna go ahead and say that you should stay away from Intel SSDs.

The reason I'm doing this is because you pay 10 times the price and you get a very slow SSD.

The SSD I bought was the brand OCZ. Some of you might remember the blue screen bug they had, but they have been fixed with a firmware update and all new SSDs will be sold with it. This brand is only making SSDs and they are cheap, aswell as the speed of them are VERY good.

My experience with the SSD:

IT IS BY FAR, THE BEST THING I'VE GOT IN MY COMPUTER! It is worth the format C. Rebooting your computer will take 10-15 seconds, installing drivers, games and other things will not take forever like sometimes on a normal HDD.

But keep in mind, SSDs arent ment for storage at this moment so only have 1-2 games depending on size of your SSD. I've got 120gb so I've only got 2 games on mine.
    It's odd you suggest staying away from the most reliable brand of SSDs.
    Quote from MrH

It's odd you suggest staying away from the most reliable brand of SSDs.

Their slow, and OCZ is as reliable as Intel is.

Edit: The price for a Intel is high, and the speed is slow. OCZ has a very good price for the performance thats much better then Intel.
    OCZ certainly aren't as reliable as Intel, I don't know who told you that but they're wrong. OCZ are faster though, you got that part right. You've already said yourself you have an irrational hatred for Intel, so it's a little hard to take you seriously. Now please, do some research before you tell me I'm wrong again, it's extremely annoying.
    Quote from Kardax2

SSDs only speed up the load time, which in D3, is already quite short. Once loaded, your GPU does most of the work and the SSD sits idle. It doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on a part that will be idle 99% of the time. Instead, spend whatever you saved by not getting an SSD on a faster GPU. You won't regret it :)

I think you guys are overestimating how much these things cost now. They really don't cost that much more than the std HDD, just a lot less storage. Of course if his current HDD is currently fine, then yah its probably not a smart purchase unless he has expendable income.
    One is never hurt by being given additional choices, only by taking them away.
    A QUADRILLION MAGIC FIND is worthless if you can't kill shit!
    Quote from MrH

OCZ certainly aren't as reliable as Intel, I don't know who told you that but they're wrong. OCZ are faster though, you got that part right. You've already said yourself you have an irrational hatred for Intel, so it's a little hard to take you seriously. Now please, do some research before you tell me I'm wrong again, it's extremely annoying.

Its really annoying how you think OCZ are unstable, which they are not since all they had to do was a tiny little fix like a year ago, that fixed everything with their SSDs. And with that said, it makes OCZ much better then INTEL.

All my sources has given OCZ better grades that Intel. And ever since the firmware fix that they are now rolled out with, theres no problems with this brand.

My "hatred" for intel doesnt hinder me from finding the facts about these things.
    I didn't say OCZ were "unstable", I said they weren't as reliable as Intel, which is a fact. Either way, unless you signed up just to argue with me we should probably drop this.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes