Is there an All Resist Cap?

Hi guys,

Quick question, I remember back when I did MP10, the resist cap I was told was around ~550. Is there a Resist cap in loot 2.0? Like moving speed is capped at 25% so is resist also capped or is it the more the merrier?

Sorry if this has been asked recently, cant see any topics on it.
    more the merrier....stack as much as your comfortable with then go for DPS stats
    there is no cap for resists, just as there is no cap for armor, it just gets diminishing returns as you stack it higher, read up on diablo damage calculation for more info
    There is no actual cap but it gets less usefull the higher you get.
    Quote from Abah

How come?

Maybe you mean that each point is less useful when you have a lot already? Diminishing returns? 80 all res when you're at 100 is a big increase, while 80 when you're at 1000 is a much smaller increase?

But even then, haven't people found out in the past that there's no such thing? That every point has the exact same "flat increase" in Effective HP?
    I'm not sure about AR, but having ~14k armor results in ~80% damage mitigation. If those stats have similar diminishing returns, I guess that's your answer.

Personally, I aim at ~70% mitigation when playing T5-6. For T2-4 I aim at the highest DPS possible, since your mitigation is irrelevant if you melt stuff in 1-2 seconds.
    Last edited by Kjalar: 3/18/2014 4:41:31 AM
    Yes, effective HP is growing about linear for high all resists stats. Probably more effective to get Vitality + Life% after a certain point, but it is surely never bad to get all resists.
    Thanks guys, you been very helpful.

I think ill try balance out my resist with HP so I got a good healthy dose of both. I finally reached Paragon 100 last night (well now im 102) so I feel pretty ready for RoS and 260mil saved. I wanna level through T2 or T3 in RoS but who knows if it gets far more difficult at lvl 61? As long as I can level up through Torment i'll be happy cause i want those Torment only legendaries :) Especially the legendary potions.
    shaggy posted a nice picture in the other thread that had the same question:

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-general-forums/diablo-iii-general-discussion/82797-damage-reduction-cap-any-answers?comment=4

About difficulty @level 61: you won't notice a change going from 60 to 61, but it will slowly become more difficult as you get towards 70. I had to switch to some rare "tanky" gear at level 67/68, but also because the later parts of act 5 are tougher than the beginning. And of course once you hit 70 you need to get rid of life steal... and definitely get more toughness (for T1/T2 on 70 you want millions of toughness, anything between 4m and 12m depending on class, spec, playstyle).
    Quote from Zero(pS)
    Quote from Abah

How come?

Maybe you mean that each point is less useful when you have a lot already? Diminishing returns? 80 all res when you're at 100 is a big increase, while 80 when you're at 1000 is a much smaller increase?

But even then, haven't people found out in the past that there's no such thing? That every point has the exact same "flat increase" in Effective HP?

the damage reduction % isnt linear per point of all res. as you get higher, the % increase becomes lower per point of all res. its how diminishing return works. the "toughness" and "damage" numbers on the sheet are often very inaccurate and cant be taken for face value. ie: you could stack poison resist for days on a class other than monk, and its still going to scale your general "toughness" number, while it doesnt really give that much of a bonus to eHP.

i dont think at any point that "~550" was some sort of cap, even during our MP times. maybe you could generally say 550 was a comfortable spot for most with life steal having a higher value back then, thus creating an "offensive defense".

in a nut shell, you will generally want as much as you can get for higher Torment levels, but keep in mind of holding a good ratio of all res : health as well. with that being said, find your personal "comfort spot" and stop there. no point in stacking more than what you need to survive. focus on more damage output at that point.
    I didn't mean Toughness as in the sheet dps. I meant actual Effective HP.

While the actual "percentage reduction" is affected by diminishing returns, the boost in effective HP is linear from what I remember. As in you gain as much "flat" effective-HP by getting 80 all res, and it doesn't matter how much you had before.

Something along those lines... I can't remember why that is the info stored in my memory, I just remember seeing a theorycrafting thread about this waay back, demystifying the idea that all res suffers from diminishing returns. We'd need a theorycrafter though to explain in layman terms if that's correct :P
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes