Nephalem Valor removed in RoS

I had totally missed this :o

Does anyone know if i can read about it somewhere? And what are the reasons for removing it?
    Front page news here on DFans. The top story is about this subject.
    Quote from maka

Yeah that is how i found out man:) but it does not say why they want to remove it or am i missing something?
    i found it when i read it more thorougly! Sry for stupid post:p
    Quote from skritsarn

Quote from maka

Yeah that is how i found out man:) but it does not say why they want to remove it or am i missing something?

Like maka said, the top story is about this subject and contains all the evidence we have so far. Here's Blizzard's justification, summarized on Reddit by a community member who attended the Q&A at Blizzcon:

Originally Posted by (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

The 3rd topic: Nephalem Valor. The current thinking that they are having is that Nephalem Valor is going to go away. They don't see the benefits that it brought to the game to be relevant anymore. The largest reason they put it in, according to Wyatt, was to prevent people from doing 30 second runs as being the most efficient way to play the game. Now, with the addition of Bounties tied into Adventure Mode, 30 second runs won't exist and simply won't be efficient. He also said that they don't like the idea of people having to do a 15-20 minute "warm up session" before they can really start playing the game. Skill changing has been changed a little bit as well. Changing skills no longer incurs a cooldown on that skill, but you still cannot change skills while they are on cooldown. You cannot change skills while considered to be "in combat" and for about 15 seconds after combat ends.

There are also two recent topics discussing this:
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/105785-major-news-ros-mf-changes-nv-removed/
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/105689-nv/
    The 'funny' think is that they stated multiple times in the past that Diablo "does not differentiate between 'in combat' and 'out of combat'".
    Quote from maka

The 'funny' think is that they stated multiple times in the past that Diablo "does not differentiate between 'in combat' and 'out of combat'".

Maybe they changed it in 1.08 when they added the new mini-map icons and the floating sheilds over out banners in town. But i'm better it the game always knew, not quite sure why they would lie about it though.
    Quote from Bernie_666

Quote from maka

Maybe they changed it in 1.08 when they added the new mini-map icons and the floating sheilds over out banners in town. But i'm better it the game always knew, not quite sure why they would lie about it though.

I thought the blue quote mentioning "in combat" was about changes made for RoS and not about how the game is right now, but I might be wrong.
    Quote from Vulmio

Quote from Bernie_666

Quote from maka

I thought the blue quote mentioning "in combat" was about changes made for RoS and not about how the game is right now, but I might be wrong.

It's related to changes in RoS, but the change isn't that "Diablo now differentiates between 'in combat' and 'outside combat'".
    It is simply said that "You cannot change skills while considered to be "in combat" and for about 15 seconds after combat ends", as if that "in combat" notion has always existed in the the game. It has not, and they have 'shot down' many ideas since launch precisely because that notion didn't exist.
    "In combat" has to exist in the game. When you are in town you see shields above a players banner when they are fighting. Like someone above said it probably came in 1.08.
    Quote from maka

Stop trying to make this a thing. It's not working. :)

Ha. Bagstone.

I'm in favor of removing NV, it served its purpose and it's not needed in RoS. The quit->rejoin spam tactics are already not a problem if they just provide a bonus for clearing multiple bounties in one game, which IIRC they're already doing with the Rift keys. And skill switching resetting NV has always been obnoxious for normal players who are just trying to experiment with their build. The cooldowns they already have in place are enough to prevent real abuse IMO.
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from maka

Especially because I don't ever remember blue posts or developer interviews where they actually denied that "in combat" exists. I remember many fans responding to any suggestions involving "in combat" with "This isn't WoW, there is no 'in-combat', go back to your pet battles." If you're going to accuse them of this over and over every chance you get, provide some proof?
    No, they did hold a stance that there's no mechanical concept of 'in combat'. But I don't think it's nearly as important as Maka wants it to be.

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from overneathe

No, they did hold a stance that there's no mechanical concept of 'in combat'. But I don't think it's nearly as important as Maka wants it to be.

Yeah, at some point i remember them saying diablo has no real "in combat" but obviously it has something of the sort since we see when players are in combat in town, hell even goblins, so i think it's something added later or some other trick they use that's not really "in combat" as wow, but more like if you have taken or dealt dmg in the last x seconds you are considered to be in combat.
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
    Quote from RMrulz

Quote from overneathe

Quote from maka

Especially because I don't ever remember blue posts or developer interviews where they actually denied that "in combat" exists. I remember many fans responding to any suggestions involving "in combat" with "This isn't WoW, there is no 'in-combat', go back to your pet battles." If you're going to accuse them of this over and over every chance you get, provide some proof?

Do you know how hard it is to find 1-year-old+ blue quotes? I know what I saw, and I don't have to prove shit to you.

Quote from overneathe

RMrulz, there you have it.
    I'm in favor of this decision.
    It was forcing us to farm unefficienty in zones like festering woods only to get the NV stacks, then go in the zones that really matter, like Fileds of misery or Weeping Hallow.
    And when you were farming ubers you needed to pay attention to your NV stacks duration, so you woudn't accidentaly kill any bosses when the buff already expired.
    It's a welcome change
    I don't think they ever said they "couldn't code" said mechanic into the game.

In the context that it was said, they meant that by its very nature of being an ARPG where you're fighting monsters 99% of the time, making "in combat" and "out of combat" stances didn't make sense. Not only it was very counter intuitive and would require some sort of "timer" or debuff/buff on the player, but it was hard to communicate to any players who didn't have a background in MMORPGs (without having another one of those dumb pop-up tutorial messages), and it was pretty much pointless at that time.

There's a better explanation about this in that "health globe panel" (can't remember where it was, I think it was Gamescon).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes