Shield users!

Are there any news regarding shield users? I want my 50%dr, 43% br stormshields warior to be usefull.. I hate how the game is dedicated for DPS only...

edit:

The existing problem of shield users is that they will never get even close to DPS oriented characters in terms of farming. I would like to see some balance between this. Maybe add some "taunts" and complicate elite fights so that in teamplay the shield users will have the advantage.

They can add many passive bonuses that add MORE and MORE defensive stats, but what they should do is add some "Skills on Block" like Revenge is now skill on hit with some realy powerfull weapon %dmg (like 900%-1300%) - lets not forget that monk got 1200%wpdmg skill that is spammable so this is not some fairy tells.

What i would like to see is that:

DPS oriented barbarian is doing his WW and slashesh thru mobs, then he finds elites, he fight them but the mechanics of the fights are so complicated it's just simply not enough to go in circles and he dies 2-3 times losing his time.

Shield user is not so fast, but when he faces elites he WON'T die and make the farm time EVEN between him and dps oriented barbarian.
    Erm....Crusader???
    Of course there is. With the reduction of healing from gear and skills coming up in RoS, it'll be more important to stack up avoidance stats again. In other words, resistances, dodge and block will become more important again, at least to a certain degree. We will have to wait and see how it pans out. This planned shift to more tactical gearing and gameplay will be amplified for HC as well. Within the realm of SC however, DPS will always trump survivability, simply because death is relatively meaningless. RoS won't turn the formula on its head, but it may make it a more viable approach again.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    Big fan of using shields myself (in HC). The upcoming Crusader is able to wield a 2 hander with a shield but with a movement penalty. Keen to test this out when the expansion becomes available assuming they dont change the skills.

Currently shields for Barbs are rather interesting as most people tend to go with a stormshield - good ones I've found tend to be rather expensive in HC.

However, you may like to consider buying a high critical rare shield instead as they can offer similar or even greater amounts of effective health points. That's a defence that imo is more reliable that using luck with stormshields block. The %decrease affixes with the stormshield are imo wasted slots that are better replaced with a high %hp + VIT that can be found with a rare.
    Quote from ghostwheel

Big fan of using shields myself (in HC). The upcoming Crusader is able to wield a 2 hander with a shield but with a movement penalty. Keen to test this out when the expansion becomes available assuming they dont change the skills.

Currently shields for Barbs are rather interesting as most people tend to go with a stormshield - good ones I've found tend to be rather expensive in HC.

However, you may like to consider buying a high critical rare shield instead as they can offer similar or even greater amounts of effective health points. That's a defence that imo is more reliable that using luck with stormshields block. The %decrease affixes with the stormshield are imo wasted slots that are better replaced with a high %hp + VIT that can be found with a rare.

Looking forward to that 1-handed 2-hander Crusader passive as well. I have a Messerschmidt's Reaver with almost 500 Strength and 400 Vitality, and a Grandfather, hanging out in my stash waiting to try them out. If they work to some extent, it might be to my benefit to spend some of his starting Paragon Points on Attack Speed to cover the AS reduction the passive brings about.

But yeah, making Shields viable sounds really fun. Looking forward to seeing some cool builds come out of it all.
    Pre AH-shutdown Transcendence/Spirit (Re)gen build, uses only found and crafted gear and gems, can handle MP7.
    Well you have all these datamined legendary item effects, some of them seem pretty awesome.

- Blocking an attack Freezes the attacker.
    - Blocks have a chance of summoning a hell hound.
    - Blocked attacks heal you and your allies for the amount blocked.
    - Gain 15% increased damage for 3 seconds after blocking an attack.
    - You take 50% [less] damage from blocked attacks.
    - When you block an attack, gain 100% chance to also block the next 2 attacks.
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
    Quote from Kallizk

Well you have all these datamined legendary item effects, some of them seem pretty awesome.

- Blocking an attack Freezes the attacker.
    - Blocks have a chance of summoning a hell hound.
    - Blocked attacks heal you and your allies for the amount blocked.
    - Gain 15% increased damage for 3 seconds after blocking an attack.
    - You take 50% [less] damage from blocked attacks.
    - When you block an attack, gain 100% chance to also block the next 2 attacks.

Well, this looks fun, but that ain't the problem.

The existing problem of shield users is that they will never get even close to DPS oriented characters in terms of farming. I would like to see some balance between this. Maybe add some "taunts" and complicate elite fights so that in teamplay the shield users will have the advantage.

They can add many passive bonuses that add MORE and MORE defensive stats, but what they should do is add some "Skills on Block" like Revenge is now skill on hit with some realy powerfull weapon %dmg (like 900%-1300%) - lets not forget that monk got 1200%wpdmg skill that is spammable so this is not some fairy tells.

What i would like to see is that:

DPS oriented barbarian is doing his WW and slashesh thru mobs, then he finds elites, he fight them but the mechanics of the fights are so complicated it's just simply not enough to go in circles and he dies 2-3 times losing his time.

Shield user is not so fast, but when he faces elites he WON'T die and make the farm time EVEN between him and dps oriented barbarian.
    barbs get a new Talent. sword and board.

with this it might become very competetive to use a shield. (since all other infinite resource Generators Kind of get nerfed to the ground)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes