What do you call the nephalem that you play?

Poll: What word do you use to desribe the nephalem you play?

Player names

What word do you use to desribe the nephalem you play? - Single Choice

• Other 11.9%
  • Hero 11.9%
  • Toon 4.8%
  • Character 71.4%
    Hey boys and girls here on Diablofan!

I'm interested in knowing what you call your nephalem? Do you say character, hero or toon? Or maybe something else? Why do you use a certain word to describe the heroes of sanctuary that you play as. This applies to other games besides Diablo too!

Yarr, good voting landcrabs! :pirate:
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Toon = MMORPG character, e.g. WoW, Guild Wars, etc.
    Hero = Playable RTS character (WarCraft, StarCraft); refer specifically to characters of lore

Character = Umbrella term, therefore never incorrect
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    That depends on if I am using English or Norwegian.
    In English I usually end up using "character" or simply by the characters name or class.
    I use both Character and Toon, but the former is used more often.
    I personally probably say "character", but mostly referring to whatever class I'm playing because I'm switching frequently, so rather something like "my wizard, my monk, ..." or so.

Toon = MMORPG character, e.g. WoW, Guild Wars, etc.

Although I don't use it personally, toon is not limited to MMORPGs. It's just some kind of discussion that popped up at some point and people that didn't like it wanted to take the higher ground. But "toon" was being used for RPG characters long before MMORPGs were even invented. There are many theories about the origins of the word toon; the one that's quite obvious would be the role-playing game with the same name, Toon. There's a very good write-up about the history on Stackexchange.

Anyways, everyone has different connotations when using certain phrases. If I use the word "toon" for any of my characters, it would be more a toy character, one I don't really care about and just mess up his skills and might even eventually dispose of. My main character would rather be "character", I wouldn't use the word hero as it kinda implies something that he isn't. Everyone who ever played Diablo 1 (and didn't forget what he saw in the final cinematic) wouldn't name any of his Diablo characters a "hero" because he knows that eventually he might turn into an anti-hero to save the world from all evil.

By the way, while we're talking about terminology: I fucking hate it if people say "kk" for million. It just makes me cringe. Another thing that is sometimes swapping over from some lesser MMORPGs into the Diablo universe. Should be purged immediately. Kill on sight.
    I would say the term "toon" rose to prominence because of MMORPGs. If you're playing a single-player offline RPG... well, you're not really talking to anyone about your toon/hero/character much, are you? :P

For all I know, they used to be called avatars.

Let's all say avatars instead. It just sounds so much cooler.
    Hero: Starcraft, Warcraft (3), DotA, etc.
    Champion: LoL
    Toon: I never use that but I guess it comes from MMO.

Character: Diablo.

Let's all say avatars instead. It just sounds so much cooler.

Now, avatar is probably the one term that we can say is just wrong, if you go by the word's origin. It implies a graphical representation of yourself in digital (mostly cartoon-ish) form. Are you a female wizard in real life? I don't think so. ;-)

Maybe you like it because you like the TV series? Dunno. Avatar is your forum pic. That's the only time i would use that term.
    Character/Char for my main character. Alt for the remaining characters.
    Bandyto#2350
    EU
    @Bagstone - No, I just like the word for how it sounds...

And yes, it makes no sense for these games to use avatar instead of character, but the masses can influence the change in word definitions!

@Bagstone - No, I just like the word for how it sounds...

And yes, it makes no sense for these games to use avatar instead of character, but the masses can influence the change in word definitions!

Why should the masses influence the change in this word definition? Because it sounds cooler? Very reasonable.
    Bandyto#2350
    EU

By the way, while we're talking about terminology: I fucking hate it if people say "kk" for million. It just makes me cringe. Another thing that is sometimes swapping over from some lesser MMORPGs into the Diablo universe. Should be purged immediately. Kill on sight.

If you bring the torches, I'll bring the pitchforks!
    I usually just think of mines as characters :)
    Character/Char/Main/Alt
    sto lavorando
    It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm talking to my friends face to face, and about D3, or WoW, I'll say the class, like 'man my DH is so below average dps!'

If I'm typing on the interwebs like on here, I'll call them toons.

If I'm playing starcraft, they become 'my guys', and / or the unit they are.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    I call them characters. Simple and to the point. I dont even know how toon orginated. It just sounds silly to me.
    Mostly Character.

But I really couldn't care less about how people call their toons :P
    I call my wizards - Wizz (expect my main wizard who I do call Wizzhard - he goes toilet a lot)
    I call my barbarians - Barb
    I call my monks - Monk
    I call my Demon hunters - Demon hunter /DH
    I call my Witch doctors - Witch doctor /WD

I prefer "dude" or "Lil dude".
    BurningRope#1322
    If I'm playing starcraft, they become 'my guys'
    Someone obviously doesn't play Zerg :D

OT : I usually call my characters by what class they are (as I do not have several characters of one class) "my wizard", "my monk"...
    Used to do the same for WoW : "my shaman", "my druid" ... except for my priests which I called by their name asI had 2 of these.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes