Arreat Crater Level 2 not effective anymore

Not only monsters were nerfed in Arreat Crater Level 2 but pathing also. Now you're not guaranteed to have only one path from start to end, instead there're crossroads that doesn't let you farm it efficiently. So I think it's time to say goodbye to act3, now act1 is overpowered compared to act3.
    Pathing has always been like this in Crater. I've had detours of more than 10 terrain blocks in just one direction that don't lead to an exit.
    Arreat crater 2 has never been a straight path.... put what always was the same was the exit in the northeast corner.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Nah, I've had it southeast as well. Always on the right side of the map, that's the only definite thing.
    I've run this map hundreds if not thousands times before patch. I know every inch of it. You always could run through all map parts to reach end without running same place/road twice. Unlike Core Arreat Level 1 that got awful pathing.

For example next map part after start, that you enter at left (look at pic). It has outputs top and right. Before, top output was directed to small closed circle ALWAYS 100% of time. So you never had to run there, the next map part towards end was always on the right.

So now I'm running to right and wondering wtf where am I, I don't recognize this part and it was dead end. But this is not even mentioned in patch notes.
    Quote from bbq1234

I've run this map hundreds if not thousands times before patch. I know every inch of it. You always could run through all map parts to reach end without running same place/road twice. Unlike Core Arreat Level 1 that got awful pathing.

For example next map part after start, that you enter at left (look at pic). It has outputs top and right. Before, top output was directed to small closed circle ALWAYS 100% of time. So you never had to run there, the next map part towards end was always on the right.

So now I'm running to right and wondering wtf where am I, I don't recognize this part and it was dead end. But this is not even mentioned in patch notes.

It was rare to have a branching but it happened before.
    Nope. I distinctly remember that block and it has about 70% chance to be a small area to its left, which you are describing. The other 30% of times I got exactly the terrain piece that you have in the screenshot. Guess I'll have to make a few runs when I get home to prove?
    I've found this, and it was like this. Every part got 1 in and exactly 1 out - no branching. And now the bottom left part was changed and it appears so OFTEN like core part of this map. Also new parts have been added.

So obviously that bottom left part couldn't have path to end/exit on top because in that case it should have dead end part on right, but there were no such parts until this patch.

Well, I guess me saying "I've ran into that exact same thing from your screenshot at least 5-10 times before 1.0.8" is not enough to convince you. Sadly I don't remember if I've taken screenshots of that piece exactly so that I can use them as arguments in debates like this.

I'll check when I get home. My suspicion is that I haven't.
    I've had this crater 2 layout before the patch, it's definitely not "new".

But just as a side note, this is what you get when you ask for more random dungeons. It's exactly the same thing that I hated about the first few areas in act 3 @D2 - dead end streets and long detours that slowed the game down and imho don't fit into a fast-paced hack'n'slay. No randomness at all is boring, too; but I really like if it's both random and predictable, such as the square dungeons in D1 or the first few areas of D2. Random, but you get some hints for orientation, a guess where the exit might be, and no real dead end streets.
    Quote from overneathe

Pathing has always been like this in Crater. I've had detours of more than 10 terrain blocks in just one direction that don't lead to an exit.

I've never seen anything like it despite having leveled 2 characters to Paragon 100 solely on this very map, but then again .. this might just have been bad/good luck, RNG, differences between servers or just fate.

There's some Layouts that are all new to me on other maps as well, at least there are maps that I've never seen before.

I guess they actually have changed pathing and added new layout-pieces.

If anyone could provide a screenshot showing the layout above or something similiar, this may clear things up, but .. noone seems to have one :[
    PPl find every possible reason to cry... finally we got all acts worth going there, and ppl complain that act3 is no longer viable... srsly?
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
    Technically they wouldn't have to say if some pathing was changed here and there... have you seen the amounts of mobs that spawn now ? i know they didn't buff act3, but still, maybe they changed some of the pathing in act3 maps to make the density of mobs be more clear (and maybe even make some of the maps bigger cause bigger maps will make room for more pack spawns).... so IF some pathing has been changed on some maps, it's probaly directly connected to the density buffs and in the case of act3, i bet it's to make act3 "different" so people still visit the place once in a while and maybe even take a few farm runs there.
    Yeah definitely looks new to me. The branching occured before 1.0.8 yes, but the exit would have been in the lower part. Around where it says 'Heart of Sin' in the objectives under minimap, or further that direction.

It's a lot more similar to crater 1 now.
    Quote from Bagstone

I've had this crater 2 layout before the patch, it's definitely not "new".

But just as a side note, this is what you get when you ask for more random dungeons. It's exactly the same thing that I hated about the first few areas in act 3 @D2 - dead end streets and long detours that slowed the game down and imho don't fit into a fast-paced hack'n'slay. No randomness at all is boring, too; but I really like if it's both random and predictable, such as the square dungeons in D1 or the first few areas of D2. Random, but you get some hints for orientation, a guess where the exit might be, and no real dead end streets.

Agree with this fully.

People complain about the maps in D3 and say many of them are the same, but it's really the ones they run the most, and mostly from Act 3. Damned Tower 1, always identical. Stonefort, always identical. Arreat Core, always pretty much identical.

Personally, while people were running Alkaizer routes a million times a day, when I got to a point where I was solely doing exended key runs, I'd switch up my environments all the time and just head out exploring whether I got a key or not. My favorite places are the larger areas that are often VERY random. Weeping Hollow, Fields of Misery, Dalghur Oasis, Desolate Sands, Silver Spire 1 and 2, never know how those will play out, and nicely...all those spots got density buffs in the new patch.

But yeah, I like how Bagstone put it. 100% "Randomized" dungeons that are basically just moved around tile textures and objects with a smattering of chests, breakables and monsters were kinda flat to me. D1 was fun for that, because it was kind of a new gimmick at the time. Act 2 and Act 3 in D2 were royal pains in the ass for navigation. When I wanted to just move to the next area easily, it was practically impossible to do simply.

Now, in D3, it's a lot easier to navigate when I want to just go to the end of an area, but if I want to just mill around aimlessly, kill bad guys, dive into every dungeon I see, and clear the whole zone, I have the OPTION to either move on to the next area easily, or just mill around as I please. The "randomness" doesn't force me to have no idea where I'm going, but still ensures that I don't always know what I'll come across when I get there.
    Pre AH-shutdown Transcendence/Spirit (Re)gen build, uses only found and crafted gear and gems, can handle MP7.
    Quote from bbq1234

And by "awful pathing" you mean random paths that require some exploring in order to be completed? That's kinda Diablo 101, and it has been heavily toned down on D3.

People complain about lack of randomization. They want no predetermined paths, they want to explore on their own.

And then people complain about too much randomization. They want a preset path because it's easier than "running into a dead end". It's part of the "linear gaming" generation that everyone criticizes so heavily, but love being a part of.
    Quote from CardinalMDM

Personally, while people were running Alkaizer routes a million times a day, when I got to a point where I was solely doing exended key runs, I'd switch up my environments all the time and just head out exploring whether I got a key or not. My favorite places are the larger areas that are often VERY random. Weeping Hollow, Fields of Misery, Dalghur Oasis, Desolate Sands, Silver Spire 1 and 2, never know how those will play out, and nicely...all those spots got density buffs in the new patch.

Thanks, I thought I was the only crazy guy who played like that.

But yeah, I like how Bagstone put it. 100% "Randomized" dungeons that are basically just moved around tile textures and objects with a smattering of chests, breakables and monsters were kinda flat to me. D1 was fun for that, because it was kind of a new gimmick at the time. Act 2 and Act 3 in D2 were royal pains in the ass for navigation. When I wanted to just move to the next area easily, it was practically impossible to do simply.

I think D3 is heavily missing more of those "random" events. Crazy timed dungeons, or things like the "roullete" on Act 2. Probably afraid of using those "gimmickies" too much, they underused them.

D3 definitely needs more of those sidequests - and preferably not only ones which involve "randomly killing whatever pops up". I'd much rather have something that requires some logical thought every now and then.

Now, in D3, it's a lot easier to navigate when I want to just go to the end of an area, but if I want to just mill around aimlessly, kill bad guys, dive into every dungeon I see, and clear the whole zone, I have the OPTION to either move on to the next area easily, or just mill around as I please. The "randomness" doesn't force me to have no idea where I'm going, but still ensures that I don't always know what I'll come across when I get there.

A reasonable thought. What a rare resource even in these days.
    I got both my barb and monk to 100 using the scorpion method so I've ran AC2 countless times and I've never seen that configuration.
    Quote from RasAlgethi24

I got both my barb and monk to 100 using the scorpion method so I've ran AC2 countless times and I've never seen that configuration.

Yes, that's what I'm 99% sure.

The problem about this new thing is that now you have to track back areas that you've cleared and it contains no monsters anymore. Imagine how painful it's for WOTB barb. But before it was top notch farming/exping spot because of it's predictable/pseudo randomness.

Go home Arreat Crater Level 2 map generator - you're drunk.
    I've seen this configuration MANY times, although I don't think I've ever seen the exit up in the NE as opposed to the SE. My sample size probably isn't large enough to be useful, though.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes