Your opinion on "Need advice/What to upgrade next"-threads?

Since many months, I've seen a ton of posts both on the official forums and here on Diablofans asking for advice.

You can seperate them into two categories:
    1. What spec should I use? What are the best runes?

2. I got 100 mil, what should I buy. I 50 mil, what should I upgrade next? What Items should a WD look for?

This annoys and irritates me alot. It's like people can't think for themselves and can't try things on their own. It leads to every character being the same. Also, it makes people going "CM or archon?" and not "any effective and fun builds out there?". I'm so sick of these generic players looking for cheap and easy advice.

Your opinions?
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Ignore them? It works pretty well.
    Yeah, no more or less irritating than repeated threads by people posting their "ideas" in 'wall-of-text' format. Often including a ridiculous use of the posters imagination.

Yes...these things can irritate but everyone has an equal right to post their thoughts.

It just gets a bit ridiculous when we have multiple threads on the front page that are essentially the same topic, only people make a new thread to draw more attention to their specific ideas.

Just try to ignore them if they bother you. They're just looking for conversation and this is a diablo fan-site, after all.
    BurningRope#1322
    I earnestly try to help ones who really seem like they need help.

As in those with below average stats all around, poorly selected stats, ineffective choice of abilities, low budget, etc.

But for those that are well above the threshold in terms of in-game experience (high elite kill count, high paragon, etc.) and gear level, having posts like, " Hi 400K DPS what should I do to upgrade?" Sir, at your level, you SHOULD know by now how to properly gear.

Basically screams "I bought everything RMAH and have no idea how this game works."

Searching for and reading up posts that dot the forums is also highly recommended, but I guess people just want to make their own threads...
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    In general i don't mind when people ask how to gain upgrades, but with that said i agree with Jaetch, it has to be the people who actually need it... normally i don't even post stuff on forums (more of the silent guy) but i often learn alot from seeing what advices other people get.

As for the "how to spec", well... i don't see the harm when people ask it seeing how the forums are flooded with spec guides anyways, so the generic people might look for alternatives, even when asking "CM or Archon", but maybe they are looking for different ways to put together those kind of builds...

But yeah, if you are really annoyed by it just ignore it... personally i visit the class forums and check if someone already asked the question i wanted to ask or to see if some cool gear/spec guide came up that used some of the abilities i had in mind, but hey, thats just what i do :D
    Class sections would be so quiet without them so I'm glad they atleast have a chance to stir up some controversial discussions before some moderator gets pissed and locks it for going too offtopic.

Personally I really hate repeating myself and it does get annoying to see that people don't bother reading through even a day or two old threads altho poorly named threads are partly to blame.

Publicly disliking something without an improvement suggestion is unproductive nevertheless.. :- /
    I really don't mind these threads. Actually, I think my first ever post might have been similar (as a pure tank barbarian there was only limited help available since everyone is just going for pure DPS). I try to help these people in the wizard forum as much as possible, and only by looking at so many different characters I was able to collect all the information necessary to write my guide :-)

I totally agree with ruksak that there are other kinds of threads that are more annoying; I personally don't like the video/stream threads that much (although it got a bit less in recent weeks). And I also don't like some the "here are my ideas" threads IF they are just a recycled version of beta ideas/D2 concepts hidden behind a wall of text. Some threads are original, but for some other threads I'm like "why do so many people +1 this, this is not new and will not help the game"...
    I think Elendiro is not really annoyed by people making this posts, but rather by Blizzard who had such flawed design. It's just plain stupid that out of all the skills available we all end up using only a couple of specs, because this game is all about efficiency.
    I really hope that Blizz can manage to create something which will change the way we play D3.
    I've got a few billion saved up and want to get my barb a bit higher in DPS. Can anybody give me some ideas as to what I need to acomplish this? Any help would be gr8.

Thnx

:)
    "There is no cow level!"
    I don't mind them really and I try to help out on the Barb forums where I can. I've thought about posting my own such thread before because I'm sure there are areas I could improve which I'm not necessarily aware of, but I haven't quite hit a wall yet and I don't have the funds at the moment anyway. Sometimes you are blind to your own weaknesses even when you can pick out other peoples' pretty easily though, so I wouldn't feel bad about doing it. Additionally, constructing good gear sets for certain builds can be a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, so I can understand how people who aren't necessarily into the number-crunching side of things could be intimidated. Heck, I still learn stuff all the time and I'm pretty active in reading guides and threads.

That being said, I do wish people would scan through some of the other threads asking for help first so that we don't have to repeat ourselves quite so often.
    ...and if you disagree with me, you're probably <insert random ad hominem attack here>.
    I also agree with everything Jaetch had to say. In addition to that i'm on here checking the forums so often it at least gives me something new to read/pass the time.

Without all of these topics it would be entirely too quite around here between patches and relevant new info.

I read them with a grain of salt but i do read them don't mind that they pop up so often.
    Quote from ruksak

Yeah, no more or less irritating than repeated threads by people posting their "ideas" in 'wall-of-text' format. Often including a ridiculous use of the posters imagination.

Yes...these things can irritate but everyone has an equal right to post their thoughts.

It just gets a bit ridiculous when we have multiple threads on the front page that are essentially the same topic, only people make a new thread to draw more attention to their specific ideas.

Just try to ignore them if they bother you. They're just looking for conversation and this is a diablo fan-site, after all.

Quote from Jaetch

As in those with below average stats all around, poorly selected stats, ineffective choice of abilities, low budget, etc.

But for those that are well above the threshold in terms of in-game experience (high elite kill count, high paragon, etc.) and gear level, having posts like, " Hi 400K DPS what should I do to upgrade?" Sir, at your level, you SHOULD know by now how to properly gear.

Basically screams "I bought everything RMAH and have no idea how this game works."

Searching for and reading up posts that dot the forums is also highly recommended, but I guess people just want to make their own threads...

These two posts pretty much sum up my thoughts. Sadly, without these threads, the class forums would be completely dead since nobody seems interested in discussing any build that is not the maximum-efficiency, cookie-cutter flavor of the month.
    Quote from Jaetch

+1...said and done.
    BurningRope#1322
    What I get from these posts is that not matter how hard Blizzard tries to make the game simple (and don't want players to rely on websites for builds or gearing), many players (not all of them of course) always try to find advices/help from outside sources. I really don't blame those players, I also like to find inspirations (original builds like the Freeze doctor was fun for example) and even occasionally ask specific questions.

It is also true that all those "What should I buy ?" questions show how important the AH is in the game.
    I find it hard to browse class section forums on here and official forums because of these threads. However as long as they are within reason I don't mind them, I just wish they could be condensed.

Maybe each class section should have a "Post here for upgrade advice" threads. I know some do already so I guess all we can do is promote them more.
    There are a lot of concepts about this game that as an avid player, you should know. That said, I think a lot of these posts come from people who aren't avid players and oftentimes are suffering from a lack of information in game about how things work. A couple of very important areas I can think of off the top of my head is ability proc's, elemental/black weapon interactions, and ability "tics". I don't begrudge anyone from not understanding these and other abilities that you almost have to know something about to learn more about it.

Also, I think that the VAST majority of people that play this game will never hit 500M gold in the bank. With every bit of gold a precious, hard fought victory for most of these players, there is no way for them to know how certain legendaries work or how well the interactions work just by looking at the game. I think that's partially why each class really only has 1 or 2 builds. Not only are there not enough legendary synergies to put focus on other builds, but the cost prohibits the research needed to try other builds.

Lastly, I think a lot of the players who post those threads simply don't have the time it takes to really scour the auction house and are afraid of wasting their money on a bad investment when some time spent here posting a thread can save them some money and some heartache. COULD they figure this out on their own? Probably. Should they have to? I don't think so. Do they have to? Yes, unless they benefit from all of our wasted time :)
    I mean, for the love of Pete, you can't even figure out on the AH if an item is a paper dps/hp/protection upgrade! You can't tell me it wasn't the best day of your life when you found out you can link from the AH and then go in game and click on the link to see the stats.
    It's why we have stickied guides :P

I might go all-out and make an Archon video guide sometime down the line, considering I'm seeing more and more people trying to gear Archon wizards for the pending patch.

Y'all can hear my unenthusiastic and totally apathetic voice, possibly.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Its about getting input for your char. Its not like people buy 1:1 what people tell them to.
    Quote from Hadley88

Its about getting input for your char. Its not like people buy 1:1 what people tell them to.

Truth. There's information out there but a lot of it is tucked away, on one forum but not on another, etc. It's pretty difficult to have a comprehensive repository for the volumes of potential specs out there and I think that's generally why you see people defaulting to simply asking instead of looking.

Quote from Jaetch

It's why we have stickied guides :P

I think the problem is that in D3 there are tons of potential builds and the number of viable builds increases with each patch - Firebats derivatives will be legit for WDs in 1.0.8, for example. What we don't need is a per-build sticky, what we need is someone (or a handful of people) on a per-class basis to monitor the class forums and maintain a singular sticky that, for all intents and purposes, acts as a table of contents for all the builds and organizes them in a logical manner.

One sticky, all builds (even the unpopular ones) can get the same visibility... clean, easy, just requires a few people to keep it up-to-date.

Thoughts?
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes