What about a survival mode?

Hello Guys :) First sorry for my english it might be bad :-P

I thought about how to improve D3 and the PVE.
    What about a classic survival mode?

Just alot of waves with enemys and every 20, 25 wave there will be a big monster you can kill and it drops stuff...each boss will increse the loot, the quality and maybe with some special abilities this would be also a cool feature for an Addon i think.

A good place for this would be A3 when all the enemys try to attack the castle.

so what do you think? how would you improve the pve ?
    My Demonhunter
    I think this was mentioned as part of the "endless dungeon" discussion. I'm in general not too keen on the endless dungeon because as I've seen it in other games it didn't really foster long-term playing any better than the current mind-numbing farm runs. However, if it was a "hardcore-like" challenge which means you have to get some reasonable EHP to enter it, I'd like that very much, yes.

Also, you idea of "waves" and "big monster" sounds a bit like tower defense/hero siege... I'm biased here, I love TD and custom maps like this (co-op vs PvE, not the DoTA crap) in WC3/SC2.
    They would have to make it extremely hard or less rewarding than act farming otherwise this method would be the only method in farming for items.
    If well balanced, AKA, not the best method to farm, it would be nice, of course.

But they first need to address the huge disparity in mob density cross acts.. so, lets give them some time to fix those kind of problems first.
    If they do this, they need to do something special to make it different. i don't know what, but something. Maybe make a queue that randomly throws in a persons character in the "monster" wave to mix things up.

And I disagree with Indimix. Assuming they make it so it scales at least somewhat, I'd rather they do this before mob density. Why? I feel it could be something more people can get into. Not to say they can't do both, as mob density is probably something they'd do in patch. I doubt a survival mode would be in a patch, it'd probably be in the expansion(s).

Now, if it were an endless dungeon, then that might come out in patch, cause probably all they'd have to do is change links between levels, and maybe play with the asset loading.
    Remove gold drops, Remove item drops (except from bosses) and most important remove the XP gains and it may work. Other wise you will have bots running rampant farming the shit out of it for all of the above.

oh and some classes that would be totally over powered for it. WW barbs for one. Stack up on the mobs, and let them feed you Fury, and HP whilst you go AFK with WW Button stuck down with a coin or something similar.
    Quote from TheDFO

If they do this, they need to do something special to make it different. i don't know what, but something. Maybe make a queue that randomly throws in a persons character in the "monster" wave to mix things up.

And I disagree with Indimix. Assuming they make it so it scales at least somewhat, I'd rather they do this before mob density. Why? I feel it could be something more people can get into. Not to say they can't do both, as mob density is probably something they'd do in patch. I doubt a survival mode would be in a patch, it'd probably be in the expansion(s).

Now, if it were an endless dungeon, then that might come out in patch, cause probably all they'd have to do is change links between levels, and maybe play with the asset loading.

You know, you don't have to disagree with me in every single post I make just because the other thread.
    Quote from Indimix

If well balanced, AKA, not the best method to farm, it would be nice, of course.

But they first need to address the huge disparity in mob density cross acts.. so, lets give them some time to fix those kind of problems first.

You're right. Sigma is also right.

I think that a "survival mode" might actually be MORE enjoyable than an endless dungeon (I'm simply not a huge fan of the endless dungeon idea to begin with) but I do think that they would have to take care not to make it a botter's heaven.

My guess is that mob density is going to be addressed in 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 honestly. They acknowledged they were working on it 4 (?) weeks ago. The problem isn't all that difficult to solve, but it does take some time to sit down and calculate what the "mob density" in each area of the game is and then figure out which number they're aiming for, then adjust the spawns in the zones which are below that threshold.

We'll see. I'm guessing we're going to see a 1.0.8 blog in the not-too-distant future. Blizzard definitely has a checklist of things they need to get done before whispers of an expansion comes out. I look forward to their fixes.
    p427 :: 89.1k EK :: 2.47m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from Sigma

Remove gold drops, Remove item drops (except from bosses) and most important remove the XP gains and it may work. Other wise you will have bots running rampant farming the shit out of it for all of the above.

oh and some classes that would be totally over powered for it. WW barbs for one. Stack up on the mobs, and let them feed you Fury, and HP whilst you go AFK with WW Button stuck down with a coin or something similar.

Eh, if they put all gains in as diminishing returns, it wouldn't be an issue. Like, if you kill monsters above a certain rate, the game decides you're not challenging yourself and starts to reduce drops/exp gain. If you're just in it for fun, it won't be a problem. Also, it could signal that it's time to increase difficulty. However, if you're botting, and are OPed enough to walkway, the game could hopefully realize it and start to cut down on gold/exp/item level after awhile. Course, they never bothered doing anything like this before when faced with people cheesing content. For example, the whole "pots no longer drop gold" fix cause people would bot the same 50 yards of one of the crypts over and over. They could have said "if you restart this area more than x times per 5 minutes, gold is reduced by 25% every restart.

Quote from Indimix

Quote from TheDFO

You know, you don't have to disagree with me in every single post I make just because the other thread.

Yeah, but it's more fun. Also, I just agreed with you over on the D3 population thread.
    The Idea of the survival mode is simple.
    and of couse it should be without loot etc while the trash..After every ? of waves when the boss appears it should drop an amount of loot depending on which MP you play. for example MP0 should be alot of yellow stuff etc and if you go higher the chance of legendary loot will gain as well as the amount of gold.
    My Demonhunter
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes