Black Weapon question

Hello

If I have:
    • A black weapon with 1000 average damage
    • A belt with +8% to Holy damage ("Inna's Favor")
    • Boots with +8% to Poison damage ("Zunimassa's Trail")
    Then will my black weapon effectively be scenario 1 or scenario 2?

Scenario 1:

1000 + (0.08 x 1000) + (0.08 x 1000) = 1000+80+80 = 1160 Damage average

Scenario 2:

Once the Holy damage is applied to the black weapon, the Poison damage cannot be applied, so would only be 1080 Damage average?

Thanks

EDIT: And follow-up question: If I found 2 armour items that both gave the same elemental type, say 2 items both with +8% Holy damage each, what damage average would I end up with?
    I don't think they double stack but what the hell do i know. I'm sure the theory crafters will hook you up.
    Of course they both apply. It would silly if one of the affixes was to be wasted.

Aaaaand queue a hardcore theorycrafter calling me ignorant :Thumbs Up:
    They apply separately but additively.

Source: Yeah... that seems about right. Let me get another beer and then I'll think about it some more.
    Think about it this way.

If only one applies, what's the point of Triumvirate?

They all contribute. Even if you have a total of 12% fire damage, 6% cold damage, 6% poison damage, etc. etc.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from Jaetch

Think about it this way.

If only one applies, what's the point of Triumvirate?

They all contribute. Even if you have a total of 12% fire damage, 6% cold damage, 6% poison damage, etc. etc.

Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I don't want logic to be applied to find the answer, because we know sometimes logical things don't happen in computer games. I understand your logic but I could provide logic to work out why this might not be the case.

What I'd like to know is FACTS. How does the damage system work? FACT. No logic :)

Thanks
    Fact is all affixes of that type are additive, regardless of the elemental type. The elemental type only comes into play if you use a skill that has no elemental type, and before anyone asks, physical is an elemental type for the purposes of that affix.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Quote from Loroese

Fact is all affixes of that type are additive, regardless of the elemental type. The elemental type only comes into play if you use a skill that has no elemental type, and before anyone asks, physical is an elemental type for the purposes of that affix.

Thanks

So if I use the Inna's Favor belt (has +8% Holy damage), with this:

Would I receive the 8% boost when I whack someone with it (physical skill that you mentioned) ?
    The boost is applied to any skill you use, regardless of the elemental type of the skill. The only purpose to the specific elemental type is if you use a skill with no element then it applies all the elements of affixes to those skills. So if you have something with +cold damage and a skill that has no elemental type, it will chill a mob. If you use a skill that does physical damage, it won't chill the mob. In both cases the bonus damage is applied.

To be clear, the bonus damage applies directly to your char sheet dps, meaning the damage is applied regardless of what skill you use. So yes, you gain 8% dps boost using that weapon with your 8% belt.
    My Wizard
    Quote from Loroese

The boost is applied to any skill you use, regardless of the elemental type of the skill. The only purpose to the specific elemental type is if you use a skill with no element then it applies all the elements of affixes to those skills. So if you have something with +cold damage and a skill that has no elemental type, it will chill a mob. If you use a skill that does physical damage, it won't chill the mob. In both cases the bonus damage is applied.

To be clear, the bonus damage applies directly to your char sheet dps, meaning the damage is applied regardless of what skill you use. So yes, you gain 8% dps boost using that weapon with your 8% belt.

Thank you for this excellent answer, now I understand.

Thanks
    No problem. It's basically what everyone else was saying, just in a more long-winded and all inclusive manner.
    My Wizard
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes