Blizzard's "Favourite Environment" polls?

Does anyone think that there is anything more to this than Blizzard gathering data / keeping forum users occupied? I was thinking maybe it's to see which textures and tiles to re-use / re-colour for the first expansion or (hopefully) some kind of infinite, random dungeon game mode with a future patch. Has anything been hinted at? Anyone else have any thoughts? :)
    I've never heard of Blizz reusing any sort of assets (except models, sometimes heavily). Would be nice if they do reuse it in a sort of infinite dungeon that you mentioned though.

But yeah, the polls do engage the people a bit while the devs are working on the PvP blog and 1.0.7. Meanwhile when starting work on the expansion they'll know which inspiration led to the most successful Act environment and hopefully that helps them a bit.
    I find it a bit odd that Blizz asked what everyone's favorite act 4 environment is. No one farms act 4 inferno, even though that's where DIABLO is. Fingers crossed they make it more viable so I can stop doing Alk runs.
    The first thing that came to mind when Blizz posted these "Favourite Act x area" polls were that they might be gathering info for something. I doubt it's primarily to get info for the expansion, maybe a bit, as Overneathe mentioned. But I always thought Blizz would implement a endless dungeon for the endgame. I even thought that might have been their solution when they first said they're looking into endgame solutions (before launch - just after launch).

I really really hope they give us an endless dungeon before even pvp comes out. With this polls they got a good answer for some of our favourite environments in the whole game. They must make the endless dungeon with mostly our favourite areas (from polls) and of course just a less chance of the other "bad" areas. After every other map, there may be a mini-boss, or they can just increase mob/elite density in the map itself.

Of course, these endless maps must be random generated, so they might just use the only random areas in the game which are dungeons.

You guys played Torchlight 1 right? It had an endless dungeon, and imo it worked really good.
    Quote from Nikdik

I find it a bit odd that Blizz asked what everyone's favorite act 4 environment is. No one farms act 4 inferno, even though that's where DIABLO is. Fingers crossed they make it more viable so I can stop doing Alk runs.

Because they asked what the other 3 acts favorites were?
    Would be more odd if they didnt ask about act 4.
    Quote from Litheum

Quote from Nikdik

Because they asked what the other 3 acts favorites were?
    Would be more odd if they didnt ask about act 4.

I thought Act 4 didnt matter to the dev team, seeing as how it's way shorter than the other acts and it has that abomination Diabla for the climactic final battle. Fingers crossed they improve it, because the short time playing act 4 is actually awesome

(besides the last boss fight anyway).
    Quote from overneathe

I've never heard of Blizz reusing any sort of assets (except models, sometimes heavily).

Didn't they reuse recolored versions of boss encounter arenas (SK, Ghom, SB) for the ubers?

OT: fingers crossed for an endless dungeon..
    Quote from shadowbane

Quote from overneathe

I've never heard of Blizz reusing any sort of assets (except models, sometimes heavily).

Didn't they reuse recolored versions of boss encounter arenas (SK, Ghom, SB) for the ubers?

Exactly. "reusing any sort of assets (except models, sometimes heavily)". Do you also mean the skills? Well yeah, they need to be the same bosses. That's the idea. :)
    Quote from overneathe

[...]
    Exactly. "reusing any sort of assets (except models, sometimes heavily)". Do you also mean the skills? Well yeah, they need to be the same bosses. That's the idea. :)

Eh, no I didn't mean the skills. I guess I was confused by that comment because OP was talking about reusing/recoloring textures and tiles which was exactly what was done for the uber encounters.
    I don't think any textures will be "re-used". This poll is probably rather about finding out what players like and identify some patterns: do players prefer light or dark, green or gray, desert areas or vivid landscapes, narrow paths or wide fields, open world or dungeons, and so on.

Based on this, they'll design the x-pack (or maybe even another addendum in a future DLC/patch).
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from shadowbane

Quote from overneathe

Not to mention this is Diablo, not a subscription game like wow. They clearly dont put the same effort into developing Diablo, regardless of what they claim, which only makes sense seeing WOW is the majority of their income.

Anyway, I wouldnt care if they re-use assets, as long as the game design fixes some of the core issues of the game. Ubers still feel like new content even though their isnt a single "new" asset.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes