Rollback Duping fixed in Asia!

Blizzard changed the way how rollbacks are done and how items are restored to the account in Asia. If you do a rollback now (e.g. after you got hacked), all items will become Bind on Account. You can't sell or trade them anymore!

This change was introduced to stop the duping of items, which was often done by abusing the rollback system and using it in an unintended way.

Source: https://tw.battle.ne...h/blog/1523414/

Translation (by d3somepage):

We understand that accounts being stolen is not fun, which is why we provide account restoration. However, we recently found a number of cases of customer service being lied to about theft, in order to get extra items. Accordingly, we have decided to update the account restoration policy in Asia to help players, and at the same time protect the game economy. This change will reaffirm our view that fraud is theft, and take a stance of "zero tolerance".
    Starting at 11:00AM Taiwan time on December 18, 2012, all Diablo III restored equipment (including in inventory and the stash), such as weapons or armor, will be bound to the account. This means that these items will not be able to be traded with other players or placed on auction, but they can still be shared with other characters in the account to use, or sold to the commodity NPCs. Note that unless through the account restoration earned gold or material goods. [sic] After the implementation of these policies, as in the past, we will constantly monitor the economic environment within the game, and make additional adjustments if necessary. (Note: once the player account restoration is completed, future drops in the game, or equipment items received through transactions, are not affected by account binding restrictions.)
    The account restoration service is to help the players deal with account theft, and we hope that no one would need to use this service. Protect your account security from theft; the best approach is to ensure your computer's security, and use the Battle.net account security, such as the Battle.net authenticator. Further protective measures cannot be guaranteed perfect because of human negligence; according to our data, we often see many players' accounts stolen a second time, after the first time they were stolen, since they did not take any action to protect themselves.
    The game economy is an important part of the quality of the gaming experience, and any attempt to use fraud to obtain additional items may cause harm to the economy and the experience of other players in the game. We hope to give a warning to those of dishonest behavior, and further strengthen the stability of the economy and provide a better gaming experience for all players.

I also made a video about it, to explain the changes and the original problem we had with duping and rollbacks in more detail.

Awesome ! I wonder why they won't do it for all of the regions ?
    I like the account bound idea. However, that still won't stop the first wave of duping, considering the "originals" will be account bound, yet the "duped" items won't.

Set A feigns getting hacked, A items are account bound, B items are duped results. Set B feigns getting hacked, B items are account bound, C items are duped results. Set C feigns getting hacked, etc. Now three sets (A, B, C) all have the same items.

This does, however, prevent the game economy from further damage. However, it won't stop a bunch of people from having the same items. Didn't watch your video, so I don't know if you made comments on any of that.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    As I understand the rollback system, there is a finite number of times you are allowed to have your account restored (2 is the most I believe), so it seems to me that this doesn't really fix this issue, since the original gear set that was traded away can still be duped in the same method, as Jaetch pointed out, and you cannot just continue to roll back your account to keep duping your gear. It just seems to me that this might slow down the duping process, but not fix it.
    Quote from Jaetch

I like the account bound idea. However, that still won't stop the first wave of duping, considering the "originals" will be account bound, yet the "duped" items won't.

Set A feigns getting hacked, A items are account bound, B items are duped results. Set B feigns getting hacked, B items are account bound, C items are duped results. Set C feigns getting hacked, etc. Now three sets (A, B, C) all have the same items.

This does, however, prevent the game economy from further damage. However, it won't stop a bunch of people from having the same items. Didn't watch your video, so I don't know if you made comments on any of that.

I was talking about that in detail in my vid.

1) It takes a lot more rollbacks now - for example, 31 rollbacks instead of 5 to dupe 32 manticores. So it is a lot more complicated to duplicate items and takes a lot more effort and time. Rollbacks are limited per account (max 2 as someone pointed out), which means you would have to purchase 32 accounts instead of 3 accounts.

2) If someone is duping now, you will be able to identify the source of the duping. If 2 people were the same item ('new dupe') you can be 100 % sure that one of them was the duper - and that's easy to figure out with diabloprogress etc. Right now, it is in most cases 1 person duping 32 manticores and 31 innocent people wearing it, because they purchased it as cheap upgrade from the AH.
    Yep, sorry for being redundant. I'm at work, so all volume's off. I guess that'll help for the people in my boat who are on muted devices.

It's a step in the right direction, anyway. It's not perfect, but I think it's safe to say most people who rage about duping will be able to rest a little easier at night with this news. Now if they can implement this on other servers to prevent future disasters.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    this should come to eu asap
    Browser MMORPG Developer
    Awesome, about time! Let's just hope this gets to the EU and US servers too before things get too wild.

And great video as always Moldran!
    I really like this. I didn't get the part "Note that unless through the account restoration earned gold or material goods." (yeah, I saw the [sic]). Because you can't make gold and gems account bound... but it's a step into the right direction, and by the way the first official blue post confirming the "rumor" of how item duping was done in the past. Tinfoil hats off, please :-)

About the duping example and it only slowing down, but not stopping the process: if you have a godly manticore and want to create 32 dupes, you would use the account restoration 31 times, yes. But one of both dupes is always locked (bound to account), so the only item you will ever get to trade is the original. Therefore, this does not fix the dupes for people who see a godly item and want to share it with friends; however, if fixes the impact on the AH. Because 1) I don't think many people did this on their original main accounts, as they would risk losing everything - and if you buy 31 new copies of Diablo 3, the account bound items you're left with are on an "empty character". So it really only leaves this duping method for friends who want to copy an item for themselves, keep it, and are fine with risk losing their accounts. 2) The huge problem was that many items of the same quality went on AH (see the gem duping period in October). This is not the case anymore, because you will always only be able to put one item on sale, all the others are bound to account.
    Too late.
    I see em duping 2nd highest gems and upgrade em once.
    Quote from Jaetch

Think of it this way. Each of the people who dupe that item though have an account bound item that is exactly the same. WHen Blizzard sees that everybody with that one BIS item just happens to get "hacked", the red flag goes up and they are banned. It not only slows duping but it tosses in an identifier for Blizzard.
    "There is no cow level!"
    Quote from Bagstone

I didn't get the part "Note that unless through the account restoration earned gold or material goods." (yeah, I saw the [sic]).

That sentence should be translated as 'Note that gold and commodities gained through account restoration will not be subject to these restrictions (i.e. will not be account bound)'.

Which is a shame since the prices of radiant star gems on the Asia server were about the same as flawless star gems (~2m) last I checked. Kinda gives you a feel for how bad the duping situation is over there.
    Yea I like this change, and I'd even support it for all regions. The few cases of actual account theft resulting in someone not being able to trade their items later would suck, but would be worth it imo to stop the rest of the duping cases.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from shadowbane

Quote from Bagstone

I didn't get the part "Note that unless through the account restoration earned gold or material goods." (yeah, I saw the [sic]).

That sentence should be translated as 'Note that gold and commodities gained through account restoration will not be subject to these restrictions (i.e. will not be account bound)'.

Which is a shame since the prices of radiant star gems on the Asia server were about the same as flawless star gems (~2m) last I checked. Kinda gives you a feel for how bad the duping situation is over there.

The gem dupes most likely resulted from something else, not just rollbacks. The prices even in EU and US went down to 3-4 million per radiant star gem. Now they are up to 20-25 million gold.
    If I remember correctly, there was a dupe possible that if you sold gems and bought them at the same time, you ended up having them on both accounts.

Now the prices went up to 25 million gold per gem, which is even more than before (despite less people playing the game and despite Blizzard removing non-flawless star gems from inferno). A possible reason for this could be, that Blizzard took a macroeconomic approach and used a fiscal policy to purchase gems themself, to help the market to stabilize again after the duping method got fixed.
    Quote from Moldran

Now the prices went up to 25 million gold per gem, which is even more than before (despite less people playing the game and despite Blizzard removing non-flawless star gems from inferno). A possible reason for this could be, that Blizzard took a macroeconomic approach and used a fiscal policy to purchase gems themself, to help the market to stabilize again after the duping method got fixed.

There's a simple explanation for the current state of gems. A few weeks back, I managed to nearly quadruple the going price of flawless emeralds on the EU AH simply by buying up high quantities of them in a short time span. I literally had multiple stash-tabs full of flawless emeralds. All I had to do after that was wait two or three days for high-tier gems to reflect the sudden price increase that flawless gems went through and dump the radiant stars I crafted using all the flawless gems back into the market, running me a net profit of several million per gem. Even better, when I sold gems via trade chat instead of the AH, I could undercut and still run an even bigger profit because I took out the 15% gold fee Blizzard takes.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    Quote from Ferret

Quote from Moldran

There's a simple explanation for the current state of gems. A few weeks back, I managed to nearly quadruple the going price of flawless emeralds on the EU AH simply by buying up high quantities of them in a short time span. I literally had multiple stash-tabs full of flawless emeralds. All I had to do after that was wait two or three days for high-tier gems to reflect the sudden price increase that flawless gems went through and dump the radiant stars I crafted using all the flawless gems back into the market, running me a net profit of several million per gem. Even better, when I sold gems via trade chat instead of the AH, I could undercut and still run an even bigger profit because I took out the 15% gold fee Blizzard takes.

Huh. I doubt that same gambit would pay off on the US servers, mostly because I suspect that there are more commodity hoarders out there anticipating increases in price (such as those that accompany major content patches) and stockpiling brimstones, gems and whatnot. I could be wrong, but I find highly dubious any claims of unilateral influence on any economy. You must have a lot of buying power.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes