Why should we NOT start botting? Discuss!

you should definitely bot
    why ? : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7414951880
    Browser MMORPG Developer
    Quote from Psychatog

The only people completely clean of dealing with bots is people that have found all of their own gear / sold items they have found themselves..... I'm guessing thats no one.

You guess wrong, of course. And I'm not the only one, I have a few people on my f-list that play the same way.
    redacted
    Last edited by Drainmav: 3/6/2014 6:14:22 PM
    Quote from Drainmav

Everyone else is doing it and making bank.

If a significant portion of the population was doing it; Nobody would be "making bank."
    Quote from Drainmav

Quote from Jaetch

I did not read all the comments, nor the wall of texts that includes the comments and the OP, but I will say this in regards to the topic title.

I've played since day one. Launch date.

I've had eight friends banned because they botted. Six of them were my real life friends. One of them was a real baller and bought a second CE only to get that one banned as well. Another one bought another account to bot and remains undetected as of today. The others quit the game outright.

Bot at your own risk. It's an easy way to gain gold, but it really takes the enjoyment and purpose out of the game.

That's kinda funny cause I've had the exact opposite experience. I guess it just depends which bot people use and how often or maybe luck. Because I've had 5 friends that I know of bot. None of them were banned. Although only two of them did it for long periods of time. In fact one day I got sick of the fact that one of my friends was bragging how much money he made by cheating so I reported him thinking he'd at least get a warning but alas I was wrong. Blizzard didn't do a thing to him. He eventually quit the game about two months ago and made around $8000 from botting all in all. And yes I know 100% for a fact he made this much as I've seen it. He basically sold multiple items for $250 right when the RMAH came up and then sold billions of gold when gold selling became possible.

It pisses me off that even with me having reported this guy that Blizzard still didn't do anything. And it was so obvious he was botting too based on his amount of time played in game. So now my opinion is go ahead and bot. I was so against it and hated the idea of it, but now that I've seen Blizzard doesn't seem to care much I figure why not. Everyone else is doing it and making bank.

I have bot almost all of blizzards games, and let me tell you diablo bans way more than WoW does. I got bored of botting wow and reported MYSELF, the report read something along the lines of "I am botting right now. Right now, at this moment, a computer is playing for me, and will continue to do so for until the servers go down, please ban me". You know what happened? nothing.
    I got my ticket switched to resolved and got that shitty generic "thank you for reporting this" response in game mail. Thats it. Still have the account, yet as I mentioned earlier my D3 account was lost to botting.
    After a couple years of D3 being out, and blizz makes more games, they wont care anymore.... Who knows? Maybe they allow it to some degree for that 15%.... After all, as is with botters, its all free money
    WD - mostly other chars are toilet... my pride and joy ;D http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SirBoneselot-1182/hero/1672627
    Quote from Psychatog

Quote from Drainmav

Quote from Jaetch

I did not read all the comments, nor the wall of texts that includes the comments and the OP, but I will say this in regards to the topic title.

I've played since day one. Launch date.

I've had eight friends banned because they botted. Six of them were my real life friends. One of them was a real baller and bought a second CE only to get that one banned as well. Another one bought another account to bot and remains undetected as of today. The others quit the game outright.

Bot at your own risk. It's an easy way to gain gold, but it really takes the enjoyment and purpose out of the game.

That's kinda funny cause I've had the exact opposite experience. I guess it just depends which bot people use and how often or maybe luck. Because I've had 5 friends that I know of bot. None of them were banned. Although only two of them did it for long periods of time. In fact one day I got sick of the fact that one of my friends was bragging how much money he made by cheating so I reported him thinking he'd at least get a warning but alas I was wrong. Blizzard didn't do a thing to him. He eventually quit the game about two months ago and made around $8000 from botting all in all. And yes I know 100% for a fact he made this much as I've seen it. He basically sold multiple items for $250 right when the RMAH came up and then sold billions of gold when gold selling became possible.

It pisses me off that even with me having reported this guy that Blizzard still didn't do anything. And it was so obvious he was botting too based on his amount of time played in game. So now my opinion is go ahead and bot. I was so against it and hated the idea of it, but now that I've seen Blizzard doesn't seem to care much I figure why not. Everyone else is doing it and making bank.

I have bot almost all of blizzards games, and let me tell you diablo bans way more than WoW does. I got bored of botting wow and reported MYSELF, the report read something along the lines of "I am botting right now. Right now, at this moment, a computer is playing for me, and will continue to do so for until the servers go down, please ban me". You know what happened? nothing.
    I got my ticket switched to resolved and got that shitty generic "thank you for reporting this" response in game mail. Thats it. Still have the account, yet as I mentioned earlier my D3 account was lost to botting.

Not sure if I should cry or laugh. :D well obviously laughed.

Anyway, I can totally understand botting, yet I dont like anyone doing it, because it affects AH so much.
    Great to see several thousand "botters" get banned in the last couple of days. Well done Blizz.
    The bots who do it for profit know what they are doing. they have anti-warden apps running. They have bought the account just to bot with. They will not get caught. the also are very unlikely to help you from not getting caught.

You, you are an honest player. You are unsure of what proper steps need to be taken to effectively bot. your account has hundreds of hours put into it. you care about your characters. You will be caught.

This is like crime, metaphorically. Police very rarely catch contract killers, the contract killer knows how to not get caught. Police almost always catch ordinary people who committed murder, because ordinary people just hope they don't get caught.
    LOL @ carebears.
    First off, people BOT for several different reasons and if they wanna take the risk to get banned then who cares?! i know 5 real life budddys of mine that all bot 8-12 hrs a day or so, and they make about $100-$200 a week. they work during the week also. then on weekends we all play and destroy ubers n stuff. 3 of them got banned last week, they made over $1000 UDS each last couple months and when they got banned they went LOLBLIZZARD and got new accnts asap and already 1 week after banwave they are already botting and have made about $100 in a few days and are making more everyday.
    #worryaboutyourself
    First off, I'd like to caveat that I have no interest in or knowledge of the practice of botting and this is a purely academic analysis.

Quote from WhiskeyDex420

The bots who do it for profit know what they are doing. they have anti-warden apps running. They have bought the account just to bot with. They will not get caught. the also are very unlikely to help you from not getting caught.

This is true, although one need not even presume that all botters are doing it for profit. Some players may be doing it because they are aware of how to evade detection and want the game prestige associated with having a bunch of incredibly well-geared characters. The ability to go undetected is inversely proportional to the need for them to have disposable accounts for botting, so I think that point is a bit redundant. Technologically speaking, they are probably aware that evading in the long term is unlikely and I would assume most do keep an account separated from their botting activities.

It is, of course, true that there is little incentive for a current botter to help anyone else bot. Whether their reason for botting is monetary or just status-based, they have a strong motive to keep the number of botters down so as to increase the rarity (and relative value) of their items. If someone is actively advertising how to bot, then it would be safe to assume that person is either attempting to bait gullible players into being caught (allowing blizzard to think they've put a bigger dent in the botting population than they actually have) or simply pushing some kind of malware within the program they're peddling. Either way, absent the knowledge of how to bot, I agree that one would be foolish to take the word of an anonymous third party.

Quote from WhiskeyDex420

This is like crime, metaphorically. Police very rarely catch contract killers, the contract killer knows how to not get caught. Police almost always catch ordinary people who committed murder, because ordinary people just hope they don't get caught.

While this is an astute metaphor, I think it errs far too much on the dramatic and hyperbolic side for my tastes. It would be far more accurate to compare the instance of botting in diablo3 to the occurrence of insider trading on wall street. It's a natural occurence based on the presence of information and the actors who utilize that information are simply acting in their own best interest as well as the interests of the public at large who require signals from major stakeholders to determine whether or not they should invest in a given company or commodity.

The rule against botting is just as nonsensical as the law against insider trading. Neither one prevents those with information allowing them to skirt the rules to realize the market value of that knowledge and the best that an enforcer (blizzard or the SEC) can do is make a show of periodically punishing those who do in an attempt to cement the ethical standard that botting is immoral. Ultimately, botting, as with insider trading, goes on and will go on so long as the market exists (and in the absence of a legitimate market, a black market will invariably come about). The use of resources to combat these kinds of practices are simply wasted attempts to prop up a failed ethos centered around faulty logic.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes