On weapon attack speed and its effect on skills

This has been bugging me since beta, and I have yet to come across an answer. Hopefully someone here could clarify this for me.

If I have two weapons with identical DPS on their tooltips, but one of the weapons achieves this DPS by having attack speed on it, while the other doesn't. Now, let's say I use Rend, which does 700% weapon damage over 5 seconds. Will both weapons do equal damage?

EDIT: Assume I'm talking about two-handed weapons and not dual wield.
    No, the weapon with more damage on it will do more damage.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Yes, but when you use Rend, which weapon damage applies? Is it the weapon whose turn it is to swing? If so, if you have two weapons with very different DPS, and if you do two Rends in a row, is one much stronger than the other?
    I know very little about barbs, but I believe the damage is based off the weapon whose turn it is to swing, as you said. I don't know how a second Rend would work, but from what I've read it doesn't stack so I imagine it would overwrite the first.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids

Yes, but when you use Rend, which weapon damage applies? Is it the weapon whose turn it is to swing? If so, if you have two weapons with very different DPS, and if you do two Rends in a row, is one much stronger than the other?

The best I understand it, your skill will draw off of what your Character detail sheet shows at the time it is engaged. If your main-hand is active at the time, that is the DPS it will calculate from, and respectively for the offhand.

Same deal with Sweeping Winds.
    BurningRope#1322
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6471838456

Says rend is based on main hand only.

https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5200360152

Says it's based on average between the average damage of each weapon while dual wielding.

I'm inclined to believe the first one since I can't recall a single other skill using the second system, and there's plenty of skills that only use main hand damage.
    Ok, before this thread derails any further. Dual wield was never part of the question. Please just assume two identical two-handed weapons instead. I suppose I should have clarified that in the OP.
    Oh, I see :P

Ok, then I think you'd be better off with the slower-but-with-higher-weapon-damage one (better for Rend, anyway).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes