Act 3 farming, MP2

Hi guys im currently farming act 3 inferno on mp2 i was wondering if its worth it? Should i stick to mp0 till i get better gear and say can farm mp4-5 efficiently or should i push to mp3?
    Quote from Kapriel

Hi guys im currently farming act 3 inferno on mp2 i was wondering if its worth it? Should i stick to mp0 till i get better gear and say can farm mp4-5 efficiently or should i push to mp3?

I think the consensus is that if you can move around from pack to pack at a decent speed without dying too often then do that monster power. If you are constantly dying and fighting each pack for longer than a minute, maybe dial it back a bit. Certainly though if you are handling MP2, there is no benefit to going back to MP0.
    hmm yea i guess ill stick to mp2 then
    For me the most importent thing about farming is the clear speed.
    If you play solo and die you have to walk all the way and this can cost alot of time so i suggest you play something where you almost dont die so you can get the speed up
    Quote from RockmanDoom

Quote from Kapriel

I think the consensus is that if you can move around from pack to pack at a decent speed without dying too often then do that monster power. If you are constantly dying and fighting each pack for longer than a minute, maybe dial it back a bit. Certainly though if you are handling MP2, there is no benefit to going back to MP0.

Who came up with this consensus? I mean, I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

To the OP:

It depends on what you're after. Are you after being efficient? Are you are after the most fun? Are you after keys for ubers?

Efficient: This depends on a number of things so it's hard to say. For example, some classes speed up a ton if enemies die quickly (WD, Wizard) but other classes like the monsters to have enough HP to get a few procs (Barbs). For the most part, it's most efficient to run the highest MP where you can still 1 shot most enemies. Certain factors will change that though, like having a low amount of MF (since 25 MF will be worth a lot more compared to if you have 300MF).

Fun: For the most part, running on MP0 is really boring if you have much better gear. If you're after fun MP0 probably isn't the solution. Who am I to tell you what's fun though? If you love mindlessly destroying mobs of enemies, go for it. Personally, I get burned out much quicker when I do MP0 runs (but I get much more loot since it's insanely fast).

Keys: The max MP you can run without dying would be my suggestion here. I like to do at least MP5 for keys or it feels like a waste.
    Well im a barb right now and im fairly new, so im after decent items to sell for gold, and upgrades i have no idea about key farming and where/how to do it but i would like to start :D
    Quote from Ruppgu

Who came up with this consensus? I mean, I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

It was discussed in these threads:
    http://www.diablofan...for-time-spent/
    http://www.diablofan...-105-sweetspot/

And on the official forums as well, can't find it right now. And about the "disagreeing to everything", to me there's almost no difference between what you wrote and the core essence of RockmanDoom's post... => If you die, go down one MP level. (Again, that's more or less consensus)

Edit: Ah well, you can also read it that he's kind of telling him to stay on MP2. Well, then I agree with your disagreement... "decent speed" and "1 minute per elite pack" is too much, for efficient farming you want to breeze through everything.
    I'm farming act 3 mp2 too, but it takes about 25 mins to do the Alkaizer route. Should I farm on MP1/MP0?
    Quote from Giage

For me the most importent thing about farming is the clear speed.
    If you play solo and die you have to walk all the way and this can cost alot of time so i suggest you play something where you almost dont die so you can get the speed up

Exactly. Farming is about efficiency and the faster you can clear a level the better. MP3 is about my favorite. Not too much of a faceroll but lends itself to a decent level of MF.
    "There is no cow level!"
    The math heads are saying that ACT 1 & 2 should be done on MP1 while Act 3 should be MP 0 simply because the speed/efficiency will allow for more drops/xp an hour which out perform any bonus you get from the MP levels.

Of course if your spec requires a bit of beef on the mobs like Whirlwind Barb's, you may want to consider an increase in MP for the sake of efficiency.
    I find shittons of legs there, mostly crap but I've just gotten 500m items <3
    Quote from Ruppgu
    For the most part, it's most efficient to run the highest MP where you can still 1 shot most enemies.

Damn, I need to find the negative MP settings on the dropdown then. I dream of being able to 1-shot anything, even on MP0. :beg:
    I currently farm Act3 MP2 modified Alkaizer run--added all 3 Keep areas, both Arreat craters and Stonefort up to key warden--in about 40 minutes as DH. It is not even close to how efficient WW barb can be but it is very good for me.

I kill elite packs between 3 to 30 seconds--the spread is due to certain packs such as tremors or phasebeasts that are way more difficult then anything else in the act.

I consider switching to MP3 but Im not completely decided yet. I need to time my MP2 run again and compare it against few test runs on MP3. I think that I will be willing to switch to MP3 if the increase in time required will not surpass 10-15%, approximately 6minutes for me.
    I found out that when you can kill most of trash mobs in a single hit, that's the most efficient spot then. Goin lower wouldn't speed it up for you much. Other factor is defenses, if you are dying too much, go one level down. So the best level depends on your gear really.

For me, cca 130k DPS thow barb, it's MP 4 or 5 i feel most comfortable at.
    Gonna weigh in as the minority here, but I like to "farm" on the second-highest MP I can take on any given act. For example, if I am able to make it through an act on MP4 (even if I die like once or twice to an elite pack here and there and the others take me a few minutes to kill), I will farm on MP3. That way there's still somewhat of a challenge, and I can move through the act a little faster. I am personally not a fan of just facerolling the content over and over, because it's more fun for me if I have to think and plan a little on each elite pack. I also think that getting the added MF from a higher MP makes a difference in my drops; you may not have noticed it, but I have been getting a LOT more legendaries and set pieces since I started to play this way, and to me that's what farming is all about. I understand the argument that if I turn down the MP I can go faster and therefore have more chances at good drops, but I just haven't been seeing that happen unless I turn up the MP to get some more MF.
    i would choose my own religion and worship my own spirit, but if he ever preached to me i wouldn't want to hear it. i'd drop him, a forgotten god, languishing in shame; and then if i hit stormy seas, i'd have myself to blame. Zhaph#1849
    I wonder where this notion of "one-hit trash" came from? There is absolutely no way any white mob will die to single white/non-crit hit (I hit with my hatred generator for 40-50k damage non-crit) unless you are on HELL difficulty. I kill all "small" trash in a single critical hit, which can range from 140k to 220k depending on skill used.
    Important thing is to avoid fighting single monsters with a single target skills, which definitely wastes lots of time if you need 3 or 4 white hits to kill it--I have 52% crit chance and still have streaks of 4+ hits without crit.

I believe it is important that you measure time spent fighting and running. If you spend large portion of your total time running from pack to pack, which you will anyway on low MP levels, you should move MP one notch up.
    Sweet spot, in terms of MP levels, will depend on many variable factors, class, gear, etc, however, you should always play at MP where you die little and can kill elite packs without skipping.
    Quote from Zhaph

Gonna weigh in as the minority here, but I like to "farm" on the second-highest MP I can take on any given act. For example, if I am able to make it through an act on MP4 (even if I die like once or twice to an elite pack here and there and the others take me a few minutes to kill), I will farm on MP3.

I totally agree with this guy. It's just more fun to have a little more challenge. I don't want to offend anybody but it seems like everybody wants to play like a robot. Grinding out the %'s like they are doing it for a living. If i die ingame i will jump up or give a little shout just because i'm into the game due to higher mp.
    Quote from GroentjeBE

It's just more fun to have a little more challenge. I don't want to offend anybody but it seems like everybody wants to play like a robot. Grinding out the %'s like they are doing it for a living.

Or some people just come home from work, and while watching TV, trash-talking with friends and doing other stuff, they just want to play a bit of Diablo 3.
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from GroentjeBE

It's just more fun to have a little more challenge. I don't want to offend anybody but it seems like everybody wants to play like a robot. Grinding out the %'s like they are doing it for a living.

Or some people just come home from work, and while watching TV, trash-talking with friends and doing other stuff, they just want to play a bit of Diablo 3.

Lol quite the multitasker :) Obviously i'm not talking about this people. But like i said i don't want to offend anybody.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes