Diablo 3 Damage Meter (Proof of Concept)

(fixed a bug that would cause the counter to always show 0, just redownload)

There have been a great deal of requests for a Damage Meter for Diablo 3 to find the best damage output for class build experimentation.

Back in the Diablo 3 beta, there was a hidden debug UI with a great deal of game data, including a DPS meter (worked just like the FPS meter in the current game). In beta patch 0.10.0.9183 this debug label was removed. However the data from the label is still loaded into the game client, though not used (yet).

Just as a proof of concept i have created a little addon that will grap the Damage Per Second (updated per second) and display it as current and maximum damage.

I was originally working on a median display as well but the imminent WoW Machinima Tool release have eaten the rest of my time.

Do you think Blizzard should bring back their own DPS meter (just like the FPS meter?)

Link is in the youtube description.
    Now this is interesting. I always figured there was some sort of internal counter, but lacked the means to explore the possibility myself.

They should definitely have their own damage meter, available just as the FPS counter is.
    I hope this never happens! This is the biggest killer for any kind of build diversity
    My monk Vin
    Quote from thundersteele

I hope this never happens! This is the biggest killer for any kind of build diversity

In WoW, yes. In D3 perhaps not. Max dps isn't always what's most important... and even if it is, max sustained? max burst? Max single target? Max AoE? If you're talking about a single build that doesn't lose valor stacks you can't be swapping around your abilities too much so whatever you run with has to be able to keep you alive and take on whatever you run in to.

Besides, unlike WoW there isn't a persistent online world in D3. You can always choose to play on your own, and even if you play with others there's no guarantee they'll want you to run a dps meter and post the results to make sure you're "keeping up" (some people will, but then there are always idiots).

In WoW, if you're a dps you need a dps meter because that's all you're responsible for. There are other things to worry about in D3... and unlike WoW's dungeons and raids, it is perfectly viable at times in D3 to run away and wait for your cooldowns to be ready before attacking. *shrug* there are a lot more variables, because you can't have so many people that you can ignore all but one aspect of your character.
    Quote from thundersteele

Well its not about who does the most damage, but about how to make the best of your builds.
    Say you are a wizzard and have a run and gun build and need to figure if meteor or bomb would be best for you.
    You could look into many factors, DPS being one of them (sadly the x% weapon damage doesn't say much about how much damage a skill actually does over time).
    Right now you have to count how long it takes to down a enemy to figure what does the most damage over time rather than just having the raw stats (along with all the other stats that is available for the different runes.)
    Quote from Malu05

Quote from thundersteele

Well its not about who does the most damage, but about how to make the best of your builds.
    Say you are a wizzard and have a run and gun build and need to figure if meteor or bomb would be best for you.
    You could look into many factors, DPS being one of them (sadly the x% weapon damage doesn't say much about how much damage a skill actually does over time).
    Right now you have to count how long it takes to down a enemy to figure what does the most damage over time rather than just having the raw stats (along with all the other stats that is available for the different runes.)

you have a point but dmg meter would go way beyond that and turn into a tool that would pretty much destroy co-op for most players
    I'd love a total damage meter, that tracks dmg for entire runs. But instantaneous dps is neat too.
    It doesnt work for me.. its shows 0 all the time.
    :QQ: :QQ: :QQ:
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Quote from thundersteele

Cookie cutter builds already exist, min/maxers are already well aware of what works and how well it works. We understand the math behind the game, so we don't need a damage meter to make it apparent to us - a meter would just give us a more accurate picture.
    I knew someone would try to make something like this, but had no idea they already had the data in such an accessible way. I really wish/hope blizzard changes their stance on addons/mods some day =(
    Although damage meters are fun, I like to read about the ability breakdown more than damage sometimes. I assume it's not possible to break down what spell did what damage?
    Quote from darkwarrior42

Quote from thundersteele

In WoW, yes. In D3 perhaps not. Max dps isn't always what's most important... and even if it is, max sustained? max burst? Max single target? Max AoE? If you're talking about a single build that doesn't lose valor stacks you can't be swapping around your abilities too much so whatever you run with has to be able to keep you alive and take on whatever you run in to.

Besides, unlike WoW there isn't a persistent online world in D3. You can always choose to play on your own, and even if you play with others there's no guarantee they'll want you to run a dps meter and post the results to make sure you're "keeping up" (some people will, but then there are always idiots).

In WoW, if you're a dps you need a dps meter because that's all you're responsible for. There are other things to worry about in D3... and unlike WoW's dungeons and raids, it is perfectly viable at times in D3 to run away and wait for your cooldowns to be ready before attacking. *shrug* there are a lot more variables, because you can't have so many people that you can ignore all but one aspect of your character.

well said!

I'd love a damage meter myself, as lately ive been more interested in improving my "real dps" rather than the number on the character sheet. That number can't track things like time spent chasing mobs, time spent running away, time spent regenerating resources, time spent charging up skills to full potential (many builds need several buffs going before really dealing the mega numbers).

IMO a dps meter would be great.
    Quote from Bilge
    a meter would just give us a more accurate picture.

In the hand of a theorycrafter or min/maxer yes, but for Joe Average it's just a way to enlarge his epeen. And with the RM-AH in mind this can cause a lot of bias.

Quote from Zrana
    I'd love a damage meter myself, as lately ive been more interested in improving my "real dps" rather than the number on the character sheet.

That's a good point but hard to measure accuratly with mobs not standing together or in line all the time. Best example for the unimportance of paperdoll dps is a tornado/sprint barb, an offhand with way lower weapon dps might reduce your calculated dps by 25% (or even more) but increases your real dps by a ton.
    I would love a dps meter, especially with dmg breakdowns as someone mentioned, but even better would be an efficiency meter. Exp/hour, kills/hour, rares/hour, ilvl 63s/hour, etc. This could allow you to see which farming routes are potentially the best based on your play style and see how well you are doing compared to usual. Maybe even compare with your friends.
    Any idea why it doesnt work for me? It seems to be paused and it wont unpause.
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Quote from Huminator

It doesnt work for me.. its shows 0 all the time.
    :QQ: :QQ: :QQ:

Sorry, i found the bug. It fixed now.
    Just redownload it.
    Hehe, sorry for the bug making it always display 0 when playing at lower monsterpower.

Just redownload the app and it should work.
    Looking really good! Hands down for you, good sir!
    As the code is made available, can the creator or someone else make the program output the numbers to a text file as [time, dps] or something?

It'd be nice to leave the program open and later analyze how your character performs in speed farm runs or uber fights or whatever.
    amazing tool! thanks. BUT i have a problem. It was working great(the fixed .exe) until i went to id some rares. then the tool show some negative numbers like -923379843 and then it stopped working. any ideas?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes