Play Diablo 3 without cheatcodes

TL;DR
    Do not use the AH or RMAH it’s like using cheatcodes in a single player game. Just because they are there it doesn't mean you have to use them. Actually the game is meant for you to not play with them.

Rant:
    I consider myself a dedicated casual player, I've logged almost 200 hours of game time so far sense release. I don't play to break any records but to enjoy myself and have a good time. I've heard complains of no end game, the lack of balance between classes, no build diversity, D3 is too easy, artisans (blacksmith and jeweler) has no meaning etc.

All these problems can be solved by doing one simple thing, stop using the action house.
    • Lack of balance between classes
    “Ranged classes can just spend 500k on the AH and glass cannon their way though the game.”
    What if they can’t use any item beside drops? They would also have to farm like the melee classes. I doubt the item they needs drop way more often than other stuff do.
    • No build diversity
    “The optimal way to play a monk is to stack IAS and LoH, all your skills focus around that.”
    Without the AH you’re forced to use the skills most suited the gear that you find. Because there would be nearly endless gear compositions the skillsets used would follow.
    • D3 gameplay is boring/easy
    “All you do is farm gold to buy upgrades on the AH.”
    If you don’t like gameplay where you’re “forced” to farm gold for items on the AH don’t endorse that behavior yourself. Also if you hadn’t bought your original gear on the AH the AH wouldn’t be the only place for upgrades. Ie you gear wouldn’t be so good.
    • Artisans are useless
    “Why spend millions of gold on random items when you can buy the items with the optimalstats on the AH?”
    Consider D3 without the AH now how does the artisans look, pretty good?
    • D3 has no end game
    “There’s nothing to do when you’ve cleared soft and hardcore inferno.”
    This very few people have done. Also if you want a challenge clear D3 without touching the AH or using quest cascading and other things. In other words clear the game without cheatcodes.

“But if blizzard put the AH in the game they mean for us to use it!”
    Yes and no. In any older single player games you could enter cheat codes to get god mode, unlimited cash etc. Just because you could do these things the games where not intended to be played with them. You would never say “DOOM is so easy, you just enter the word godmode and run through it.” Well that’s almost what you’re doing when you say D3 is easy when you bought your entire gear on the AH.

The only reason the AH is in the game is so that blizzard can earn money via the RMAH, not to improve the gaming experience. The gold AH exists so people get used to buying and selling items before they move over to the RMAH.

Rant end.

Start D3 with a naked level 1 char and don’t ever touch the AH. You’ll have a blast I promise you.

EDIT: To clarify. If you enjoy playing the game with the AH, by all means continue. Maybe you aren’t one who’s been complaining that D3 is too easy, has no end game etc. But I did complain about those things and when I sat down and thought about a solution the AH came up as the root to (nearly) all problems.
    *blah blah blah I want everyone to play the way I would play blah blah blah*

;)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    You promise? That's worth a lot to me... oh wait.
    Drops are so extremely random because you can trade items. Not using the AH means you rely completely on RNG - that may be fun if you like playing lottery or if you're lucky in general but saying the game is supposed to be played like that is complete bullshit. There has even been a CM post stating that drops are balanced around the very fact that items are endlessly tradable. Yes, they internally tested without using the AH, but they still tested in 4 man groups only and with multiple of those you still have plenty trading.

Feel free to play like you want but if you consider spending gold in the AH cheating, how is spending gold at a vendor any different?

Oh, and most of your points are simply false. Without trading it's almost impossible to get the gear for the less standard specs. You're basically locked into the spec that is the least gear dependant. I'm not sure how not using the AH makes farming any more enjoyable either... it'll be slower and you'll find useful items less often. The same applies for class balance, with only self-found items Barb/Monk would've been unplayable past Act 2 pre-patch simply because you'd get oneshot everywhere.
    oh ok so if im a wizard and keep finding barbarian gear dont put it on ah for barbarian, and then buy wizard gear for me, no just suck it up
    (trading is a pain the butt) so lets not use this convenient way of getting class gear for my self.

if your going to complain about ''cheaters' why not eliminate twinkers?
    Quote from paroxysm2010

if your going to complain about ''cheaters' why not eliminate twinkers?

I was looking for a 29 build for my priest twink so I googled "29 twink priest".

Not using the AH will make more diverse builds! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This guy is a genuis. A genius.
    p420 :: 88.4k EK :: 2.45m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    The AH is part of the game and you're meant to use it if you actually want to progress.

Sure you can progress without using the AH, but that will take you... years?
    Not sure if trolling on purpose... or trolling accidentally...
    Quote from Kilo55555

TL;DR
    Do not use the AH or RMAH it’s like using cheatcodes in a single player game. Just because they are there it doesn't mean you have to use them. Actually the game is meant for you to not play with them.

Rant: no one with a brain cares

I am fairly certain that in saying you're a complete and total moron I am about 99% accurate.

The GAH and RMAH is cheating? WTF is wrong with you?
    So 4,5 hours every single day after launch makes you a casual player? Suuuure..
    Barb @ 60 - Inferno DONE / Wiz @ 60 - Dancing in Whimsyshire / DH @ 60 - Inferno Act III / WD @ 60 - Inferno Act III / Monk @ 60 - Inferno DONE
    Quote from Bleu42

*blah blah blah I want everyone to play the way I would play blah blah blah*

;)

This.
    Another one who thinks he needs to enlighten us...
    Bandyto#2350
    EU
    Quote from Kilo55555

Nope, your are definately meant to use the auction house. Feel free to not do it, but I think its a lot more boring if you dont.
    My friends and I got through act 1 inferno shortly after the game came out without looking at the AH. Tried some act 2 but things took forever to kill normally and had to use tactics like dragging elite packs back to town so the guards would help... Without AH or trading, the end game would have pretty much been farm act 1 for hundreds of hours hoping for RNG to drop a decent weapon so you can move on... Or use cheese tactics and farm chests and urns and goblins all day like it's hardcore or something... No thanks.
    I also edited the OP.

To clarify. If you enjoy playing the game with the AH, by all means continue. Maybe you aren’t one who’s been complaining that D3 is too easy, has no end game etc. But I did complain about those things and when I sat down and thought about a solution the AH came up as the root to (nearly) all problems.
    How can AH and RMAH be cheating o.o
    As someone already pointed out, the game is meant to be used with the AH, drops are too random
    Quote from Kilo55555
    don’t ever touch the AH. You’ll have a blast I promise you.

Already did on day 1 and it wasn't as fun as making entire piles of mobs ragdoll like barrels in gary's mod with gear I got off the AH. Flinging packs of mobs like I'm a bored jedi is more fun than playing 60-levels-of-seriousface-progression.

You broke your promise.
    "Anything I say can't, and won't be used against me because if they understood my point, they'd have given up theirs." -Christopher Hitchens
    I think comparing the AH to cheatcodes is a bit extreme.

yes softcore can be almost trivialised by buying gear on the Ah to help your way through.

Try playing hardcore man. You'll have so may near death experiences i guarantee you will say at some point...

"Okay maybe Im gunno have a quick look on the AH"

Quote from Kilo55555
    don’t ever touch the AH. You’ll have a blast I promise you.

Already did on day 1 and it wasn't as fun as making entire piles of mobs ragdoll like barrels in gary's mod with gear I got off the AH. Flinging packs of mobs like I'm a bored jedi is more fun than playing 60-levels-of-seriousface-progression.

You broke your promise.

Yeah some people enjoy playing with aimbots, godmode, endless cash, maphacks etc as well. Others enjoy the challenge of beating a game without that.
    Well maybe that somewhat worked on Diablo 2 ( At least i used to get my own items , and do OK til Hell mephisto to farm more , but from here , you needed to trade many things or you were a little screwed ).

But on D3... It's all about AH , since items are soooooo random, it only can work that way... so no, i'm afraid if you hate AH this much to say this , you are gonna get dissapointed with this game.
    - The Demon hunt never ends.
    Quote from Findulidas

Feel free to not do it, but I think its a lot more boring if you dont.

Although I don't agree with the OP about it being borderline 'cheating' and the AH not being part of the game, I do think that it could be a fun thing to try to do later on.
    If a lull ever happens, some time before the expansion or pvp patch for example, I think a lot of longevity and fun can be had with self imposed restrictions, like the videos of people doing Inferno act 1/2 with only 200k gold worth of gear.

It can be something as simple as "I won't use the AH to buy gear" or "I'll create a complete fire/lightning/arcane wiz and use no other elements" or something even nerdier where you RP a bit and say "My barb only ever dual wields maces" or "My WD is a cartographer in his spare time so I have to clear and explore every area of each map" and just see how far you get and how much fun you can have.
    Sure, there'll be frustrating parts where you'll be banging you head against a wall, but it'll mean you have to think, plan and play more intelligently.

Think of it as a self elected hard mode for people (like me) who are too worried about losing characters to play HC.

Sure, not everyone will like the idea of it, but it can be fun and you can have a laugh doing things with alts and levelling you otherwise wouldn't.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes