Builds visible to everyone

It's easier to become skilled at playing the game than the metagame.
    a build is only as strong as its weakest link, most of the time, those people that copys other peoples builds never really understand "WHY" hes build is strong, and therefor don't use it to its fullest potential.

my best bet is that once people start build it by them self htey start to think, you know use your brain... allot of people don't :(
    Game Designer - Micro Design
    Quote from Wolves_

I guess it's not a big deal but still it bothers me. And yea, it's my ego :ph34r: can't help it.

If someone copies you, take it as a complement. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    :facepalm: this again.... people need to stop worrying about OTHER PEOPLE in a 99.9% CO - OP game FFS. cant believe im saying this but get over yourselves elitist tard bags. "im da bestest and no one can have me build", share the love brah
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Since you assume that nobody can keep a build for himself because everyone is a snowflake there, then why urging people to share their strategies.
    My build is my signature.
    Frankly, anyone having enough trouble that they are going to copy someone else's build is probably going to check a guide and not copy a random player they see online. Besides, I bet gear is going to affect skill choice a lot more than people currently think. A lot of builds will probably only be good when supported by specific affixes and stat allocations.

I kind of like being able to see other people's builds. It means I don't have to ask that Barbarian who just joined if he's using the same non-stacking shout as I am. I can just pull up his build and then swap my shout if necessary.
    ...and if you disagree with me, you're probably <insert random ad hominem attack here>.
    Quote from Youarefired

Your sig is a major spoiler. Rofl
    ...and if you disagree with me, you're probably <insert random ad hominem attack here>.
    Quote from tanis0

Quote from Youarefired

I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, but if they haven't seen the movie yet, that's their own fault.
    Quote from Youarefired

Quote from tanis0

Quote from Youarefired

I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, but if they haven't seen the movie yet, that's their own fault.

Unless you're paying really close attention, I don't think you can make out who hulk is smashing anyways. Don't think on it too much and it won't be spoiled :D.
    Quote from Ain

Quote from Youarefired

Quote from tanis0

Quote from Youarefired

Unless you're paying really close attention, I don't think you can make out who hulk is smashing anyways. Don't think on it too much and it won't be spoiled :D.

Off topic from the original, utterly ridiculous ranting, but the Avengers movie had the lamest villain ever in a movie.
    Quote from notsofast

Off topic from the original, utterly ridiculous ranting, but the Avengers movie had the lamest villain ever in a movie.

its cool, thanos will make up for it in avengers 2
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Even if somone copied my build they'd still have to be able to utilize the same tactics as I do. Position themselves at the same time on the playfield, use the defensive skills in the same way and so on.

If you for instance allow mobs to walk up behind you then you'd need very different abilities compared to what I'm gonna be using.
    Quote from wishedhehadbeta

Quote from notsofast

its cool, thanos will make up for it in avengers 2

I hope so. Never heard of Thanos.
    Quote from Wolves_

I don't know if people have really noticed this, or if it has been discussed, but I don't think there is a way for you to hide your build order from being copied. Don't you see this as a big problem? What if for example most of the people aren't able to complete inferno, but there is this one guy, who has this awesome build, and is stomping mobs in inferno, what stops people who doesn't understand the game from just stealing builds and being in par with him?
    Or maybe my build isn't that awesome, but I don't want it being copied for whatever reason. Maybe I just wanna make sure I'm doing things in unique way or something.
    Currently the builds are soo transparent, not just due to the fact that they are displayed for everyone to see in game, but all the skills and runes have different visuals, and everyone can see what rune you are using. Plus this is just a fast way for cookie cutter builds to be polished and become popular.
    This bothers me, what do you think?

Of all the things to complain abo...... I don't eve....... What?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from abu11

Being able to beat Inferno is 75% about the gear you have or eventually acquire, 20% about your build and 5% about your ability to hit those 1-4 keys better than the next guy.

Sounds more like Diablo 2 (sans 4 keys to hit).

The best part and driving factor of replay value for D3 is the combat itself. The combat will be much more challenging and tactical. Skill will play a much larger roll given that. Controlling monsters and controlling the field to stay alive (no town portal or pot spam) will take a heck of a lot more than before.

Yes, gear is extremely important and may trump skill at certain points, but they are much closer than ever before, so I wouldn't say gear is 3/4ths of the game.

As for hiding the build, I remember back in Everquest when you could block people from inspecting you. Now, they could GUESS what you had based on appearance, but they couldn't really know.

In the end, it doesn't much matter one way or the other. The chances of someone figuring out something SO GREAT and being the ONLY person to find it, thus wanting to hide it, are EXTREMELY low.
    I don't think OP's comment is as invalid as a lot of you seem to be suggesting. There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel unique and better than others. Heck, Blizzard themselves recognise it. That's why you get feats of strength and visually impressive armour tiers and a banner. So that you can boast to other players and say "look how awesome I am".

And I don't know how valid the argument that "gear" is going stop everyone from copying your build is. Don't forget we now have an easy method of accessing gear: the auction house. If, let's say a requirement of a build is to rely on armour with a certain amount of strength points so that you can avoid being one-shotted by bosses in inferno, what's to stop people form going out and buying armour with the requisite number of strength points? If on the other hand you relied on gear which had very unique properties, I can see how this argument would hold some weight.

I think "skill", as some have argued, will ultimately have to be the differentiating factor. Take a look at a game like League of Legends, or even DotA. It's not that hard to copy a build, but being bale to execute it successfully, or to the same level of success as a pro player, is a completely different thing.
    Quote from Wolves_

... what stops people who doesn't understand the game from just stealing builds and being in par with him? ...

Skill.

You can buy the same guitar and amp that Slash uses, but it doesn't mean you can play the same way.
    Quote from dscythe_x

There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel unique and better than others.

There is nothing wrong with being more skilled than others, and recognizing it, but I would have to deny the general statement that "there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel better than others." Feeling unique is great. If you come up with your own build, then you can and should feel unique. What everyone else does is irrelevant, if you did it yourself, that is the only valid piece of uniqueness that will ever be available, not because of what Blizzard makes public, but because that's all that matters.

Quote from Covina303

Skill.

You can buy the same guitar and amp that Slash uses, but it doesn't mean you can play the same way.

Quite so.
    The fact you can change around your skills on a whim should help those that fear being copied and could mislead those intending to copy him. Just because you happen to see him using a certain skillset at that moment doesn't mean that is his true skillset. If you really care that much, you can change your skills everytime you log out and throw people off the trail.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes