Damn D3 got dumbed down drastically

So I finally got to try the BETA and it was good fun, but not as inspiring/fresh as I had hoped (probably because I've watched all of Force's vids + others).

I do know that it is a BETA and I can fully respect that, that being said, here are a few of my thoughts:

- negative

- Hammer of the Ancients is bad-ass/brutal/insane ! But WTF, the barb gets it at such a low level? This kinda kills the feeling of your character getting more awesome at higher levels. His other skills have to inflict sincere carnage if there is to be any form of visual/obvious character development.
    - The fact that we can't choose skills, and that the rune system becomes available merely due to levels is also.. well.. kinda weak, all characters will have the same palette of skills to use. Who stole my individuality?
    - The skill UI is sooooooo simple, even though the game is rated mature, you only have to be 6 years old to understand it. C'mon blizz, we aren't friggin' retards- some(most) of us like the challenge of planning and thinking whilst gaming.
    - Graphics, though a minor issue, weren't as sharp as I had hoped(actually I feel SC2 has better graphics..).

- positive

- Epic amounts of gore & blood (TNX Blizz <3!!)
    - Fast paced
    - Cool areas
    - Awesome effects
    - Great storytelling
    - it was only the BETA

Hope you got something from my short humble write-up, looking forward to release.
    Go Blizz!
    Options -> Gameplay -> Tick Elective Mode -> You can choose skills.
    Quote from ansl

So I finally got to try the BETA and it was good fun, but not as inspiring/fresh as I had hoped (probably because I've watched all of Force's vids + others).

I do know that it is a BETA and I can fully respect that, that being said, here are a few of my thoughts:

- negative

- Hammer of the Ancients is bad-ass/brutal/insane ! But WTF, the barb gets it at such a low level? This kinda kills the feeling of your character getting more awesome at higher levels. His other skills have to inflict sincere carnage if there is to be any form of visual/obvious character development.

Don't worry, there are plenty of abilities that are just as cool. Seismic Slam comes to mind.

- The fact that we can't choose skills, and that the rune system becomes available merely due to levels is also.. well.. kinda weak, all characters will have the same palette of skills to use. Who stole my individuality?

Again, don't worry. At around lvl 15 or so you will have plenty of runes and skills to choose from. Just because a lvl 5 barbarian has only 1 or 2 abilities different from another lvl 5 barbarian doesn't mean there's not plenty of skills to be unique. Each skill will have 5 runes to choose from come level 60.

- The skill UI is sooooooo simple, even though the game is rated mature, you only have to be 6 years old to understand it. C'mon blizz, we aren't friggin' retards- some(most) of us like the challenge of planning and thinking whilst gaming.

It's not so bad once you get to elective mode, but I do agree that it could be more user friendly.

- Graphics, though a minor issue, weren't as sharp as I had hoped(actually I feel SC2 has better graphics..).

- positive

- Epic amounts of gore & blood (TNX Blizz <3!!)
    - Fast paced
    - Cool areas
    - Awesome effects
    - Great storytelling
    - it was only the BETA

Hope you got something from my short humble write-up, looking forward to release.
    Go Blizz!

I think it will rekindle that old Diablo flame that many of us have been missing. Alot of the negative is more than likely going to be forgotten once everyone has a chance to play with the full game.
    Diablo 3 playthroughs and guides via Kagekaze's Domain or Twitch TV
    Come on by and comment on YouTube or chat on Twitch, twitch chat is often watched
    Quote from KageKaze

I think it will rekindle that old Diablo flame that many of us have been missing. Alot of the negative is more than likely going to be forgotten once everyone has a chance to play with the full game.

Exactly, when this game comes out we're all gonna love each other like a bunch of hippies around a bonfire singing Kumbayah.
    Quote from ansl

- negative
    The barb feels really slow and bulky at the beginning. It felt completely different when I started leaping around. Hammer is a great skill for crushing one or two or (if positioned well) maybe a few more monsters, but there are much more omnipotent attacks later on, as well as overpowered cooldowns and shouts. I'm not saying diablo is or should be like wow, but you start off wow casting one of if not your main spell(s) and you still progress and things felt great in the past. Of course you end up being able to use a few dozen skills in the end compared to our current limited pool of 6+3, but you get the idea.

Individuality doesn't exist during the leveling process. Blizzard has been focusing more and more on the level capped players. I mean, if people who are only going to beat normal and quit, are quitting, why do they need low level individualization. If you're not going to quit, get to level 60 and find it there. Proof of this is the rune system that forces you to level high to play with all the skills and abilities, and the recent changes to inferno as its own progression system.

The skill UI is.... beyond ridiculous. No arguments with that one. It's a freaking mess! >:]

And.... I really like the graphics, personally. If the glove fits.
    The strong must rule if we are to survive.
    I have a friend who tried out the beta. He too thought the graphics were bad and stuff even though his resolution was the highest. However it was 1300ish x 750ish, due to his computer specs. Trying out that resolution i agree, but with 1920x1680 (i think) I'm loving the graphics. Just keep that in mind. :)
    Quote from Kildeer888

Quote from KageKaze

Exactly, when this game comes out we're all gonna love each other like a bunch of hippies around a bonfire singing Kumbayah.

+1 Made me lol.
    Redkoolaid -ALL 2 MINUTE COOLDOWNS
    Hammer of Ancients is a standard skill for the barb, not only is it acquired at a low level (which is actually good) you forget that there are many rune variants you unlock later on. You won't even find its full capability until you've unlocked the last rune, which will take longer than you think.

Go to options, and select elective mode if you want to choose your skills like the first poster said.

The game is rated mature because of all the gory blood, destruction, and killing :S A standard skill UI doesn't make that mature lmao. Do you know how the gaming rating system works?

------------------------

Also how are you weighing your positives and negatives on a BETA, and then troll with a title like that?

/attention
    "Just quit and wait for GW2"
    Quote from Ocean

Also how are you weighing your positives and negatives on a BETA, and then troll with a title like that?

/attention

It's a personal view and yes only aimed at the BETA, sorry if the title didn't fall into your liking :).

Thanks for reading & suggesting elective mode - and yes, we shall all sing kumbayah on may the 15th!!!
    I'm not sure why 4 people gave this topic a 1-star rating. The man has a right to his opinion
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    Quote from CherubDown

I'm not sure why 4 people gave this topic a 1-star rating. The man has a right to his opinion

And others have too?
    Quote from CherubDown

Everybody on this forum automatically rates topics with one-star. I don't understand why..
    145 views, 12 replies, 7 votes. Not quite everyone does 1 star. :P
    Quote from Seeder

Quote from CherubDown

And others have too?

When you downrate something it should be because the topic sucks. This topic does not suck.
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    I go into the nvidia control panel, add diablo 3 to custom games, and max everything out that I possibly can (using the beta 300 drivers) and the game looks absolutely amazing, no idea why ppl think the graphics are bad.

Also the title of this thread is Diablo 3 got dumbed down, and literally none of your arguments focused on that. Diablo 3 has plenty of variety and viability from what we can see in just the beta. The only problem that I see is the illusion of people thinking d2 had tons of customization and it's hindering their thoughts on d3 because you can't put stats or have skill trees.
    Quote from CherubDown

Quote from Seeder

Quote from CherubDown

And others have too?

When you downrate something it should be because the topic sucks. This topic does not suck.

Going to have to disagree with you Cherub, the thread title alone warrants the one star rating people are giving it. It's nothing but inflammatory and ignorant, of course it's going to incite some backlash from people, especially people like me who are sick and tired of idiotic (talking specifically about the title ansl, not the content of your post, even though I disagree with it I do agree you are entitled to an opinion) "Blizzard is dumbing Diablo down for the retards!!" posts that constantly come up.

I'm just so frustratingly sick and tired of all the non-constructive, ignorant flaming that happens within this community (yes, I understand it happens in all online communities). I come to this forum to escape a lot of that as most conversations here are constructive, even when people disagree with each other. The fans who are rife with angst and self-hatred that plague other forums either stay away from here or are removed before they can drag these forums down into their hateful shit hole.

Anyway, this post didn't really warrant that rant, but I just wanted to say that. Also, I did not give this post 1 star as I generally never rate posts except for accidental miss clicks. But I still have strong feelings about the title.
    I'll agree that the post title was misleading and inflammatory, however the post content did give a positive/negative view that allowed discussion. May not be a 5 star post, but by no means is it a 1 star post. :)
    Come on by and comment on YouTube or chat on Twitch, twitch chat is often watched
    None of your negatives really seem like negatives... example being a simple skill UI is a positive thing.
    "She's an absolute. Why just this last week I was. Ok look. I'm. Just take my advice." -Ungrien
    Quote from soulzek

None of your negatives really seem like negatives... example being a simple skill UI is a positive thing.

UI's are just as subjective as art. Not everyone is going to be pleased. The truth is the Skill UI is a little frustrating to advanced users at first, but excellent for starting players. Once you spend time with it, it's not so bad, but I still like the old UI for selecting skills.
    Quote from Brenugae

Going to have to disagree with you Cherub, the thread title alone warrants the one star rating people are giving it. It's nothing but inflammatory and ignorant, of course it's going to incite some backlash from people, especially people like me who are sick and tired of idiotic (talking specifically about the title ansl, not the content of your post, even though I disagree with it I do agree you are entitled to an opinion) "Blizzard is dumbing Diablo down for the retards!!" posts that constantly come up.

I had zero problem with his post. It didn't seem ignorant in any way. When I had to balls to write a novel-sized rant post about the direction of this game, all guys like you could do was act like 5 year olds and try to troll. Why? Because I actually provided alternative solutions to things I thought were problems. People that attack the "haters" on these forums just come off as baseless D3 fanbois. It's not surprising that there would be a handful of them on a site with the word "Fans" in it, but I would hope some people would just grow up and develop some original opinions for once.

Quoting blue text as some sort of justification in any arguement doesn't make you smarter than a hater, it just makes you look brainless and without an actual opinion.
    Some people tell me I'm going to hell. I just let them know that I've already packed my bags!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes