This is my first post here, but I have been following the DiabloFans forums since release. Playing since release, my main always was a wizard during vanilla and a crusader with the release of RoS. Now i really needed a break from my crusader who roams T4/5 with perma Akkhan and started gearing my wizard four days ago, moving from Master to T3.
I really would like to move on to T4/5 and have some questions.
I run a fire setup, started as arcane, but got lucky with a cindercoat and a mirrorball, so i switched to the all so popular fire MM/Archon built. I am still missing Vyr Legs and Boots, so I have not yet optimized CDR for Archon, which will come next.
1. Elemental Exposure
As I have read, many people run EE with a Thunderfury, as it provides Lightning Dmg from the proc. Kams said in his thread, that he uses a TF he rerolled to Cold Dmg to hit wo birds with one stone. Is that correct? Does the elemental dmg from the weapon proc EE?
Overall I feel a bit underwhelmed by EE and Thunderfury (that later is decent, see profile) and get higher crits and higher average dmg using a 20% Devastator instead.
On the same note: cold dmg on the weapon, does that one proc the bonus from Cold Blooded?
2. Strongarm Bracers
Using Strongarm Bracers with Black Hole also feels.... hmmm... clunky. I still have some downtime on Black Hole and I might be lacking in target control, but especially feel much stronger o farming T2/3 using Devastator + Heatwave, which produces much higher clearing speed and can be spammed 3-4 times before a recharge. Using Heatwave would allow me to switch from Strongarm to Reapers, filling up mana quickly.
3. Does the combination of Strongarm + Blackhole provide dmg bonus to the entire party, just as Elemental Exposure does? If so, does the strong-arm effect from various sources stack? Does the EE effect from multiple wizards stack?
4. Until I reach 55+% CDR (and complete Vyr) I considered dumping Archon and swapping in Meteor - Molten Impact with Arcane Dynamo. Anyone tried that one out and could share his experience?
- A weapon with frost damage does NOT proc cold blooded. Your damage time is based on your spells, not your weapon.
- I am not sure about EE. Some people yell: "Yes it does" and only quote the tooltip. Those people are not very intelligent.
While the tooltip does indeed say that the damage type from your weapon counts this COULD also mean that performing normal attacks (obtained by attempting to cast a spell on cooldown which is bound to your mouse buttons), with this weapon will apply a stack.
- Blackhole is not used for the damage it deals itself, rather the damage it lets your entire party deal freely while your target's are CC'd. Especially with some CDR the CC uptime is amazing.
- In my opinion, Archon is not worth the spell-slot without vyrs. You're probably better of using Teleport for the mobility (since no archon means no cooldown gear meaning Molten Impact is bit mèèh).
PS: Also very curious about whether EE stacks. Same for cold blooded, the 6% crit from fire, disruption, intensify etc etc.
About the cold damage, I can assure that a cold weapon used with fire skills makes the frost meteor of 4p tal rasha working (every 8 second), then it means that cold damages are dealt on every single attack. We can then say that it works with EE.
- As Limdul said it, archon without vyr is definitely not worth it.
- Also as he said, blachole is just to add some control and to proc strongarm for your group, its dps has never been good, and it's not intended to. (btw, oh god those strongarm)
Regarding your passives, I'd clearly put paper dragon instead of unwavering will, much mor dps efficient.
I also saw that you didn't touch your TF, you could either upgrade the damage (up to 2433.5 dps with maximum weapon damage= +1199-1490), or change %AS to %dmg (bringing the weapon to a maximum of 2388.5 with 10% dmg).
I also see you run some CDR on your stuff, but not using it, is it to prepare the archon stuff ?
To conclude, your stuff should handle T4, the biggest up you could find would be a good stone of jordan of course.
1. Elemental Exposure triggers based on the damage you deal in addition to the weapon type. If it's a cold weapon, it will contribute 5%. If it's an arcane weapon, it will contribute 5%.
2. An elemental weapon will not necessarily trigger Meteors from Tal 4-piece. The ONLYtimes you can trigger a Meteor from your weapon will be:
A - You have Nephalem Glory and the bolt procs. The bolt is non-elemental damage and takes the form of the damage on your weapon. This carries over if you use legacy elemental bonus items on gear with a black weapon. The black weapon then takes the form of the elemental bonus, e,g, You have "Adds 6% to lightning damage," "Adds 6% to fire damage," "Adds 6% to arcane damage" legacy Triumvirate with a black weapon. If a Nephalem Glory bolt procs, you will get procs from Lightning Bind, Meteor Shower, and Star Pact, respectively, at the same time.
B - You use a wand with elemental damage. When you attack with zero AP or attempt to use a spell on cooldown, you will perform a "dry" wand attack (basic attack). The basic attack is non-elemental and takes the form of the damage on your weapon.
3. Elemental Exposure does not stack. Once the arcane requirement is fulfilled, a target will take 5% more damage. If another wizard in the party dishes out arcane damage, it's still just 5%. Max will be 20% on a target no matter how many Elemental Exposures are being used.
4. A cold weapon does not proc Cold Blooded unless that weapon specifically procs a cold effect that chills or freezes a target for a duration (e.g. Azurewrath's chance to freeze).
5. Strongarm's effect is a debuff on monsters, therefore it applies to any form of damage they take from any incoming sources (from you, your party, environment, etc.). It also stacks additively with other Strongarm Bracers. Yes, that means if you have a party of four players using perfect 30% Strongarms and unit displacement effects, affected targets can theoretically take 120% more damage.
6. I wouldn't recommend going all-in on Archon until you get 4-piece Vyr's. I run Molten Impact with CDR if I'm not running Wand of Woh as an item.
And yes, whenever the group allows, I do run Glass Cannon.
Please don't. It's not difficult to maintain 15 yards distance. Use Audacity instead. It's 15% damage without giving up a ton of EHP.
Would this be for solo? In group wouldn't conflagration be better? Assuming it's a toss-up between the two, as it seems to be for most of us.
Yes, in a group, your goal should always be to improve the eDPS of the group, not solely yours. Passives like Conflagration, Cold Blooded, Elemental Exposure, etc. should always be prioritized over personal buffs like Audacity.
Quote from Abyshaii 4. Until I reach 55+% CDR (and complete Vyr) I considered dumping Archon and swapping in Meteor - Molten Impact with Arcane Dynamo. Anyone tried that one out and could share his experience?
I'm currently using Molten Impact + Conflagration Archon (fire rune), with Arcane Dynamo. No EE, my passives are Blur, Audacity, Arcane Dynamo, Evocation. I'm using this setup while "waiting" for a Wand of Woh to drop Archon for EB.
I'm using Frost Nova - Bone Chill + Meteor - Molten Impact + Archon - Conflagration. Basically, hitting an Arcane Dynamo'ed Molten Impact and the big explosion from Archon in a Bone Chill Nova, +33% bonus damage. The impact can pretty much one-shot blue packs in T5-T6, and make a big hit on yellow elites. And obviously nothing can survive this combo in T4 except Rift Guardians.
The lack of Black Hole isn't a big deal, and I don't want to wait for the Strongarm to apply their debuff, simply running into an elite, meteor => nova => archon.
I'm not using Vyr's as I don't want to play Archon with Woh, but I don't have the fucking wand so I don't know what will happen. When I will, I will experiment Short Fuse instead of Archon, basically triggering my burst damage on every Bone Chill instead of every time my Archon is up. I believe Short Fuse + Bone Chill can yield higher DPS (and burst DPS at that) than Chain Reaction but sadly I can't try it out.
Honestly, it's the most powerful setup I can run while waiting for a Wand of Woh. MM + Archon is nice, but adding Molten Impact can clear big waves of trash mobs every 7-8 seconds, and the burst damage from Molten Impact + Bone Chill + Arcane Dynamo makes a big difference.
I was super lucky this evening and got a Woh, even with socket on the 2nd roll and to be honest, nothing else has been such an upgrade. Funny what a single item can do. I liked Short Fuse a lot better than Chain Reaction, because i rather have spike damage that kills, instead of sustained that damages. But I was only shortly fooling around with it for 1.5 hours now.
No luck on the Vyr boots, besides spending 1500 shards on them. Otherwise i got a very nice TF which i am trying to roll one more time cold dmg on and which has a potential to end around 2.4k and a very nice 19/30 Int, Allres, Vita Cindercoat which i am trying to roll 3 sockets.
So there is only the matter of a nice fire SoJ, a better 20% fire dmg amu, Harringtons or String and those elusive Vyr Boots. I completed Firebirds, Tal's (except Boots) but well.
Jaetch, of course I drop GC, i just use it on T Levels which I outperform to get it done even faster. Otherwise, especially now, Audacity.