Returning Player

I recently started playing again, this time I wanted to go for my Wizard - from my DH I still had about 10mil left so I bought those items for my naked wizard: eu.battle.net/d3/de/profile/Ilyustar-2958/hero/7264383
    I started to try it out (never played the wizard seriously before) went into MP5 Act 1 and did pretty good there. After like 30 minutes of running around I looted a legendary and sold it for about 20mil - Now I want to go for new gear.

I really havent read myself into the Wizard (but I'm going to now), what Items do you think are the weakest? What should I do with the 20m to improve my Wizard the best? I think mostly I lack damage to go through MP5.

Thanks in advance,

Ilyustar
    "I really havent read myself into the Wizard"

Do so. And then you can ask questions..

Why would anyone spend time on a person, who is to lazy to read up on his class.
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Okay, I already did:
    I wanna go for around 45% Crit and reach the 2.51 breakpoint.
    With that, my second aim is to get a bit more survivability by increasing my HP to 30k+ and All Res to 600+.

Do you think this is possible with my current gear + 20mil? IMO my belt and my boots are the weakest points, what do you think?

Edit: Keeping in mind that I wanna powerelevel to around plvl 30 what Monsterpower would you recommend? At the moment I guess MP5 is not efficient enough havent checked exp/h yet.
    Seems like you have *not* read anything about the wizard yet. Talking about 45% crit and 2.51 break point suggests you're going for a CMWW build, but then you're talking about "powerlevel" - doesn't quite fit. If you want to "powerlevel", go Archon, IAS doesn't really matter, crit chance should roughly be a tenth of your crit damage, and you are fine with ~30k HP and less than 600 AR. Also, "efficiency" doesn't scale well with higher MPs (at least not before 1.07), if you really want to "powerlevel" to p30 go for MP0/1.

Check here for some thoughts on gearing up.

Link to your character for convenience: http://eu.battle.net...58/hero/7264383

Seems like you have *not* read anything about the wizard yet. Talking about 45% crit and 2.51 break point suggests you're going for a CMWW build, but then you're talking about "powerlevel" - doesn't quite fit. If you want to "powerlevel", go Archon, IAS doesn't really matter, crit chance should roughly be a tenth of your crit damage, and you are fine with ~30k HP and less than 600 AR. Also, "efficiency" doesn't scale well with higher MPs (at least not before 1.07), if you really want to "powerlevel" to p30 go for MP0/1.

Thanks for the hook up, read it, bought a witching hour and trying archon build out with my gear now, prolly need more MS.
    Going for Inna's or Lacunis next - If I got one of those I'll go for a new Weapon since mine lacks any CD.

Good plan? What stats should I look for?

Thanks for the hook up, read it, bought a witching hour and trying archon build out with my gear now, prolly need more MS.
    Going for Inna's or Lacunis next - If I got one of those I'll go for a new Weapon since mine lacks any CD.

Good plan? What stats should I look for?

Edit: Works pretty good, only death were Reflect DMG Elites - should I get more LoH?
    LoH is basically useless at your DPS and spec. Go for a weapon with life steal. And you definitely want some more vitality; 20k life sounds a bit too low (unless you feel absolutely perfectly fine, to each his own). As you said, get a new weapon, Lacunis or Inna's for the MS, and bump your life a bit - then you should be on the right track. As your budget allows, you could get some more int on almost every slot, especially rings and amulets (life on hit and life regeneration are quite useless in most situations, imho).
    Thanks, really appreciate the help. With my budget now (20mil) - What's the better upgrade? Lacunis or Inna's? And how much should I spent on one of them? And how much for the weapon? A black weapon with Socket, 70+ CD, Lifesteal and 800+ dps, are those the stats I should look for?
    As for Inna's vs Lacunis: I personally prefer Lacunis, because pants is a slot where you lose a ton of EHP if you go with Inna's. Inna's is considered to be the "BiS pants", but you need to be able to compensate the loss of EHP on that slot. With Lacunis you can get around this issue by getting one with low or no crit at all and some AR/vit instead - not too expensive, not too much of an EHP loss, but still a DPS upgrade (and the important MS).

You're on the right track for your weapon search. I'd recommend using a tool or spreadsheet (see here for a list) to compare different weapons and get the one that gives you the biggest DPS boost. You can play around with some of the values to get a good deadl (for example more DPS and int but not crit damage). After you've done the other upgrades, just set yourself a personal budget for the weapon. Weapons are extremely important for any character and always one of the most expensive pieces of gear, and therefore take up a big chunk of your budget.
    as you can see on my profile now, I have bought some Lacunis (even tho my ehp had to suffer a bit for the switch, I will take care of this after the weapon) - I still cant make up for a good weapon - my set budget is about ~45 mil now - what should I look for? The BiS List doenst give me quite the kick to find the right one.. a Echoing Fury? What do I have to expect for 45m? 150+ int, socket, 50+ CD, 900+ dps, 2,3 life steal and black weapon? or should I look for a random rare?

as you can see on my profile now, I have bought some Lacunis (even tho my ehp had to suffer a bit for the switch, I will take care of this after the weapon) - I still cant make up for a good weapon - my set budget is about ~45 mil now - what should I look for? The BiS List doenst give me quite the kick to find the right one.. a Echoing Fury? What do I have to expect for 45m? 150+ int, socket, 50+ CD, 900+ dps, 2,3 life steal and black weapon? or should I look for a random rare?

My experience in terms of weapons is Int and CD are generally highely overpriced for mid value weapons, i.e., around the 1-50 mil budget range.

Assuming you're running in Archon spec primarily, what you should look for is a wand with a socket and life steal, around the 1050-1100 DPS range. Alternatively look for a high CD weapon with no socket, like 80+, since those can often be underpriced. You are welcome to compare lower dps weapons, like 900 with int+CD+OS+LS but they might not give as much of a dps boost. Also, I recommend looking at black weapons because you can stack a lot of extra dps using items with elemental affixes like zuni boots, triumvirate OH, and tal's amulet.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    ^I second the above. I often work around the same budget and I often can get a better weapon by going for higher dps on weapon but dropping either a socket or cd. Say a weapon with 1200dps and a socket can be had for the same price range as a weapon with 900 dps with crit damage +socket, the former weapon giving me more overall damage.
    been looking for wand with 80+cd + life steal, sorted after dps -> 5 items above 1150+
    1 is 200mil, 1 is elemental dmg the other three give me around 5-10k damage boost (one of them is only for buyout (50m)
    looking for a wand with socket and lifesteal there's nothing in my pricerange (not even close)

found a echoing fury with 1048 dps, 163 int, 75 cd, 2,3 life steal (too low?) that gives me 12k dps for 43m

I actually thought for 40-50m I could get atleast 20k+ more dps :x

Gonna keep looking.. :P
    almost had my dreamwand (3% LS, Socket, Blackweapon + 1170+ dps) -> lost the auction :
    I'm pretty desprate right now, are axes and spears and options for me? the only bad thing is that they're slower right? so considering that I'm prolly gonna stick to Archon for a while now it doenst matter right?

almost had my dreamwand (3% LS, Socket, Blackweapon + 1170+ dps) -> lost the auction :
    I'm pretty desprate right now, are axes and spears and options for me? the only bad thing is that they're slower right? so considering that I'm prolly gonna stick to Archon for a while now it doenst matter right?

It doesn't matter a lot, but be sure to check how much dps you gain from each for the cost. The lower attack speed will result in lower char sheet dps for weapons with the same tooltip dps. They might be cheaper though because not a lot of people seem to use them.
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    got a weapon now + a cheap triumvirate and cheap zuni boots

now its time for me to get some survivability - I'm thinking about buying a mempo with vit (to lose the 25% fire dmg from my andy's and to get a socket) the other thing I could do is get a Vile Ward with high int/vit - what would you recommend or even another item? I got 50m spare..
    Yes, definitely buy a Mempo. That Andariel's hurts ;-)

You could use 1 of these 50 million to give some love to one of your followers. That is, if you don't play in groups all the time. At least give them some magic find gear, or whatever you feel like (XP, freezing, tanking, ...)

Vile Ward might be a good idea, but make sure you get a really good one (high int value) - I feel they're a bit overprices. Just because of their awful look they should be for free, imho :P

I'd suggest to get rid of your rings. Now that you have 3LS on your weapon you really don't need LoH/life regen anymore. And since you already have Zuni boots, you might look into a Zuni Pox (and maybe even a Zuni Marrow, though I don't know about the current price range, just a thought).
    I'm actually liking the idea of Storm Crow for Archon dps over an Andy's Visage. If you find one with 4.5% crit or so it should be about the same dps as a visage if you have a black weapon, maybe more. The only downside is you lose the socket. I also like the APoC because I use WW to refresh Archon when needed, and the LoH adds a little more survival when outside of Archon.

Another way to raise survivability and dps is to get a zuni ring. The 130 int from 2pc is great for dps and it comes with resist baseline for survival. I dont' know EU AH prices but if you get one with decent bonus damage it should be a dps upgrade over either of your rings.

Vile Ward is also good for extra EHP. You can also try getting a pair with extra str for a bit more armor, though it's probably not worth paying much extra for as oppsed to more vit, int, or even physical resist.
    Thanks for the fast answers, you're awesome!

I'm going to eq my follower with some +exp gear and I'll go for a Mempo first for around 30mil (250+ int and vit) then I'll go and farm so more money to buy a zuni ring (the acceptable ones start at 25-35m, which is over my budget now).

Vile Ward and maybe a Tal Rasha Chest with more Vitality is going to come after (when the cash is ready).

Meanwhile I'll try to get my hands on a Hellfire Ring and keep on farming Alkaizers Route on MP0 - or should I go for MP1?
    Don't know when the patch will come out, but I really think MP3-4 will prolly be more efficient with the EXP-Boost, havent tried it yet but is it playable with Archon? What Stats should I aim for?
    Got the Mempo and a Pox now, I switched my build a bit and started playing with Archon:Teleport and Storm Armor:Scrumble and love it!
    Clearing the Alkaizer Run takes approx. 9-14 minutes on MP0. My gear for that matter feels very solid - what I'm missing is the Hellfirering for the EXP-Bonus.

Due to the fact that the patch will roll out soon and I want some variety and be able to play & have fun with my friends on higher MP - I'm thinking about getting some pieces to put up a "Set" for a viable CMWW build.

What do you think about this? And how many pieces do I have to exchange in order to make the build work? My gear now misses any APoC so getting a Chantodos Set (Will with 1,76+ AS, High Int with Setbonus, 10% Crit, 20~ APoC etc.) would be probably be my first move. (cant do it right away, pretty unlucky loot atm, stuck on 11mil)

I really don't know what I should do, playing above MP3 is a pain in the ass, and I really need that Hellfirering and want to play with my friends in a group.

Thanks for reading :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes