TryHard: Wizard 1.0.5 Guide

Hello again fellow Wizards, I've created a 1.0.5 updated class guide! In it I've spoken about the Critical Mass build, how to gear correctly and discussed the 1.0.5 patch notes and how they have affected the class as a whole. If you have any questions feel free to ask here :)

Video Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maTnVXz80co&feature=plcp
    Still here for those who haven't watched it :)
    I Just dinged my wizz lvl 60 yesterday, and it helped my alot!
    Thank you very much for making these videos
    nice wizrad guide man keep up the good work
    I usually like your guides a lot but this guide was a disappointment. You pretty much just read the patch notes and showed the same CM spec as usual.

Instead of just being negative, here is some constructive ideas for future (wizard) guides:

- Classify specs as solo player builds or multiplayer builds. Internet builds usually have a high emphasis on singleplayer farming - so many players out there are clueless that for team play different skills are really powerful (Monk's "Cyclone Strike" or Wizard's "Slow Time-Time Warp" a good example) while other skills becomes much worse (like Wizard's "Archon").

- Pros and cons between different MP0 and high-MP builds/skills. (You mention Wizard's "Archon" as a good example - frost nova is another good example). There should be a big difference for most players if they farm Paragon level on MP0 or items/challenge with higher MP.

- 2 set bonuses - If you know a bit about the set bonuses for sets usually seen on other classes you can get some really good upgrades for really few money. Like search for some IK helm + gloves with INT on them - no warrior wants them and no Wizard is browsing them. Same with Natalya's set. Not BiS items, but possible a huge upgrade for many for a small price.

- In the end of this guide you say this patch got nothing really new. Please at least try this Meteor CM team play build - http://eu.battle.net...XQgO!fgY!ZcZYZZ (same gears as yours - just go crit damage rather than attack speed). Personally I hate Energy Twister - this meteor build is by FAR the funniest build I have played in D3, and the primary reason my main character is still my Wizard. The build works wonders in any team, but I can recommend testing it with a "Cyclone Strike-Implosion" monk in any kind of gear.
    Thanks for the video

I tried the build but it didnt suit me. I bought some cheap crit chance stuff and went up to 45,5. With dps 69-70k. It was too slow, and my arcane was empty after some tornados.

Where can I find the archon build?
    Maybe you can give me some advice?

My Wiz: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Enkeria-1978/hero/2096791
    Seems also my character havent been updated. I have a socket helmet and more now. You might also see my old build if you check it.

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Quote from Bagstone

Quote from Enkeria

Where can I find the archon build?

http://www.diablofan...dating-for-105/
    for gear: http://www.diablofan...ng-wizard-gear/

Thank yooou!

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Thanks for the video.
    I love this build, and I mostly liked the guide, but there is 1 thing I don't really agree with.

Why go Force Weapon for the 15% damage when you can go Slow Time for the 20% damage + attack speed and movement speed debuffs.

You are clearly speaking about High monster power (Energy Armor instead of Storm Armor, and you talk about Archon for low MP). The only bonus of force weapon is because is up more than Slow Time, but if you are in high MP when you need a moment to kill mobs Slow Time is 100% better also because you pratically have it up constantly.

Also if you want to use this build on low MP you should use Teleport and Storm Armor Scramble to maximixe your speed. If you have High enough DPS you don't really need to buff your DPS anymore and should focus on speed.

The only motivation to go Force Weapon is because it incrases you Damage Number and you can say you have 115K dps instead of 100K dps. But someone with Slow TIme - Time Warp will do 120k DPS and slow their enemy attack speed while their DPS number is still 100K.
    You should not just look at the raw numbers (20% Slow Time vs 15% Force Weapon) but also at the context.

-If you're using Archon, Slow Time is useless (can't cast it in Archon form).
    -If you're using Storm Armor/Shocking Aspect, lots of things get hit outside your bubble and don't benefit from Slow Time.
    -You need to cast Slow Time, which can cause problems if you're low on arcane power (especially against a few mobs, like a single elite that's left from a pack and your APoC values are kinda "meh").
    -You need to cast Slow Time over and over again which costs not only AP but also time, and during this time you can't deal damage.
    -Force Weapon increases damage against everything for quite a long time. Slow Time only works on a limited space around you and for a very short time.
    -.... many many more minor points.

I personally found Slow Time to be most effective in groups. And these groups said that despite the DPS gain, they wanted me to pick other spells. Especially in CMWW setup there's not really a slot for Slow Time unless you give up on Teleport, which is not an option for me as I'm the one who quickly teleports though whole levels to search for elite packs on key/uber runs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Slow Time and think it's an underrated spell, I agree that it should be mentioned, but it's not all as black and white as it comes across in your post.
    Quote from Bagstone

You should not just look at the raw numbers (20% Slow Time vs 15% Force Weapon) but also at the context.

-If you're using Archon, Slow Time is useless (can't cast it in Archon form).
    -If you're using Storm Armor/Shocking Aspect, lots of things get hit outside your bubble and don't benefit from Slow Time.
    -You need to cast Slow Time, which can cause problems if you're low on arcane power (especially against a few mobs, like a single elite that's left from a pack and your APoC values are kinda "meh").
    -You need to cast Slow Time over and over again which costs not only AP but also time, and during this time you can't deal damage.
    -Force Weapon increases damage against everything for quite a long time. Slow Time only works on a limited space around you and for a very short time.
    -.... many many more minor points.

I personally found Slow Time to be most effective in groups. And these groups said that despite the DPS gain, they wanted me to pick other spells. Especially in CMWW setup there's not really a slot for Slow Time unless you give up on Teleport, which is not an option for me as I'm the one who quickly teleports though whole levels to search for elite packs on key/uber runs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Slow Time and think it's an underrated spell, I agree that it should be mentioned, but it's not all as black and white as it comes across in your post.

Small note, Slow time doesn't cost AP. It does use an attack animation, though that has minor impact on effective dps if your attack speed is sufficiently high. I prefer teleport since I find survival more important than dps, even against ubers, but that's just a personal preference.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Loroese is correct: costs 0 AP, uses an attack animation.
    Quote from Bagstone

Most of what you said is right. But, as I said, in the video he is talking about High MP (mentioning Archon for low MP).

Slow Time in groups is great but also if you are doing High MP with this crit build (no Storm Armor, slow movement, mobs all packed together, no Archon, ecc...) Slow Time is better than Force Weapon.

You also have to think about the Movement Speed reduction (mobs take more time to escape your frozen nova range) and attack speed (less damage for you and more time between mobs cast animations).

If you prefer Teleport+Illusionist to quickly find the packs I won't disagree, I'm just straight up comparing Force Armor vs Slow Time in High MP situations.

Also Slow TIme with Stretch Time is very good for survivability with the 10% attack speed (more AS = more crits = more critical mass = enemy frozen longer).
    Oooops, thanks Loroese & Maka. Should've looked it up, I was damn sure that spell costs AP.

@Amras: I agree in that particular case - on high MPs, especially in groups, Slow Time is better than Force Weapon. My personal preference for CMWW is Teleport > Slow Time > Force Weapon, so we're in the same boat here I guess (that there are situations where Slow Time is better than Force Weapon).

Sorry for slightly derailing this thread, but I think it's important for others who read this to know all the pros and cons about a certain spell before picking it.
    Thanks a lot for the vid. Finally I was able to stunlock the ubers in MP5.
    Nice guide
    This is an excellent guide for my alt wizard. He's not level 60 yet but is approaching quickly.

Thanks!
    The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life.
    First legendary guide is out tomorrow!
    boooo release it today :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes